Mario on The Herd June 1st

Advertisement
I like what he said about TVD for a guy who just wants to talk about working and nobody has earned anything - build TVD up to take over this team and allow him to guide us to 10 wins

Advertisement
My guess is that it's Mario's vision, sincerity and his message as to what he and the player can accomplish together, that are his strongest recruiting attributes. He's living proof that you don't have to be glib, or necessarily possess a riveting/entertaining personality to be an ace recruiter.

I like how Mario flipped the Miami swagger question to talk about the NFL players on the sidelines and the new facilities coming.

I'm sure we're going to see our sidelines filled with our NFL alumni. It's about our players accounting to their predecessors.

I despise the concept of swagger. Thinking somehow if you have a coin toss like '86 Oklahoma you are going to win the game, or if you dance and salute after making a tackle it somehow gives you an advantage over the opponent. Like oh my god those day are sooooooooooooooooooo long gone. Frankly it's been a problem with this program for some time.

Perhaps we are getting it now? but it just bothered me watching for so long with this fake bravado swagger.

Advertisement
He’s all about communicating HIS message 😂
"Oh you want me to answer what I've learned from 2019 to now and where I've improved? That's cute I'm going to talk about my High School Coach and Jimmy Johnson and shift the focus onto my message."

It makes me chuckle.

I like how Mario flipped the Miami swagger question to talk about the NFL players on the sidelines and the new facilities coming.

I'm sure we're going to see our sidelines filled with our NFL alumni. It's about our players accounting to their predecessors.

It's like he's a really good politician at a debate, when he is asked about his position on abortion:

"Yes, I definitely believe we need stronger police enforcement in relation to property crime, and I support higher salaries for our teachers and firemen."

Advertisement
He’s perfect. He stays generic and isn’t going to offend anybody. He’s about the actual nuts and bolts of football, not about creating social media hype through his media pronouncements. He knows being cute with the media isn’t gonna win him football games. It’s the shlt you do when nobody’s around but the team, that’s what counts, he knows that.

Not much in specifics. But he did glow about TVD even after the kid was more or less compared with Herbert. That's super promising.

Advertisement
Cowherd is correct in his understanding of what is good for a sport. For college football not to be relegated to the level of regional sport, like NASCAR and I would argue, like the NHL despite teams in Florida and Cali, college football needs teams on the coasts to be a lot better, most notably USC and UM. The Big Ten will always be popular but outside of oSU, no team has had any impact nationally in decades. So all we have had for 10+ years in college football has been SEC, Clemson (which geographically is the SEC), and oSU. That is bad for ratings and bad for national interest.

Say what you will about Cowherd but he understands and discusses the need for specific teams to be good which elevate an entire sport while the rest of the media act likes a national championship for Georgia is just as relevant for colleg football ratings as a national championship for USC and UM. Nonsense. Tell me one casual fan outside of Georgia or Alabama fans who watched last year’s national championship game.

Just as elections are decided by independents, ratings are driven not by die hard fans but by casual fans. The Bulls attracted casual fans to their TV’s to see Michael Jordan. The Canes, and USC and yes even ND, attract fans to their TV’s in college football.

I despise the concept of swagger. Thinking somehow if you have a coin toss like '86 Oklahoma you are going to win the game, or if you dance and salute after making a tackle it somehow gives you an advantage over the opponent. Like oh my god those day are sooooooooooooooooooo long gone. Frankly it's been a problem with this program for some time.

Perhaps we are getting it now? but it just bothered me watching for so long with this fake bravado swagger.
"Swagger" is just a symptom of confidence. We played with swagger throughout the 80s because we knew we knew we were better then whoever else lined up on the other sideline. Regardless of how things might have changed since then, you better believe that confidence is key and something we'll need to take the next step. Think of it however you want. "Showmanship", which some might see as the escalation from simple "confidence" to "swagger", is just part of the game now. Even in college. I think you should get ready for some true swagger in the years coming. The kind we haven't had for 20 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back