Mark Richt's missed time out?

pimpcane1

Junior
First of all it was great to see fellow canes fans in Dallas. We represented well even though the outcome sucked. Now lets get to the point of this thread. Something no one has talked about in the criticism of Richt is his lack of calling a timeout on the Chase "catch" near the endzone(LSU's second TD drive).

That play happened right in front of our seats and I thought it was incomplete at the time. The play was a huge momentum shift in the game. I went back and watched the broadcast and sure enough Chase double caught the ball as he was diving for the endzone the ball hits the truff out of bounds. Regardless Richt should have called a timeout when LSU was trying to hurry up and run a play before a potential review.

The play in question is replayed on the TV broadcast below starting at the 59:30 mark with a good angle. Also at the 59:38 mark show's a great view of the obvious hold by Charles where he bear hugs Jackson and Johnson leading to the TD.

Last edited:
Advertisement
corch.png

Its 50/50. When it happened live I thought that they could have ruled it a touchdown or incomplete. If he called a time out I would have been upset.

Advertisement
Exactly why I dont think he should be calling plays. Head coach has to be on top of everything. Special Teams is a disaster. Much rather he do that than call plays.

Richt needs to put somebody in charge of reviewing plays and to call down to Richt to call a timeout or challenge, if necessary. They do not have a dedicated person for this.

Its 50/50. When it happened live I thought that they could have ruled it a touchdown or incomplete. If he called a time out I would have been upset.

I disagree on it being 50/50. But regardless lets assume its not overturned. A TO in that situation allows you to set up your goal line defense.

Miami at that point with no momentum could not afford another TD.

Advertisement
richt seems a little out of it lately. not like he was his first two years, maybe he's dealing with something.

First of all it was great to see fellow canes fans in Dallas. We represented well even though the outcome sucked. Now lets get to the point of this thread. Something no one has talked about in the criticism of Richt is his lack of calling a timeout on the Chase "catch" near the endzone(LSU's second TD drive).

I talked about it right after the game on this site...Yup, no brainer timeout.

richt seems a little out of it lately. not like he was his first two years, maybe he's dealing with something.

I agree he seems to lack any energy. He was mentally checked out after LSU went up 10-3.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back