Mark Stoops and Kentucky

LOL. Stoops has yet to win an SEC game, finished 2-10 last years with wins over mid major team, took a worse UF team to OY than we beat yet is hailed as some successful HC. A total unknown at best at this point.

Advertisement
If you do not think he would leave kentucky for miami, you are crazy. He has been here, he knows the talent in the area because he is recruiting, and he knows Kentucky will never be a powerhouse in SEC. His road to NC titles is much more clear in ACC with Miami. Another positive, if COley is being micro-managed, Stoops will probably keep him and give him a shot which could save the recruiting class a little.

Knows Kentucky will never be a powerhouse in the SEC? That's the thing about good coaches, they don't believe it when fans etc tell them they can't do things. Look at what Franklin did at ******* Vandy. UK has a massive athletic and football budget, excellent SEC facilities including Nutter Field House (indoor field) and more. They have huge boosters. They can throw a lot of money at a problem. Him leaving UK for UM is certainly no where near a slam dunk.

What Franklin did at Vandy? You mean max that program out at 9 wins and leave for a better job? Like Stoops can do with Kentucky. Slam dunk.

as someone who really doesnt follow much on the coaching front, can someone sell me on him? What has he done/what is he known for? Would he be a top notch hire? Looking at his career he coached at Arizona then FSU for 2 years then went 2-10 with kentucky. Clearly he needs time, and he recruited well in his first offseason, but I guess I'm just curious why people are sold on him. And really, not trolling or flaming or anything, just dont follow the coaching scene much and would like to know more about him than a quick wikipedia search. Thanks

Took FSUs 108th ranked D to 4th in 2 years. Finished 2nd overall a year later. Then was hired at UK

He is my #1 choice. Why?

He will have the defense fixed almost immediately. Plus, he is a defensive coach who doesn't have a conservative outlook offensively. He hired Neal Brown at UK, who has a spread background (was an OC at Troy and TTech prior to UK). He is a strong recruiter, he is working miracles in that department at UK. Plus, he has worked here and understands the area.

Very solid rationale, Diego. He's shown what he can do with FSU/UM caliber athletes on defense unlike Fat Al, who never proved anything as a defensive mind. Stoops struggled as a DC at Arizona, but he improved quite a bit with access to FSU talent. And he's shown the willingness to hire a high-octane OC. I've come around more on Stoops, and this rationale is what has started to sway me.

LOL. Stoops has yet to win an SEC game, finished 2-10 last years with wins over mid major team, took a worse UF team to OY than we beat yet is hailed as some successful HC. A total unknown at best at this point.
Last year was year his first season. And he already has a many wins as last season. The point is the guy is a **** of a coach and a recruiter. He al so knows this area well. From his time at Miami and at FSU. I think he'd be a home run hire. Sometimes records don't tell the story. Because you know Golden won 8 games twice at temple.

Advertisement

All this tells me is you don't watch much college football.

FWIW, who knows his mindset. Most coaches I know are ultra competitive and want to win as big as they can.

Stoops can't win a title at UK, he can here.

Although if we did come sniffing around, I think UK would throw as much money at him as he wants.

If you do not think he would leave kentucky for miami, you are crazy. He has been here, he knows the talent in the area because he is recruiting, and he knows Kentucky will never be a powerhouse in SEC. His road to NC titles is much more clear in ACC with Miami. Another positive, if COley is being micro-managed, Stoops will probably keep him and give him a shot which could save the recruiting class a little.

This would be a nice pick up for sure! The question would be the gator job might be open and the Michigan why would he pick us over them

Advertisement
as someone who really doesnt follow much on the coaching front, can someone sell me on him? What has he done/what is he known for? Would he be a top notch hire? Looking at his career he coached at Arizona then FSU for 2 years then went 2-10 with kentucky. Clearly he needs time, and he recruited well in his first offseason, but I guess I'm just curious why people are sold on him. And really, not trolling or flaming or anything, just dont follow the coaching scene much and would like to know more about him than a quick wikipedia search. Thanks

Took FSUs 108th ranked D to 4th in 2 years. Finished 2nd overall a year later. Then was hired at UK

He is my #1 choice. Why?

He will have the defense fixed almost immediately. Plus, he is a defensive coach who doesn't have a conservative outlook offensively. He hired Neal Brown at UK, who has a spread background (was an OC at Troy and TTech prior to UK). He is a strong recruiter, he is working miracles in that department at UK. Plus, he has worked here and understands the area.
He's moved up on my list to #1. It used to be Narduzzi but I'd rather someone that knows the south florida landscape. Bring this man in before Michigan or UF scoop him up.
Would love to have Butch, but I just don't think its a realistic option

FWIW, who knows his mindset. Most coaches I know are ultra competitive and want to win as big as they can.

Stoops can't win a title at UK, he can here.

Although if we did come sniffing around, I think UK would throw as much money at him as he wants.
If he comes it won't be for the money. More for the opportunity to win big. Problem is, we may be competing with two programs that have way more money to spend especially with Golden's buyout that we are stuck with.

Advertisement
UK will pay Stoops base salary of $11 million over five years. Mark Stoops' contract incentives. $1.6 million a year in media agreements and endorsements, rising to $2 million in his fifth year. $100,000 bonus for each SEC win a season beyond the first win.

We can actually pay him more than what he is making if the report is true that Al Folden is making 2.4. Even if UK ups the $ I doubt they would pay him 1.5 to 2 million more a year to out bid our 2.5.

He is my #1 choice. Why?

Very solid rationale, Diego. He's shown what he can do with FSU/UM caliber athletes on defense unlike Fat Al, who never proved anything as a defensive mind. Stoops struggled as a DC at Arizona, but he improved quite a bit with access to FSU talent. And he's shown the willingness to hire a high-octane OC. I've come around more on Stoops, and this rationale is what has started to sway me.

Fortunately, there's another coach available, and you don't have to guess what he can do with FSU/UM talent - oh, that's right, starting from **** near scratch, he established the greatest team ever fielded.

No guessing. No hoping. No supposition. No assumptions. Not even a leap of faith.

Butch Davis.

Would love stoops but I think he has promised UK at least 3 years with all the upgrades they have committed to and UK will overpay to keep him. I'd be more than fine with him or Butch

Advertisement
No way n **** he's coming......Kentucky is giving him anything he wants.....I know

Exactly, I am from there originally and everyone there loves him and he will not leave in the near future.

You guys are wacky. Kentucky can give him anything except a chance to win. Winners don't spend their career at Kentucky. It's a stepping stone job.

I am a huge Mark Stoops fan. He coached some of the greatest ball hawking db's in Canes history. Would love to see him in orange and green again someday.

I'm alright with Coley. He found Kaaya and it's pretty clear to me now that Kaaya is the real deal.

Best looking **** QB I've seen at Miami in a long, long time.

if u think UK wont outbid Miami ..... then look at what they pay coach Cal. There Athletic Director is one of the best in the business and wont let him leave. I would love if Stoops came but it isn't gonna happen. We're 2 years too late. I love the fact that he is pulling recruits away from Ohio Taint. He also is from Youngstown Ohio and has big ties to the top high schools in Ohio. He also has Drew Barker redshirting who I hear is a stud. I hear it all the time from my family in lexington about how they will be good soon and I used to laugh but now I have no reaction...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back