Mario's offensive philosophy

Advertisement
I said that before he was hired. He’d rather win like we did against Clemson than win by 30 Going away.

Yep. It’s why the analytics show he has very few impressive offensive game performances over his career, but he’s good for at least 5 horrible performances.

His style of play lends itself to it.

Unfortunately it’s not going to change. He would have changed it by now. It took Saban one national title game against Ohio State before he changed. Mario hasn’t in 6 years when his offense hasn’t worked during that time.

just like Hollywood Brown said about Greg Roman/John Harbaugh that is what is going on with Dawson/Mario. Dawson is getting neutered to run an offense that Mario told him to run while he calls the plays. Dawson might be failing as a PLAY CALLER but is being forced to run Mario's offensive philosophy.

3rd and short - Show everyone on the planet you're gonna run up the middle and then...... Run up the middle for no gain....
Next play 4th and short - Show everyone on the planet you're gonna run up the middle and then...... Run up the middle for no gain....
Chef Cooking GIF by HBO Max

Advertisement
Mario has no philosophy in terms of design of offense. His only philosophy is just being physical and I'm not trying to knock him but it's the truth. I chuckle anytime I see someone say "Mario offense "
His philosophy is a ball control, and condense games by eating as much clock as possible. It’s a slow plodding pace that puts a lot of strain on the offense due to the limited number of possessions and strains the defense by constantly having to bail out the offense when we don’t move the ball (which happens too often).

Not true that he doesn’t have an offensive philosophy. You can see it in the two ****** OCs he’s hired while at Miami. Gattis and now an air raid guy that wants to emphasize the run game but somehow doesn’t know how to scheme guys open in the passing game.

Mario’s got a philosophy and it’s a ****** one that’s stuck in the past.

If he’d adopt the briles offense he’d have a dynamic offense that would run over everyone with the oline we have. But he won’t do it cause it’s too uptempo.

Yep. It’s why the analytics show he has very few impressive offensive game performances over his career, but he’s good for at least 5 horrible performances.

Unfortunately it’s not going to change. He would have changed it by now. It took Saban one national title game against Ohio State before he changed. Mario hasn’t in 6 years when his offense hasn’t worked during that time.
I believe that was the 2018 game against Clemson, where Sunshine and company boat raced him 44-16. He learned alright... look at his offenses now, won the title in 2020 and played for another in '21. Good chance he wins another this year. He gets titles and Heisman Trophy winners and we get Bronko Nagurski and the modern day equivalent of the Wing -T.

It’s a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. Incredible he doesn’t see it. It’s why he’s good for a loss or two that shouldn’t be. Keep games closer than they should be and the ball won’t always bounce your way. Terrible way to coach.

Advertisement
His philosophy is a ball control, and condense games by eating as much clock as possible. It’s a slow plodding pace that puts a lot of strain on the offense due to the limited number of possessions and strains the defense by constantly having to bail out the offense when we don’t move the ball (which happens too often).

Not true that he doesn’t have an offensive philosophy. You can see it in the two ****** OCs he’s hired while at Miami. Gattis and now an air raid guy that wants to emphasize the run game but somehow doesn’t know how to scheme guys open in the passing game.

Mario’s got a philosophy and it’s a ****** one that’s stuck in the past.

If he’d adopt the briles offense he’d have a dynamic offense that would run over everyone with the oline we have. But he won’t do it cause it’s too uptempo.
I agree to a certain extent, I think Mario has a preference and he hires OC's who run offenses that fits that preference. What I don't buy is people who think Mario is forcing OC's to change their offense into something he wants. Every OC Mario has hired offense doesn't look much different than when they didn't work for Mario. Dawson gets the "air raid" label by association only, he's never really run a air raid. Its not a coincidence that the same things were complaining about with this offense are the same things Houston and Kentucky fans were complaining about when Dawson was their OC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_150107_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_150107_Samsung Internet.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231028_234824_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028_234824_Samsung Internet.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231028_222942_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028_222942_Samsung Internet.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 0
I agree to a certain extent, I think Mario has a preference and he hires OC's who run offenses that fits that preference. What I don't buy is people who think Mario is forcing OC's to change their offense into something he wants. Every OC Mario has hired offense doesn't look much different than when they didn't work for Mario. Dawson gets the "air raid" label by association only, he's never really run a air raid. It’s not a coincidence that the same things were complaining about with this offense are the same things Houston and Kentucky fans were complaining about when Dawson was their OC.
Good stuff. I created a thread with that article a few weeks ago. You could substitute Houston for Miami and it would be as though it was written for us. Dawson is awful and Mario’s ideas about how the offense should run is what gets him stuck with these awful offensive coordinators cause he actively looks for them.

