Mark Richt | Post Practice | 4.14.16

Unless Allison tears it up over the summer, it's...

1. Kaaya
2. Shirreffs
3. Rosier
4. Allison

Allison could very well pass Rosier as a #3 , but he'd more than likely redshirt anyway as #3 . Richt tried to spell it out, but left the window open for guys to work over the summer and improve their stock. He knows who the #2 is TODAY, but that can change. It can change, but I'm not sure it will.

Advertisement
Did anyone else notice the smirk Richt had at the 6:03 when discussing Gerald Willis? I thought it was pretty telling...I think he knows the ACC won't be ready for Willis.

Did anyone else notice the smirk Richt had at the 6:03 when d
iscussing Gerald Willis? I thought it was pretty telling...I think he knows the ACC won't be ready for Willis.

Either that or he's smirking because people keep asking about a 2nd string guy.

Something that's extremely refreshing about hearing Richt speak on the team, compared to our previous two coaches: everything he says and does makes sense based on what everyone else knows to be true. The depth chart, drills, Spring Game format, talking about who is doing well and who isn't, installing various aspects of the offensive and defensive schemes and playcalling...

All coaches try to instill mental toughness in their teams in different ways. To me, it seemed like both Golden and Shannon tried to do it through various mind games and psychological ploys. Whether it was Golden's catch-phrases and transparently outlandish depth charts, or Shannon's infamous doghouse, both coaches seemed to be in such a hurry to "outthink" their own players that the actual toughness never came. Richt, on the other hand, seems to want to instill mental toughness through physical action - mat drills, faster tempo at practice, etc. - something most young football players can relate to much easier. This all feeds into what DJack was talking about in his interview... trust. You don't have to have a "wide-open" competition with a new "starter" named every week to motivate your team. Just put the guys out there that are doing the work and tell the guys that aren't, "you want that job? Take it." That's how you build both toughness and trust. And it doesn't take a psychology degree to figure it out.

Advertisement
Richt was pretty coy about the fullback position. Especially when asked about Njoku occasionally lining up there. Wherever you put him he's a mismatch.

I know I will get negged for this but as a fan that's been presented mediocrity for 13 years I'm a little worried that with Richt not calling plays for 8 years the game may have evolved past his play calling ability at an elite level. Do I still have my golden shades on?

Take off those silly "folden's shades and burn that **** TIE!

Miami has a "real head coach" in Mark Richt NOW!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back