Mark D'onofrio

FenianBastard

Thunderdome
this may not be the guy that gets the job done here but its too early to start bashing yet.
Not only is there a pile of youngsters on this Defense, there's a pile of youngsters who shouldnt be playing with any doubt in the back of their minds
and need to be trusting what he says. theres alot of people reading these sites.
Al Golden will get the job done here and i believe AG will not let anything stand in the way of that one way or the other

Advertisement
I actually have a lot of confidence in D'onofrio, and as long as we can stay healthy I'd expect this unit to be decent when all is said and done. The biggest issue he has right now is finding a way to get pressure. Hard to get creative with this many new faces on defense. This defense desperately needs to find someone who can create pressure on their own. Who is it going to be?

I'm just waiting for the NC State game, I said from Day 1 it will take a 1 1/2 years to flip the defense and that is around the NC State game. If we get to FSU and VT game and we're still clueless, we have to look into something different.

Advertisement
Plus, Golden is a Defensive guy himself (who specialized in DL). I'm still optimistic, just trying to be patient.

I would just like to see us finish a game.

We had BC on 4th down twice on their 2nd to last drive (Score was still 41-23)
Telemaque gets interference call & on the other they just made a nice catch.

If we stop them just once on that drive 41-23 looks a lot better and the "adjustments" have credentials.

As it stands they scored on that drive and were an inch away from scoring again.
BC was sending 5 guys out in routes each play.... the time we got burned to make it 41-30 was when NO ONE covered their RB on his wheel route. (of course that was a common theme all night)

The good news is we did play more man to man this game (all 3 turnovers came in man) & the MEs/blown coverages are all simple fixes, imo.

Our LBs are the weak link right now despite what people think of the DL.

tumblr_ksger1O6s31qz9bwro1_400.jpg

The biggest issue from last game that they need to correct quickly is picking up the RB out of the backfield. That killed us last game. I am not worried about Coach D though. He is gettin' it in. We will get better as the weeks roll.

Advertisement
D'onofrio ain't going nowhere as long as Golden is the head coach....best buds. So we better hope he can get the job done. Personally, I think we will be fine when the talent, experience, and depth improves.

I'm just waiting for the NC State game, I said from Day 1 it will take a 1 1/2 years to flip the defense and that is around the NC State game. If we get to FSU and VT game and we're still clueless, we have to look into something different.

I can get on board with this.

Also, after the Maryland game last year everybody was saying the same thing. By the end of the year, it was the defense that was winning us games, like USF where we won 6-3. Honestly, I'm concerned with the way D'Onofrio begins seasons at this point, and I hope that a weak defensive showing in the first game of the season will not become the norm from here on out, but I am confident the defense will improve dramatically over the course of the year. The biggest improvement should come against K-State this week, although the NC State game is where I too expect us to gel as a unit.

This team, once again, is loaded with young talent. Key word is young, these guys are going to make a lot of mistakes, and these mistakes make D'Onofrio look bad. It doesn't help when guys like McGee and Telemaque ***** up as well, and while I have a lot of hope for the younger guys, I hold out little for these two. Hopefully the freshmen begin pushing them to play better or snatch the position for themselves.

I'm still concerned about the defensive line. I believe they too will improve, but it is definitely our weakest position as a team. However, despite all of this I believe we will end up with an alright defense at the end of the year, with massive potential to kill **** next year. If some of these young D-linemen we have begin to flash potential, watch out.

While the BC game highlighted many problems with the defense, it also, IMO, showed that we are a better team than most of the nation thinks. If the defense plays just a little bit better (which will happen with a young defense like this), we could find ourselves back to ACC Championship relevance this year. No more finishing 4th place in the Coastal.

You cannot build a strong house if you don't have the tools and right now every single player on D is either lacking the talent or experience to be an impact player, except for true sophomore 52. Its as much of a 1+10 defense as I can remember at UM.

Chick is going to be a good one, but on a legit UM team he redshirts last year because he's undersized and inexperienced (instead of ******* STARTING), gets some run on the 2-deep this year as a redshirt freshman, competes for (and probably wins) a starting position as a redshirt sophomore in 2013, and is a national impact player as a JR and SR. That's proper player development- that we can't afford to do right now because of Shannon's last two classes.

Coach D is limited. VERY LIMITED. He can barely blitz because the DB's can't afford to cover a man down right now, and he can't get pressure with the front 4. He's between a rock and a hard place, and he's actually doing a very good job, IMHO. Look at how he got the D going statistically towards the end of 2011.

Guy can coach. He could be a HC right now but he wanted to help Al and see this through.

You are not going to like it then. Look at the upperclassman on D or the S position or how many guys played their 1st game ever last week and you will see its going to take longer then mid-season to have a good defense.

Advertisement
You cannot build a strong house if you don't have the tools and right now every single player on D is either lacking the talent or experience to be an impact player, except for true sophomore 52. Its as much of a 1+10 defense as I can remember at UM.

Chick is going to be a good one, but on a legit UM team he redshirts last year because he's undersized and inexperienced (instead of ****ing STARTING), gets some run on the 2-deep this year as a redshirt freshman, competes for (and probably wins) a starting position as a redshirt sophomore in 2013, and is a national impact player as a JR and SR. That's proper player development- that we can't afford to do right now because of Shannon's last two classes.

Coach D is limited. VERY LIMITED. He can barely blitz because the DB's can't afford to cover a man down right now, and he can't get pressure with the front 4. He's between a rock and a hard place, and he's actually doing a very good job, IMHO. Look at how he got the D going statistically towards the end of 2011.

Guy can coach. He could be a HC right now but he wanted to help Al and see this through.

The CBs covered really well Saturday. It was LBs leaving guys wide open all day. Our LB unit is very weak in coverage. Stout against the run though.
FWIW I thought Gaines looked like an animal at MLB. But he only played when they gave DP a break. We've got to get Gaines on the field.
Can he cover?

Gaines - Perryman - Eddie

Last edited:
When all is said and done, I think a lot of people will be singing a different tune. When we win a national title in the coming years, people will have forgotten all about this and instead be asking how we got such a great group of coaches together for that kind of turn around.

Chick is going to be a good one, but on a legit UM team he redshirts last year because he's undersized and inexperienced (instead of ****ing STARTING), gets some run on the 2-deep this year as a redshirt freshman, competes for (and probably wins) a starting position as a redshirt sophomore in 2013, and is a national impact player as a JR and SR. That's proper player development- that we can't afford to do right now because of Shannon's last two classes.

The CBs covered really well Saturday. It was LBs leaving guys wide open all day. Our LB unit is very weak in coverage. Stout against the run though.
FWIW I thought Gaines looked like an animal at MLB. But he only played when they gave DP a break. We've got to get Gaines on the field.
Can he cover?

Gaines - Perryman - Eddie
Uh.....We gave up 441 yards through the air, if that is covering really well I dont wanna see us play bad....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back