Mark Pope improves on track times in one week

Advertisement
Day 1 starter. He's going to be a baller at Miami. I would imagine he returns punts as well.

One of the greatest mysteries are , a youngster is given a full / free ride .

Why wouldn’t the train like no other so they could be like no other ?

U have 4 years to define yourself till the real world smacks U in the face and no more free lunch.

I’m sixty and still remember my last day in school, many kids are shaving cream all over the place tearing things apart.

I just couldn’t understand it YOUR cheering to go to HERO TO ZERO WORLD ???

When I saw that I was determined to be like NO OTHER with the gift I was given.

Every single morning training and practice like I was going to lose it all in a second or wake up and I was nightmares of following a white line digging a ditch till someone says lunchtime.

It paid of till massive ankle dislocation tendon damage ended it all .

U ALL GET THE MESSAGE, MAYBE NOT A VERY FEW WOULD UNDERSTAND

GOCANES

- I think “National elite” is the lowest level that might qualify an athlete for the late season meets (New Balance/Nike/etc.). It’s an unnecessary “created” category to make kids feel elite. They could just as well just pick the top kids like they did for Golden South/West, or Keebler, etc
- Also, track has a huge D1; most of the schools that are D1-AA and some D2 in football are D1 in track. A lot like Basketball.
- an athlete would have to be far better than “National elite” in the sprints to get a full ride to a top sprint college (Big 12, SEC; USC, OR...)
- future Olympian is nearly impossible to predict on the sprint level. You might have a high school 10.0x Jeff Demps never make an Olympic Final and a 10.46 Tyson *** who becomes American Record holder. Schwartz is a talent, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he never made an Olympic team individually.

Its just a gauge for people to use to determine a guys speed as compared to others across the nation.

Advertisement
Can someone tell me what exactly “national elite” means? Is that future Olympian time? is that power 5 division one track scholarship fast, or is that just an arbitrary “he is pretty good” time? A “top 1%” type thing?

I have no idea, thanks in advance

There is a sent of standards that have been developed over many years for high school track and field. To meet or exceed these standards you are said to be elite in that event. It is for general track and does not take into account if the guy plays football, basketball, etc. Naturally, they mean more for a football player as they usually run track as a means to an end not an end in itself.
For example in the high school 100m--10.8 in the mark for national elite, 22.00--for 200m, 49.50- 400m, 7.05 for 60m, 6-6 in the high jump, etc.

I don’t know what the cutoff is, but it’s doesn’t have to be as high as Olympic caliber.

I believe it’s in the top percentage of national times, just don’t know the percent. Might be top 5 percent or something like that. It’s basically mostly high school times when I’ve looked at it on the flrunners web site.

Schwartz is the only runner that’s running times that are close to Olympic qualifying times from what I’ve seen (of the group that’s being discussed here).

Of course as it applies to high school boys and girls not to Olympic athletes who may have been training for 15 years or more in an event.

Mark Pope is fast. Better than that, he’s a fast football player as opposed to a fast track athlete. Elijah Moore, who many saw as a take and was practically uncoverable, ran 11.55. Again, good for a football player and he’ll probably be uncoverable at Ole Miss. But, I think Camron Davis’ 11.30 is “better” than most because he’s up against DL and LB. Davis and Wiggins may be the most underrated on the offensive side of the ball.

That said, the 60m times are a better gauge of how fast these players are for football.
Cameron has a personal best in the high school state regional last year at 10.94. It is early this year and he has had a slight injury I understand. Given him the rest of the up coming season.

Advertisement
Mark Pope is fast. Better than that, he’s a fast football player as opposed to a fast track athlete. Elijah Moore, who many saw as a take and was practically uncoverable, ran 11.55. Again, good for a football player and he’ll probably be uncoverable at Ole Miss. But, I think Camron Davis’ 11.30 is “better” than most because he’s up against DL and LB. Davis and Wiggins may be the most underrated on the offensive side of the ball.