It’s a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. Incredible he doesn’t see it. It’s why he’s good for a loss or two that shouldn’t be. Keep games closer than they should be and the ball won’t always bounce your way. Terrible way to coach.

And it actually hits provide Mario with an excuse amongst the fan boys.

Mario’s style wastes so many plays that have little chance of doing anything.

It then requires the few plays that are intended to produce a successful outcome, to be perfect. And those plays stick out more than they should in a normal offense because of the wasteland of other plays.

So Mario defenders can say, “Mario can’t make George not drop the pass in the backfield. That was going to be a big play. We just need better players.”

Because Mario’s offense has so few “real” plays run in a game, any failure of the players on those plays stays in your mind, thereby creating the perception amongst the 9 to 5ers on this board that it’s a player problem.

Hence Cam Ward to the rescue.

Advertisement
I believe that was the 2018 game against Clemson, where Sunshine and company boat raced him 44-16. He learned alright... look at his offenses now, won the title in 2020 and played for another in '21. Good chance he wins another this year. He gets titles and Heisman Trophy winners and we get Bronko Nagurski and the modern day equivalent of the Wing -T.

He had already hired Kiffin by that point.

Seriously though, wtf was that?? We bag on the coaches, and a lot of the time it’s justified, but how much different is the story on Mario and Dawson if George just…..catches the football?

Guy supposedly can’t throw, he’s a runner playing QB, so we come out and run play action on the first snap, WR is open, ball is perfect, and 3 just puts 1 hand out half-assed and doesn’t even come close to catching it? I’ve only seen it once but do I have that wrong? It looked perfect. The underhand throw to him too was probably a 50+ yard gain. The ball hit him in both hands, underhanded, from 1 yard away. My wife catches that ball 100 times out of 100.

So yeah man, Mario is a poor gameday coach. No doubt. But wtf are these kids doing a lot of the time? If we’re not going to win games play to play as coaches, the players kinda have to make plays when they’re there. Deadass….did Jacolby George have money on Rutgers?
They are so **** bent in this bashing his coaching that they don’t hold the players accountable. No coach is the dam country tells his wrs to drop touchdowns and easy passes. We don’t scheme it up like other coaches….perfect play call reverse for a huge gain schemed up….player fcks up. It’s the coaches fault 😂

Seriously though, wtf was that?? We bag on the coaches, and a lot of the time it’s justified, but how much different is the story on Mario and Dawson if George just…..catches the football?

Guy supposedly can’t throw, he’s a runner playing QB, so we come out and run play action on the first snap, WR is open, ball is perfect, and 3 just puts 1 hand out half-assed and doesn’t even come close to catching it? I’ve only seen it once but do I have that wrong? It looked perfect. The underhand throw to him too was probably a 50+ yard gain. The ball hit him in both hands, underhanded, from 1 yard away. My wife catches that ball 100 times out of 100.

So yeah man, Mario is a poor gameday coach. No doubt. But wtf are these kids doing a lot of the time? If we’re not going to win games play to play as coaches, the players kinda have to make plays when they’re there. Deadass….did Jacolby George have money on Rutgers?
The throw was beautiful. It happened so fast going to the next play but everything from Brown looked to be on point. It looks so routine watching other team's WRs catch balls but watching Miami you gotta hold your breath. George may not have had many numerical penalties but they were big for momentum at times in a negative manner. I wished Cristobal would have put the young WRs out there to just mess around and see which one is a gamer. X does what he does and he is reliable but I think Mario should have used the bowl games for the young kids. I would have loved to see Horton and Moten in the game with Bain. I actually would have liked to see Smith, Bryant, Popo, and other freshman Lb more. I don't even know if Stafford got any burn at CB but I would have liked to see him more too.

Advertisement
Marty Ball with the flair of social media mentalities caring about flexing for likes and follows more than flexing superiority on inferior opponents.

They are so **** bent in this bashing his coaching that they don’t hold the players accountable. No coach is the dam country tells his wrs to drop touchdowns and easy passes. We don’t scheme it up like other coaches….perfect play call reverse for a huge gain schemed up….player fcks up. It’s the coaches fault 😂
I guess outside of those 2 plays mishandled by 1 player, the offense was super explosive...gtfoh, nothing about Mario/Dawson's offensive philosophy screams a 10+ win season; keep waiting, but I suggest you lower your expectations even with a powder soft schedule next season

Advertisement
Back