Mario vs DeBoer recruiting

Advertisement

I've said this before...

...a possible future is that colleges themselves cease to directly run and fund their football programs. Instead, as the sport contracts you would see sponsorship and eventual ownership of programs by outside entities, as with the NFL. The school in turn would pay for the privilege of hosting the program. So in theory, instead of Notre Dame paying $59.4M a year to fund its football program, it might pay $25M a year for ten years for the rights to associate their school with "The Fighting Irish" football program.

Which in turns sets up the eventual scenario where a Notre Dame does not meet the contract renewal terms of the owner and you get "Program Free Agency". And thus Notre Dame is outbid by (let's say) Baylor, and we then get the Baylor Fighting Irish.

steph curry nba GIF

I've said this before...

...a possible future is that colleges themselves cease to directly run and fund their football programs. Instead, as the sport contracts you would see sponsorship and eventual ownership of programs by outside entities, as with the NFL. The school in turn would pay for the privilege of hosting the program. So in theory, instead of Notre Dame paying $59.4M a year to fund its football program, it might pay $25M a year for ten years for the rights to associate their school with "The Fighting Irish" football program.

Which in turns sets up the eventual scenario where a Notre Dame does not meet the contract renewal terms of the owner and you get "Program Free Agency". And thus Notre Dame is outbid by (let's say) Baylor, and we then get the Baylor Fighting Irish.
This happened about 12 years ago in Canada for new football programs.

Essentially the running organization just uses the facilities, property and brand, while the football program is essentially a private organization.

I've said this before...

Saban was a cheater at Bama and every South Florida coach in the last 15 years knows it. Because he and a few others unfairly stacked talent partially due to giving players and their families large sums of un-taxed money under the table via sponsors/donors/surrogates, he created this world that he says he despises.

It was a delayed reaction, should've happened sooner, but the current CFB landscape is here because the market corrected itself and this is what the correction looks like.

I think Josh Pate is right when he said a couple months ago that CFB will actually be the better for all of these changes. The monopolies were allowed to run things for too long and now the organism that is CFB is correcting itself, it took away his advantage, he didn't like it, and got out still relatively on top.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So did DeBoer walk in telling all the players he was cleaning out the baggage and bringing in the Louis? Because I've been told that was a savage move and indicative of a great head coach?

Or did he make every currently committed recruit send in tape so he could make sure they were really the players he wanted?

Saban was a cheater at Bama and every South Florida coach in the last 15 years knows it. Because he and a few others unfairly stacked talent partially due to giving players and their families large sums of un-taxed money under the table via sponsors/donors/surrogates, he created this world that he says he despises.

It was a delayed reaction, should've happened sooner, but the current CFB landscape is here because the market corrected itself and this is what the correction looks like.

I think Josh Pate is right when he said a couple months ago that CFB will actually be the better for all of these changes. The monopolies were allowed to run things for too long and now the organism that is CFB is correcting itself, it took away his advantage, he didn't like it, and got out still relatively on top.
I still remember pre NIL/portal wave Kirk Herbstreit going on ESPN and saying how bad it was for college football that in Dec of that year he could tell you exactly who would be in the college football playoffs the following year. The sport had become so ossified. No one really had a chance to break into the CFP the way things were structured.

And as you said, Alabama maintained an advantage for far too long. The NCAA refused to investigate them for things like players posting pictures of wads of cash in hand on NSD. If we had done the same, you would have had ESPN personalities in tears calling it the worst thing in all of sports and for Miami to self impose the death penalty.

I agree with a great deal of your points. Saban and the SEC I believe shoulder most the blame for the current state of affairs. However, I'm not sure I agree with Pate that CFB is better off. It's basically turned the game into a Semi Pro NFL with the two power players being the B1G and SEC. Hopefully we'll get into one of them. Otherwise we're going to be at a major disadvantage going forward. Less overall competition is never a good thing.

This happened about 12 years ago in Canada for new football programs.

Essentially the running organization just uses the facilities, property and brand, while the football program is essentially a private organization.
canada blame GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back