Mark Richt on the ACC network

Advertisement
Advertisement
Every coach looks like Belichick and every QB like Brady when they face us...
Clemson did the same with Searles OL in the ACC ship.

But it goes to the difference between experienced old school coaches and x o stat nerds like Manny.

Good coaches see and coach those little details. I bet you we barely coach to look for physical tells or tendencies.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Well Miami didn’t stunt yesterday.
Miami always has its DL shoot gaps.

I think he’s saying that the D lineman would always give physical tell as to what gap they are going.

If I’m an OL and know what gap you are going to on the snap I can anticipate and beat my man or block my responsibility faster

Plus if the back has an idea where the DL is going then he can anticipate where his running lanes will be according to the play call

if our DL is tipping this off then I question how well we are coached

A major part of improving is self-scouting. Learn from every play, from every game. Use that learning to get better.

if our DL is tipping this off then I question how well we are coached

A major part of improving is self-scouting. Learn from every play, from every game. Use that learning to get better.
That’s asking too much of this staph. It’s above their pay grade.

Advertisement
I think there's more to it. I think his whole gimmicky defense was laid bare. If he doesn't change it, expect more of the same.
I agree, but also realize that his defense needs to be gimmicky. Like it or not, we just don't and have not had the athletes on defense to stop teams straight up. Manny's gimmicks help make up for some of that, but every now and then it is exposed in grand fashion. Perhaps in the near future with the Leonard Taylor's and James Williams of the world coming in, we will be better off, but it better not be with Blake Baker as DC.

I agree, but also realize that his defense needs to be gimmicky. Like it or not, we just don't and have not had the athletes on defense to stop teams straight up. Manny's gimmicks help make up for some of that, but every now and then it is exposed in grand fashion. Perhaps in the near future with the Leonard Taylor's and James Williams of the world coming in, we will be better off, but it better not be with Blake Baker as DC.
True, but if the gimmicks have been figured out, we need something different instead of continuing to try to make a failed scheme work ala Enos on offense. We simply can't give up 500+ rushing yards ever again. Time to evolve.

True, but if the gimmicks have been figured out, we need something different instead of continuing to try to make a failed scheme work ala Enos on offense. We simply can't give up 500+ rushing yards ever again. Time to evolve.
Agreed. It's a tough spot to be in, but there is a reason why these guys get paid 6 and 7 figures. Time for them to figure it out, cuz that was not something I ever want to see again.

Advertisement
Back