Mark-Antony Richards talks Miami after a weekend in Coral Gables

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Two weekends ago, Mark-Antony Richards spent both Saturday and Sunday on campus down in Coral Gables. Richards is one of the more frequent visitors at Miami. He spent Saturday hanging with the players and the coaches. He tried on the uniform and had a photoshoot with his brother. On Sunday, he competed in one of Mark Richt’s 7 on 7 camps with his Wellington teammates.

“I think I did pretty well. I went against some of the top guys in the country. It was great competition overall. I feel like, not only myself but my entire team, I feel like we showcased pretty well playing against South Ridge, which is a top 20 team in the state of Florida. So, really just gave us an idea how we can play. We just have to take it slow. Still have some work to do here obviously.”

Richards spent most of the camp lined up against a fellow Miami recruit and another top player in the country, Tyrique Stevenson. Is there a chance Stevenson and Richards join forces and become a dynamic duo?

“I can’t really say. If we somehow do, it would be awesome. He’s a dawg when you see him out there, so, ya, it would be awesome to play with him.”

The 6’1’’ 197 pound athlete is one of the top players in the state of Florida, but he still acknowledges that he can further improve his game.

“You know I haven’t played safety in a few months so I’m just trying to get back to that. Working on my explosion. Getting from one side of the field to the other. Just trying to become a better athlete. I improved as a leader, I improved as a player. But also work on my speed. You know I only ran a 4.46 and I’m trying to get down to a 4.3. And we are trying to put some more weight on me, look more like a college player for when I get there.”

Richard’s understands how much better he can be if he added more weight, this is why he has set a goal for himself. He wants to be 210 pounds before he leaves for college.

Richards is going to both Auburn and Alabama this summer. He does not have an Alabama offer, but he feels like Saban will offer him on his visit. The good news for Miami is he will return to Miami for Paradise Camp after taking those two visits.

We may have to wait a while before we get a decision for Richards.

“I’m planning for December. The Friday when my school gets out for Christmas break.”

Aside from where he will play, whether or not Richards enrolls early is the biggest unknown.

“Probably. I’m still working on that. Even if I can’t, I feel December will still be a good time to commit. It gives me some time to get close to the coaches even more. I find stuff like that important. And also it’s a benefit to my family.”

There will be developments in his recruitment between now and then. Richards will be releasing his top 10 in July and his top 5 in August. Things will really heat up at that point.

One of the biggest things helping Miami is Richards familiarity with the current players. Miami is a brotherhood and because of Ahmmon Richards, that is already extended to Mark. So which current Miami player is recruiting him the hardest right now?

“Dang, um, its kinda equal. Lawrence Cager, he’s recruiting me pretty hard obviously. We are like brothers you know. Him and Ahmmon are closer, they are more than friends. I’d probably say Lawrence. You know Lawrence understands, he’s been through this.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I believe he signs here, but only in SoFl will the brother of a Canes player who has made friends with many of the players not commit and be an Ambassador. Releasing a top 10 and then a top 5, TF?

Advertisement
it's kids like him that we need to be ambassadors for recruiting classes.Seems like the best Ambassadors lately have been kids not from Miami.Other kids see him not commiting even though his brother is here and they wonder if there's something wrong here.

Kid could be a Pided Piper of this class.Don't understand his going to Bama even without an offer.

I guess all we can do is wait but Ahmond needs to put a foot in little brothers *** and get him on board.

I believe he signs here, but only in SoFl will the brother of a Canes player who has made friends with many of the players not commit and be an Ambassador. Releasing a top 10 and then a top 5, TF?
U only see that fk **** here bruh. **** is a joke, it will only help the class if bogle,stevenson, mar, n neal pull the trigger, I think we would have a chance w sanders darnell or any other 5 star.

Put Richards and Stevenson at corner both at like 6-2 200 plus corners here would be devastating

Im assuming his commit date falls right after the early signing? So he wants to recruit people between then and february? After most commits already sign?

Advertisement
As we know, some kids just love the courtship of the recruiting process, and that's fine! He has practically spent his entire life in the State of Miami. On top of that, his brother has been on Miami's campus for 2 years, which means, being Ahmmon's younger brother, he too has been on campus for 2 years. Adding the many times that he will undoubtedly visit his brother and the team this upcoming year, by the time Mark finishes his own 3-4 years as a Cane, that will basically be 6-8 years that he's been a part of the Coral Gables community.

Let him go to Auburn, Bama, and anywhere else he wants to visit, so that he can sow his royal oats. He needs to go ahead and get that **** out of his system now, so that when he enrolls at Miami, he can focus the f'uck up and help us get that Natty!

Advertisement
As we know, some kids just love the courtship of the recruiting process, and that's fine! He has practically spent his entire life in the State of Miami. On top of that, his brother has been on Miami's campus for 2 years, which means, being Ahmmon's younger brother, he too has been on campus for 2 years. Adding the many times that he will undoubtedly visit his brother and the team this upcoming year, by the time Mark finishes his own 3-4 years as a Cane, that will basically be 6-8 years that he's been a part of the Coral Gables community.

Let him go to Auburn, Bama, and anywhere else he wants to visit, so that he can sow his royal oats. He needs to go ahead and get that **** out of his system now, so that when he enrolls at Miami, he can focus the f'uck up and help us get that Natty!
With this situation he wanted to commit (not saying here or anywhere else)last season. Ahmmon told him he should hold off on commiting till he takes some trips and experiences other atmospheres etc. And that will let him get any questions out of his system. Just enjoy the process & when the time is right **** go public.

Advertisement
Back