Markeith Williams DB 2022 - COMMITS !!!

97- 8 seniors = 89
89- 7 walkons on ship = 82
82- 9 NFL guys = 71
71 - 8 transfers/retirements = 63 (22 spots!)

We have already had 4 transfers and used 2 spots for August kids against ‘22. The 9 NFL guys could be a BIG reach. If they return, I expect more transfers as kids 2 or 3 deep won’t want to sit.

Thus I could see us get to 22 before NSD leaving room for at least one portal kid in the summer and potentially more towards ‘23 if more spring transfers happen.
82-9 = 73 on my calculator 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
97- 8 seniors = 89
89- 7 walkons on ship = 82
82- 9 NFL guys = 71
71 - 8 transfers/retirements = 63 (22 spots!)

We have already had 4 transfers and used 2 spots for August kids against ‘22. The 9 NFL guys could be a BIG reach. If they return, I expect more transfers as kids 2 or 3 deep won’t want to sit.

Thus I could see us get to 22 before NSD leaving room for at least one portal kid in the summer and potentially more towards ‘23 if more spring transfers happen.
The thing people don't get is the class was going to be on smallish side as I mentioned previously on here, then cooney came out and said 16 was a possibility ( I don’t see that low), but still. We lose a lot of vets in ‘21 and they’ll be hitting the portal and using spots for 23 would be silly since it’s a loaded class in Sfla. This is the perfect class to go lighter on since the talent is lacking down here.

Just because you can get 22 and fit it in the 85 doesn’t mean you want to do that especially when the portal will be a factor.

Finally watched his tape and man this kid is a perfect CF type of safety. Tailor made for a single high safety scheme. Long, rangy, good speed, good movement. Lot of things to like. He would be my 1B to Kamari's 1A. Idk how realistic Mathews is for this class but he would slot in just ahead of Markeith if he wanted in as well.

Advertisement
The thing people don't get is the class was going to be on smallish side as I mentioned previously on here, then cooney came out and said 16 was a possibility ( I don’t see that low), but still. We lose a lot of vets in ‘21 and they’ll be hitting the portal and using spots for 23 would be silly since it’s a loaded class in Sfla. This is the perfect class to go lighter on since the talent is lacking down here.

Just because you can get 22 and fit it in the 85 doesn’t mean you want to do that especially when the portal will be a factor.
82-9 = 73 on my calculator 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ha! Phone typing by an old guy is never good.

82-9=73
73-8=65 (20 with 2 already signed giving us 22)

I’ve also been drinking all week on vacation.

Last edited:
1628099505362.jpeg

This year especially , we lose a lot of front line guys. Then load up on ’23.

I don't know, Crib. Every time we say we need to go light we undershoot. Every friggin time. Kids like Hightower or Irvin (the younger) don't want to sit behind the starters so they transfer out. Others are pushed out. Kids like Avantae do stupid stuff off the field, some medically retire.

Covid and the portal bottleneck created a unique situation the past year or two where we saw less attrition. Do you think that continues? Personally, I'd prefer taking talent that wants in now over taking talent that may want in later. We always had room in the past.

Advertisement
I don't know, Crib. Every time we say we need to go light we undershoot. Every friggin time. Kids like Hightower or Irvin (the younger) don't want to sit behind the starters so they transfer out. Others are pushed out. Kids like Avantae do stupid stuff off the field, some medically retire.

Covid and the portal bottleneck created a unique situation the past year or two where we saw less attrition. Do you think that continues? Personally, I'd prefer taking talent that wants in now over taking talent that may want in later. We always had room in the past.
The portal is the new normal. Some years heavier than others.

The portal is the new normal. Some years heavier than others.

Fair enough. But if we're at 10 (8+2) already and not getting to 20, then who gets left without a chair? Because we bust through 20 with 2-3 DEs, 2 more DBs, 1-2DTs, 2 more OL, 1 TE, 1-2 more LB/Strikers. And that's not considering a portal punter later in the cycle.

Where is Silvera going? Maybe the 6th round lol?

The counter to that is that he will have nothing to gain by staying an extra year, so why not leave after this season, regardless of where he's drafted? JHH and Miller are different. They are still developing. Even if they get a draft grade, they could see a significantly higher pay day if they stay an extra season depending on how big of a step they take this year,

Advertisement
Fair enough. But if we're at 10 (8+2) already and not getting to 20, then who gets left without a chair? Because we bust through 20 with 2-3 DEs, 2 more DBs, 1-2DTs, 2 more OL, 1 TE, 1-2 more LB/Strikers. And that's not considering a portal punter later in the cycle.
I think the hypothetical cap of 20 is for incoming high school players, not counting the portal players we took that are counting toward this year.

I see us taking the following

QB: 1
RB: 0
WR: 2-3
TE: 0-1
OL: 3-4
DL: 3-4
LB: 2
Striker: 0-1
CB: 3-4
S: 1-2

with the quantity variables at some positions, I think the crunch to get 20 or under ends up working itself out.

Advertisement

We can easily hit all our needs with a 20 man class.

1 QB
2 WR
1 TE
3 OL (we dont need more we already took a OG transfer early this year)
2 DT
2 DE
1 LB
3 Safety/Striker
4 CB
1 P

If we have an extra schollie, we can go with that 3rd DE or DT depending on what happens with Roberts.

If we dont have 20, and only have 19 to give out, i would pass on TE this year or let go of one of our two WR commits (assuming Curtis switches).

Advertisement
Back