Mark Richt confirms Jarren Williams will likely play in 2018

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Not long after naming Malik Rosier his starter heading into fall camp, UM head coach Mark Richt confirmed to the press at the ACC Media Day Kickoff in Charlotte that true freshman QB Jarren Williams will likely see time in 2018 due to the new redshirt rule that allows freshmen to play in four games and retain the right to redshirt.

“Just imagine if this rule was in place a year ago,’’ Richt told the Miami Herald and other Media Day press. “Could have played ‘N’Kosi (Perry), could have played (Cade) Weldon, up to four games, and who knows what we would have found out?"

Going into his his 3rd year as Miami's head coach, Richt made clear that Williams will see the field in games where the outcome has been determined, which means his likely debut will come against Savannah State on Sept. 8th, barring a surprise blowout in the opener against LSU on Sept. 2.

“Now those guys are redshirted and it doesn’t really affect them, but it could affect Jarren Williams, being a true freshman— and really all of our true freshmen. I’d love to play them all, at one time or another, if possible. Sometimes the quarterback position could be the hardest one to just throw a guy in there for a few plays. But he’s got a much greater shot of playing this year because of the new rule... And I’m not saying he’s going to redshirt. He may play, period."

Richt also says it's likely most, if not all, freshmen from UM's heralded 2018 recruiting class will be playing this season, whereas last season they may have sat to retain eligibility.

“But I think it’s an awesome rule in general. And my goal is for me to play just about everybody we can play, because we know it’s not going to count against their eligibility.

Advertisement
YASSSSSSSS!!!!!!! This kid is my hope for savior at the QB position. His HS stats/highlights have me excited to see him play.

Wait just a follow up on this rule:
They have the option to play in only the first 4 games? Or in 4 total games throughout the season? TIA

Love the new redshirt rules and Williams should absolutely play. Had it been in effect last year we would've likely gotten a chance to see Perry a bit last year as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If Williams keeps improving like he did earlier in the year, he'll be playing more than a little this year - regardless of the new redshirt rules.

Advertisement
Looks like Nkosi, the croot fans gas-lite relentlessly, is on track of being a bust. You can't be hyped coming in then as a sophomore/RS Fr. and possibly get your spot snatched by a true freshman as a QB. Weldon to.

If this is true this will further reinforce my take on Florida QBs. They're cheeks.

Looks like Nkosi, the croot fans gas-lite relentlessly, is on track of being a bust. You can't be hyped coming in then as a sophomore/RS Fr. and possibly get your spot snatched by a true freshman as a QB. Weldon to.

If this is true this will further reinforce my take on Florida QBs. They're cheeks.
Taking it too far, obviously his hs coaches didn’t do enough in teaching him but he displays his ability for sure. He may not be ready yet but when he will be he is going to ball

Last edited:
Advertisement
Taking it too far, obviously his coaches didn’t do enough in teaching him but he displays his ability for sure. He may not be ready yet but when he will be he is going to ball

I know it was just spring game but nkosi looked impressive just like you’re saying I agree you cannot write of nkosi .. once hones it in upstairs look out mane

Same clowns crowning “Kosi da gawww” last year are now the same merry band of fools writing him off.

I told you people last year, like I’m telling you this year, don’t base your hard and fast opinions on minor little bits of information, or “insider” mumbo jumbo. Be open minded and flexible in your thinking.

Even real ”insiders” only see seconds of a QB practice, and even people that have access to other players that tell them what’s going on, that’s just some 19-year-old‘s opinion on quarterback performance. It could be a non-starting player that has no clue how to evaluate the quarterback’s performance.

Don’t fall for nonsense and use your logical thinking brains, anything’s possible

Advertisement
Back