Mario's Offensive Scheme vs. Offensive Identity: Can the Former Survive the Latter?

No_Fly_Zone

Rogue Gone Maude.
Maude
We have been having a lot of discussions about "offensive scheme" and Mario's "offensive philosophy" during this period of what can only be described as among the worst UM offenses since the Civil Rights Act. How Mario is stubborn about the offensive philosophy and scheme. How it's archaic and needs to change. How Mario's philosophy is to basically play caveman football. And it got me thinking, what is Mario's actual offensive philosophy or preferred scheme, and is there a difference between Mario's vision for a team identity and his offensive philosophy/scheme?

He's never been a play-calling OC, and I don't think he's ever called the plays as the HC. So I wanted to get a better sense of what his teams ran. At FIU, his teams mostly ran spread offenses that were multiple and occasionally utilized tempo (and sometimes used a lot of no huddle to really pick up the tempo). He started off in 2007 with James Coley (traditionally a more pro-style w/ tempo and no huddle OC), but they basically ran a power spread offense that relied heavily on running the football. After Coley bolted, Bill Legg took over and they maintained a spread offense, but it was opened up with a bunch of different formations and motion with the emergence of TY Hilton. Scott Satterfield (a power spread guy) took it over a couple years later. And Tim Cramsey (currently the OC at Memphis after a few years at Marshall) took over in Mario's last year.

He ran the ball 35.8 times per game versus 28.9 passing attempts per game in that dreadful 2007 season. The next year was a bit more balanced with 34.8 rushes per game and 29.4 passes per play. But then in 2009 with TY Hilton, they flipped the script averaging 35.3 runs per game and 36.1 passes per game. Paul McCall graduates and Wes Carroll takes over at QB w/ Satterfield at OC and its run-heavy again at 40.2 rush attempts per game and 29.5 pass attempts. In 2011, it's a bit more balanced at 36.7 rushing attempts and 30.0 passing attempts per game. And in that disappointing 2012 season FIU averaged 40.8 rushes per game and 30.8 pass attempts per game.

He took over officially as HC at UO in 2018. He kept his former co-offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo around for a couple of season and they initially ran a spread out of the pistol, which they opened up with more RPO concepts by 2019. Arroyo bolts to take a HC job at UNLV (and Herbert turns pro), and Joe Moorhead gets the OC role for the next two years. Moorhead's offense at UO didn't use much tempo at all and was by most accounts a conservative, grind it out offense. In his first season, Oregon averaged 40.5 rushing attempts and 32.1 passes per game. In 2019, they ran 36.1 times per game to 31.8 pass attempts. In 2020, Oregon averaged 33.9 rushing attempts and 27.3 passes per game. And finally in 2021, Oregon averaged 38.6 rushing attempts and 28.5 passes per game in 2021.

What's this tell us? IMO, it seems like Mario's teams have mostly run some variation of the spread offense, usually with power concepts, but it has varied in how multiple it is and to what degree it uses tempo. Interestingly, he's never had the same OC for more than 2 seasons in his career. Overall, there seems to be some flexibility there, though it's a lot of variations on a similar theme (would be interested in thoughts from some of the more hardcore Xs and Os guys on this point).

His offensive/team identity appears much clearer to me: he wants to be a tough, physical football team that is dominant in the trenches and can push the other team around. Over his time as a HC, Mario definitely relied on the run more than the pass, and he's made it clear time and again that physicality is critical to him. I don't think that's going to suddenly change at UM and anyone who thought otherwise was probably fooling themselves. Though, in a broader sense, I don't think Mario is married to any specific offensive scheme so long as it provides the team ample opportunity to be physical up front, run the football effectively, and beat up the opposing side of the ball. Maybe Mario's offensive requirements are ultimately too restrictive in this modern era of college football. But I am hopeful there is enough room between the team identity Mario wants and the offensive schemes he's willing to utilize that the next OC will be able to implement some different offensive concepts (i.e., better route concepts, more spacing, and RPO) to put our players in a better position to succeed, while still building and maintaining the level of physicality Mario demands. Time will ultimately tell.

