Mario-Miami Coaching Tree?

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
So there's no question Mario's first staff at Miami was an unmitigated disaster, but it is interesting to me that - outside of the obvious and blatant Gattis fiasco - most of the coaches that left have fallen up:

Steele - UM DC to Bama DC (upgrade)

Strong - UM LB coach to ??? (TBA but most likely either upgrade or retirement IMO)

Wright - UM DE coach to NFL assistant DL (upgrade)

Ponce - UM QB coach to App State OC (upgrade or push, depending on how you view returning to your old job)

Gattis - UM OC/WR Coach to the 9th circle of **** hopefully (downgrade, or maybe push depending on how you view our OC job lol)

Not suggesting anything really, just found it interesting.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t call assistant DL coach for a bottom tier NFL franchise an upgrade or an OC at a G5 either.

Only Steele has upgraded and I expect strong to land on his feet too
I was waiting for this comment lol, and while I don't think you're necessarily wrong, I think going from coaching not even an entire DL room in college to coaching in the NFL, even as an assistant, is an upgrade. JMO on that.

Similarly I think if Ponce had just been the QB coach here and had landed the OC job at let's say Northern Illinois or Memphis instead of App St., that's an upgrade to me as well. The fact that he went back to his old gig colors that sure, but I still think he failed upward.

They all had legit resumes prior to being at Miami so don’t think there is much to take from this
True, but it's not like Rod Wright was a household name before being hired here.

We've been so used to former coaches falling off the edge of the job market that at least its nice to see some land on their feet.

Advertisement
The only Coaches that have been here who can be considered Mario disciples are Alex Mirabal, Frank Ponce & Dennis Smith.

None of those other Coaches are from the Mario tree, not even Joe Salave’a.

I was waiting for this comment lol, and while I don't think you're necessarily wrong, I think going from coaching not even an entire DL room in college to coaching in the NFL, even as an assistant, is an upgrade. JMO on that.

Similarly I think if Ponce had just been the QB coach here and had landed the OC job at let's say Northern Illinois or Memphis instead of App St., that's an upgrade to me as well. The fact that he went back to his old gig colors that sure, but I still think he failed upward.
Don't fall for the agenda-driven and emotion based argument...an NFL position coaching assistant is orders of magnitude different than the same role at a mid-tier university in the ACC. At Miami, Wright assisted in coaching the defensive line. In the NFL, Wright is assisting in coaching the defensive line. More money. More prestige. No recruiting. Chance to enter NFL coaching pipelines/networks to continue to move in the professional ranks. No comparison.

The Ponce move is tainted by the perceived "request" he seek greener pastures elsewhere. If the App St. gig was not open...would he have landed an OC role anywhere else? Difficult to say but going from a QB coach at a mid-tier ACC school that just had a historically bad offensive season to an Offensive Coordinator with sole responsibility for offense is a step up not a step down.

Neither of which mean Mario hit on homeruns during his first season in the coaching staff. He did not. Not even close.

True, but it's not like Rod Wright was a household name before being hired here.

We've been so used to former coaches falling off the edge of the job market that at least its nice to see some land on their feet.
To Canes fans he wasn’t because Miami fans only like 5 Coaches & anybody who isn’t a former Cane is completely out of their purview.

Rod was very well known & well respected down in Texas as a former Longhorn & is a rising star in the business.

Advertisement
The only Coaches that have been here who can be considered Mario disciples are Alex Mirabal, Frank Ponce & Dennis Smith.

None of those other Coaches are from the Mario tree, not even Joe Salave’a.

I think he just worded the title poorly. I took it as these guys were all here last year, the year was an abomination and much of it was blamed on staff ineptitude and dysfunction, but somehow they've all gotten equal or better jobs elsewhere.

And to me, it all comes back to what I try to tell people all the time on here, and that's that this coaching fraternity is REAL, and these dudes all know each other, and they all have the same agents who know each other, etc. etc. Also, one year doesn't define a career. A lot of times, once you get a job like this, you have to prove that you're a complete loser for multiple years before you really fall totally out of favor.

So there's no question Mario's first staff at Miami was an unmitigated disaster, but it is interesting to me that - outside of the obvious and blatant Gattis fiasco - most of the coaches that left have fallen up:

Steele - UM DC to Bama DC (upgrade)

Strong - UM LB coach to ??? (TBA but most likely either upgrade or retirement IMO)

Wright - UM DE coach to NFL assistant DL (upgrade)

Ponce - UM QB coach to App State OC (upgrade or push, depending on how you view returning to your old job)

Gattis - UM OC/WR Coach to the 9th circle of **** hopefully (downgrade, or maybe push depending on how you view our OC job lol)

Not suggesting anything really, just found it interesting.
Gattis should be a middle school OC in a non-football part of the country. May Mt. Washington, New Hampshire or something

Advertisement
all these guys who left with the exception of Steele, and maybe Strong (although he wasnt being promoted to DC) were asked to seek other opportunities elsewhere. IMO thats the nice way of saying you're fired

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back