That said, the 60m times are a better gauge of how fast these players are for football.

Agreed. And I'd say a 20-yard dash, if there was such a thing, would be an even better gauge.

Jumping off your 6’2” 190 point. What happened to the big fast backs? Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Sammie Smith all ran under 10.40.

https://web.stanford.edu/~clint/100m_nfl.htm

High school track was hand timed back then so they most likely weren't running as fast as there numbers claim. Just look at all the HS kids that don't get electronic 40 times claiming 4.3 40s then when they hit the combine 3 years later they are running 4.7s.

These were not hand times. And this was back when virtually no one ran sub-10. Calvin Smith was still a year away from running 9.93 - and that was at altitude - when Herschel ran 10.23. Y’all yungins don’t understand how much of a freak these big backs were.

10.23 (0.9) - Herschel Walker
10.34 (0.8) - Sammie Smith
10.44 (1.1) - Bo Jackson

-Combine times are semi-automatic electronic; you actually should add at least another .1-.14, if not more, to get an idea of what it would be FAT (fully automatic time)
- HS times were also run on cinder or tar; there were very few rubberized tracks that existed in the US outside of colleges.

You proved my point. In HS a lot of these kids are runing 4.3 then at the combine run 4.7 if you add another .1 second to it they are running 4.8. Also, if you ask most track guys they add .24 to hand time events. I'm not saying Walker isn't the fastest big guy of all time. He may be, but its not a coincidence that all of the fastest big guys just happened to be before electric timing. Also, look at Fournette who ran a 10.68 in HS. All of those times you gave where college guys. If fournette kept doing track in HS he could have been real close.

Advertisement
We will regret not going after Schwartz. He’s sort of a weirdo but that kinda speed kills in the college game

Nobody doubts his speed. The issue Miami (and a lot of other schools) had with him is that he probably is too good at Track.

This kid has broken a junior world record in the 100m for christ's sake.

I doubt he plays more than a season at Auburn before he switches to track full-time. While there's usually not a lot of $ in track, there is if you're a future Olympic medalist like Schwartz has a great shot at being

my understanding is that the times from this event are all very likely to improve as it's still considered early in the year for track. correct me if i am mistaken.

1. Fournette should’ve definitely qualified being that I was commenting more on size (220lbs+) than the when: High School or College. I don’t doubt he could’ve run sub-10.60
2. What makes you think that the times I posted for Walker, Smith, and Jackson are hand times? ...they’re not hand times. For track, hand times are NEVER to be expressed to the 100th. (Which leads to all the football confusion) To convert a hand time it must be rounded up to the nearest tenth, then .24 in races less than 400m must be added (.14 if 400m or longer.) I’m the type of track fan who would NEVER represent a hand time as an electronic one. When I can’t remember the exact hundredth, I use an “x”. (ex. 10.1x, never 10.1 - because the latter is a hand timing expression )
3. FAT has been around a LOT longer than you implied https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_automatic_time

But getting back to Pope...he should combine test in 3-4 years in 4.40 - 4.52, maybe SLIGHTLY faster. And I’d take that over a 4.2-something Schwartz who hasn’t significantly progressed in his route running and football IQ.

And for the poster who said Schwartz kind of speed kills in college game...I don’t see it. Guys catching the most balls on teams that fling it the most tend to be missed three stars or slower 4 stars. The 4.2x Guys are a threat but rare to see them take over a game on the P5, National Championship level teams. I’d take Pope, Wiggins, Ezzard and Hightower over Schwartz. Schwartz won’t be missed.