Advertisement
What he wants Physicality to mean = imposing your will on the other team.

What the current approach to Physicality means = breaking 3 QBs and your own offense’s will to win

Seems like he thinks running is the answer at times vs scoring them into oblivion by any means necessary.

We have been having a lot of discussions about "offensive scheme" and Mario's "offensive philosophy" during this period of what can only be described as among the worst UM offenses since the Civil Rights Act. How Mario is stubborn about the offensive philosophy and scheme. How it's archaic and needs to change. How Mario's philosophy is to basically play caveman football. And it got me thinking, what is Mario's actual offensive philosophy or preferred scheme, and is there a difference between Mario's vision for a team identity and his offensive philosophy/scheme?

He's never been a play-calling OC, and I don't think he's ever called the plays as the HC. So I wanted to get a better sense of what his teams ran. At FIU, his teams mostly ran spread offenses that were multiple and occasionally utilized tempo (and sometimes used a lot of no huddle to really pick up the tempo). He started off in 2007 with James Coley (traditionally a more pro-style w/ tempo and no huddle OC), but they basically ran a power spread offense that relied heavily on running the football. After Coley bolted, Bill Legg took over and they maintained a spread offense, but it was opened up with a bunch of different formations and motion with the emergence of TY Hilton. Scott Satterfield (a power spread guy) took it over a couple years later. And Tim Cramsey (currently the OC at Memphis after a few years at Marshall) took over in Mario's last year.

He ran the ball 35.8 times per game versus 28.9 passing attempts per game in that dreadful 2007 season. The next year was a bit more balanced with 34.8 rushes per game and 29.4 passes per play. But then in 2009 with TY Hilton, they flipped the script averaging 35.3 runs per game and 36.1 passes per game. Paul McCall graduates and Wes Carroll takes over at QB w/ Satterfield at OC and its run-heavy again at 40.2 rush attempts per game and 29.5 pass attempts. In 2011, it's a bit more balanced at 36.7 rushing attempts and 30.0 passing attempts per game. And in that disappointing 2012 season FIU averaged 40.8 rushes per game and 30.8 pass attempts per game.

He took over officially as HC at UO in 2018. He kept his former co-offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo around for a couple of season and they initially ran a spread out of the pistol, which they opened up with more RPO concepts by 2019. Arroyo bolts to take a HC job at UNLV (and Herbert turns pro), and Joe Moorhead gets the OC role for the next two years. Moorhead's offense at UO didn't use much tempo at all and was by most accounts a conservative, grind it out offense. In his first season, Oregon averaged 40.5 rushing attempts and 32.1 passes per game. In 2019, they ran 36.1 times per game to 31.8 pass attempts. In 2020, Oregon averaged 33.9 rushing attempts and 27.3 passes per game. And finally in 2021, Oregon averaged 38.6 rushing attempts and 28.5 passes per game in 2021.

What's this tell us? IMO, it seems like Mario's teams have mostly run some variation of the spread offense, usually with power concepts, but it has varied in how multiple it is and to what degree it uses tempo. Interestingly, he's never had the same OC for more than 2 seasons in his career. Overall, there seems to be some flexibility there, though it's a lot of variations on a similar theme (would be interested in thoughts from some of the more hardcore Xs and Os guys on this point).

His offensive/team identity appears much clearer to me: he wants to be a tough, physical football team that is dominant in the trenches and can push the other team around. Over his time as a HC, Mario definitely relied on the run more than the pass, and he's made it clear time and again that physicality is critical to him. I don't think that's going to suddenly change at UM and anyone who thought otherwise was probably fooling themselves. Though, in a broader sense, I don't think Mario is married to any specific offensive scheme so long as it provides the team ample opportunity to be physical up front, run the football effectively, and beat up the opposing side of the ball. Maybe Mario's offensive requirements are ultimately too restrictive in this modern era of college football. But I am hopeful there is enough room between the team identity Mario wants and the offensive schemes he's willing to utilize that the next OC will be able to implement some different offensive concepts (i.e., better route concepts, more spacing, and RPO) to put our players in a better position to succeed, while still building and maintaining the level of physicality Mario demands. Time will ultimately tell.
Long post, but well thought out with some stats included. Thanks man!

