Mark Emmert's latest on NIL

Advertisement
This follows a disturbing trend where rules aren't actually changed just not enforced. In addition to showing weakness, it also opens the door to the rule later being used against a school they don't like. Then they'll trot out a bull**** excuse like they never meant for it to be at the scale of what Miami's doing.

Advertisement
Emmett has one foot out the door of the sinking ship already.

Dude’s gonna slip right into the LSU Presidency after ******* up every decision he made running college football

Last edited:
This follows a disturbing trend where rules aren't actually changed just not enforced. In addition to showing weakness, it also opens the door to the rule later being used against a school they don't like. Then they'll trot out a bull**** excuse like they never meant for it to be at the scale of what Miami's doing.
I would think that too but only reason I think they have tied hands is due to Alabama hopping onboard. I think we all know that once Saban retires it will not be long before Dabo takes over so the Alabama administration understandably recognizes the financial impact of ensuring its dominance continues. Although not listed, California is another one but I believe they don't take effect until 2022 or 2023 if I'm not mistaken. I'm watching to see what Texas does because that's the last power state of the Big 3 (FL/Cali/TX).

I'd be willing to bet Emmert & NCAA begged Bama to ask the state not to do it but Bama wasn't going to be left behind as everyone can see that it's inevitable that this is going to happen soon on a national level.

So our boys can start getting PAID in July.....WOW!

Advertisement
We all understand the NCAA is a cartel for the university president's correct? Their job is to keep collegiate athletics as profitable as possible and create barriers or entry for any possible competition.

They are not here for fairness or equitable treatment or parity. Their role is to make the universities money.

Emmett has one foot out the door of the sinking ship already.

Dude’s gonna slip right into the LSU Presidency after ******* up every decision he made running college football

I don't know if it's a rule (unwritten or not), but I think that any former NCAA President should be barred from becoming a Division I-A University president or AD.

Who cares if Emmert becomes President at Harvard, but LSU should be out of the question. Just WAAAAAAY too many potential conflicts of interest and/or allegations of favoritism.

We all understand the NCAA is a cartel for the university president's correct? Their job is to keep collegiate athletics as profitable as possible and create barriers or entry for any possible competition.

They are not here for fairness or equitable treatment or parity. Their role is to make the universities money.

That’s one of their functions but that’s not their only function. They do set policy and make rules. They are fully and totally incompetent. Completely indecisive. Not only have they abdicated on the NIL issue, they still can’t come up with a set policy about transfers, counters, etc. How can college coaches plan and do any long-term or even medium term strategizing when they can’t even set numbers.

Additionally, their nearly criminal behavior (certainly unethical) in the Miami investigation exposed them as a sham organization with unclear and nefarious agendas.

Advertisement
That’s one of their functions but that’s not their only function. They do set policy and make rules. They are fully and totally incompetent. Completely indecisive. Not only have they abdicated on the NIL issue, they still can’t come up with a set policy about transfers, counters, etc. How can college coaches plan and do any long-term or even medium term strategizing when they can’t even set numbers.

Additionally, their nearly criminal behavior (certainly unethical) in the Miami investigation exposed them as a sham organization with unclear and nefarious agendas.
They set policy and make rules to keep the sport as profitable as possible.

There is no desire for fairness. There is a desire for the P5 conferences- and the top of those at that- to get into marquee games that bring revenue.

The NCAA is an organization setup by the schools and only has as much power as the schools want them to have.

The big bad boogeyman known as the ncaa was gutted a few years ago. They ain’t done **** to anyone in years. You think teams quit cheating? No. But the schools that were getting scapegoated every once in awhile grew tired of it, and the money’s too big now for them to sit back and take the buttfcking.

Ncaa is nothing more than bytch *** Roger Goodell. They have as much teeth as the owners give them.

I meannn.. this is great news for Miami, cause our state is of the few that allows it. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
"... The NCAA is an organization setup by the schools and only has as much power as the schools want them to have."
True, and the NCAA, in the past, used this setup to great effect against the members and select member (cough cough Miami cough cough). However...

Remember, the vast majority of NCAA staff are beta academic types, not athletics or business minded individuals. At their height, they basically wanted to neuter the implied power of (but not fully asserted) college athletics into a more compliant and subservient role to the academic overlords.

NCAA has taken advantage of various centers of gravity (and their disconnects from one another) on pick-a-topic. Yes, their authority derives from the members, not member. So if an issue didn't cause an outcry for members, then good luck member on fighting the man... again until recently. Its been great to see NCAA enforcement be revealed as slightly less incompetent than the police in a Benny Hill skit.

While the D1P5 led a charge with their breakaway rules vs the rest of D1 a few years back, the vanguard charge wasn't those schools, but key State legislators' (at that time) sabre rattling that then evolved into today's legislation. And what a wonderful comeuppance to those betas in the NCAA. In the early stages years ago, those fûcktards thumbed their noses at the politicians over NIL, transfer restrictions etc.; it took time, but those same politicians then replied, "hold my beer" and we have what we have, and will see tomorrow. I've said this a thousand times: its usually ok on a macro level to **** off one politician, but **** them all off and brace for impact bïtch. That was NCAAs fatal flaw--had they worked with politicians early on, they could have delayed, or at least better shaped, the pace of change that is now burning them to the ground.

As a quick aside, Jim Delany (fûck him and the horse he rode in on) single handedly delayed CFPO for what, a decade at least because of the veto power (through unanimous consent) the NCAA gave the Big 10? A clear act of (then) NCAA runs the show, not the members, because only a member spoke up.

Another issue NCAA has taken advantage of members vs member: Notre 🤮🤮🤮🤮 Dame. Who in the right mind would allow those short bus denizens their favored independent status? That certainly isn't the members, but again, not enough members (huge kudos to Ole Ball Coach for roasting them years ago on this) break the bottle on the table over it. In fact, our very own ACC is enabling the buffoonery! NCAA has the authority to act on that far beyond any of the members who have ceded their collective power to the douche bags in Indy. But they don't and the supposedly powerful members take it like a slapped gimp.

Now moving forward, NCAA has been fairly decimated wrt power and influence. Do they hibernate and wait for a return to glory? Does D1P5 leadership committee supplant NCAA and become the once and future hated king? I suspect the former will try, but the latter is the lead horse today.

Last edited:
They set policy and make rules to keep the sport as profitable as possible.

There is no desire for fairness. There is a desire for the P5 conferences- and the top of those at that- to get into marquee games that bring revenue.

The NCAA is an organization setup by the schools and only has as much power as the schools want them to have.

Yes that’s all true, it’s still doesn’t change the fact that they are poorly managed and inequitably run.

The big bad boogeyman known as the ncaa was gutted a few years ago. They ain’t done **** to anyone in years. You think teams quit cheating? No. But the schools that were getting scapegoated every once in awhile grew tired of it, and the money’s too big now for them to sit back and take the buttfcking.

Ncaa is nothing more than bytch *** Roger Goodell. They have as much teeth as the owners give them.

This is also true, but they could at least be making some timely administrative decisions, especially when it comes to transfers and counters for the upcoming season, yet they keep delaying their decisions. It’s unbelievable.

Advertisement
Back