Fournette was 225 in HS
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/leonard-fournette-10142
FAT was around at the time, but only used for world records and olympics and was slowly being instituted for other institutions. I agree with your other points though. I haven't seen popes splits, but I can gauruntee he isn't using the blocks as effectively as Schwartz(and being good off blocks isn't going to help you in football). I

Advertisement
1. That’s not true. FAT was used in high school state meets and invitationals during the early 80’s. Golden South, Great Southwest, Golden West, Keebler, NCAA’s...these are not Olympics and often times there was zero chance a WR would be broken, these were high school and college meets. The failure rate was also higher back then so there were always back-up hand times.

Here’s proof:
1978 NCAA champs https://trackandfieldnews.com/images/stories/tfn_pdfs/ncaamenresultsbyyear/1978.pdf
1980 CA High School results http://lynbrooksports.prepcaltrack.com/ATHLETICS/TRACK/stateres.htm#1980

A few more things:
- It’s possible, though admittedly not likely, that Pope uses the blocks better than Schwartz. Not something you’d want to guarantee. Or, at least, I wouldn’t. Not without watching Pope start (which I’ve never seen). Schwartz has a good coach. Greg was tops in Dade in the early 80’s.
- Splits wouldn’t tell you if the blocks are being used efficiently. Now, if you’re talking about reaction time, that’s different, but reaction time isn’t normally measured in high school meets. And, if you are talking about reaction time, then you should know it’s the least important part of a 100m race (within reason).

Again, Pope’s not Schwartz...and I’m glad he’s not. He’ll serve Miami better as a receiver than Schwartz will at Auburn, imo.

In the NCAA championship there where attempts at WR(atleast 1 WR was broked for the freshman) which is why they where used and the first line of the CA article states that two sisters where going for WR.

It is VERY unlikely that a kid who has been doing track his whole life is worse at using blocks then some guy who just started this year. How many kids do you see come in first year and be great out of the blocks. I would bet a large sum of money on that. Of course there is a very tiny chance that schwartz just sucks on the blocks for whatever reason and pope somehow mastered it in a few months, but I would bet against it. It would be like if you took a top track athlete in the nation and had him play football his senior year and say I wouldn't guarantee Pope has better catching skills RIGHT NOW then the new kid. The splits would give you a good idea. If the kid has trouble out of the blocks especially because you can get splits that have a separate row for reaction time. If that kid has an outlier 0-10m split or even 0-20m split you have a VERY good chance that the kid is not using the blocks effectively. Maybe his initial drive phase form is off(which most of the time has to do with coming off the blocks incorrectly especially for someone who isn't new to running just new to using blocks). Or of course maybe the kid just isn't explosive(not enough fast twitch muscles or the like). For Pope we know this isn't the case the kid is very explosive.

Nobody doubts his speed. The issue Miami (and a lot of other schools) had with him is that he probably is too good at Track.

This kid has broken a junior world record in the 100m for christ's sake.

I doubt he plays more than a season at Auburn before he switches to track full-time. While there's usually not a lot of $ in track, there is if you're a future Olympic medalist like Schwartz has a great shot at being

A future Olympic medalist?? No he doesn't, i doubt he even qualifies for the Olympics. Marvin Bracy was way faster and barely qualified for the Olympics once.

I’ve given you the benefit of the doubt and I’ve given you several chances to save face...yet you can’t. So let me just say it: you don’t know **** about track. You don’t. You’ll probably attempt to clap back or hide from the massive “L” but you’ve made some embarrassingly ignorant statements in this thread and it only keeps getting worse with each post as you uncontrollably slide from clown-town to dummy-ville. You clearly don’t realize how incredibly stupid your WR attempt nonsense is. And then your comments about splits. LOL. LMFAO!

If you’re trolling me...good one. You win. If not, you’re an abject buffoon.

What did I say that is incorrect? Enlighten me. You are one of the guys that reads up about track on forums and then think he is the king of track knowledge. There is not just 1 WR for 100m dash. They have WR for Male and Female, by age, etc. At that event there was a kid going for the freshman WR. That is why they had the equipment there. Dissect my comment on splits. I can't wait to laugh at your dumb *** comment.

Advertisement
Back