Appreciate the time and effort to post this. It's well thought out as well.

As you mentioned and history proves Mario wants to be pretty balanced but to use the run to set up the pass. That usually means more runs than pass. So whatever offense allows him to do that is how he'll make his decisions on who he chooses to be OC.

We can only hope and pray that one day he'll see the light and hire an OC that lights up the world. I don't know why he can't see that these high-octane passing offenses (ala 2019 LSU and this year's Tennesse) still rush for a lot of yards as well.

Good stuff. The bro style stuff is overplayed and Oregon was in the top 15/20 every year he was there in yards per play against power 5 opponents.

Even Lane Train runs the **** out of the ball (they are averaging 266 yards on the ground), but he adjusts to the personnel he has every year. We need an OC that adjusts to the personnel year in and year out, not just in a transition year. Recruiting classes may be great consistently, but they won’t be the same in terms of composition. What works for the core of the offense may be different not just from year to year but game to game depending on QB, OL etc.

Advertisement
The offensive scheme just doesn’t make sense. Mario wants so badly to turn Miami into Iowa.

And if that is what you want to be (which is awful), why do it from the shotgun? Why not just snap from under center? We run these dumb shotgun bunch/heavy formations with limited passing options and run up the gut. If you’re going to telegraph that you’re running the ball, why hand the ball off yards behind the line of scrimmage? The defense has to cover 3 guys, 2 receivers and 1 RB, because TVD ain’t running it. LOL @ needing to cover our TE. We do all this with zero eye candy. No motion, no trick plays…. Nothing. So incredibly predictable. No attempts to get the ball to playmakers like Young or Smith, but let’s throw it multiple times to Cam McCormick.

I’ll tell you what… our RB’s are **** good. Defenses are just teeing off on them and they still get their yards. Imagine how good they’d be if we had a passing attack that opened up some running lanes for them. Credit to our OL as well. The scheme does these groups no favors.

Aside from the nonsensical scheme, Mario actually watches TVD and thinks he’s our best option. Unreal. This offense is a powder keg of bad ideas.

Mario is the lovechild of Woody Hayes and Kirk Ferentz.

I think you have to leave the FIU stuff out and zoom in on his stuff after his bama sabbatical.. He wants to run up middle and impose his will on team, even if the team already has the W, he will not take a knee and continue to pound the rock.. Mentally its a stupid offense and the contrast when we can watch teh dolphins on same weekend is incredible.. I think you need some type of creativity, dolphins motioning tyreek and getting Waddle open for wide open TDS, we are motioning restrepo in to block and run up middle and throwing to mccormick while keeping brashard on sideline..

The last 5 weeks, we’re seeing nothing like we saw the first 4 weeks of this season. With the exception of 8 & 4, the opponents were obviously of lesser competition but even then, we saw a lot more creativity from Dawson with motion and unpredictable play calling.

I just can’t put my finger on why it seems Dawson has gone to this slow, plodding offense. Many say this is the type of offense Mario wants to run and in the same breath say he’s not an OC type of HC. Certainly, Mario can dictate to the OC what he wants to see but it’s not what we saw games 1-4.

The game plan Dawson came up with for Emory against Clemp$on was stellar and it seemed the team rallied around him. I think it’s obvious TVD’s injuries have had an affect on him. That hit he took at UNC on the pass to Jacolby was brutal.

TVD has all day to throw with the protection he’s getting from the OL. It seems he struggles when he has too much time to think and Dawson isn’t helping with the route concepts he’s employing. Rarely see any receivers over the middle or use of TE’s and RB’s.

It’s obvious something’s gotta change. I honestly don’t believe Mario will pull TVD unless he’s injured to the point he just can’t play ala Clemp$on. At this point, as broken as TVD obviously is, I’m not sure what Dawson can do to help him.

Advertisement
Back