Mario Cristobal - speculation re/Penn State and Pitt jobs

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Evidentially he is a front runner for the Pitt job and is drawing interest from Penn State.

How ironic if in 4-5 years we snatched him from Penn State.

One thing about Mario, when he was a recruiter he could go up against the big boys and out recruit them. He got guys that everyone wanted. Granted times are different but as much as I like Golden I haven't really seen that. I guess it's a lot to expect with potential sanctions but there are some guys who seem to recruit well irregardless of the circumstance and Mario is one of them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Evidentially he is a front runner for the Pitt job and is drawing interest from Penn State.

One thing about Mario, when he was a recruiter he could go up against the big boys and out recruit them. He got guys that everyone wanted. Granted times are different but as much as I like Golden I haven't really seen that. I guess it's a lot to expect with potential sanctions but there are some guys who seem to recruit well irregardless of the circumstance and Mario is one of them.

Golden got quite a few players that were highly-regarded when he was coaching at BC and later at UVA.
Some guys who seem to recruit well "irregardless of circumstance"?
Really?
Who?
Don't tell me Kiffen. Totally different situation than what Golden is dealing with.

Would be happy for him. Big time upgrade for him to goto a major program.

He'd be a good choice for Pitt.

I don't wish the Penn State job on anyone, nevermind a good one like Mario.

Advertisement
Shocked to hear Cristobal is even in the discussion for PSU job, I find it hard to believe. I heard Tom Clements is PSU top choice.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it were true and Cristobal was at PSU and Golden UM. Imagine that would drive Golden crazy.

Shocked to hear Cristobal is even in the discussion for PSU job, I find it hard to believe. I heard Tom Clements is PSU top choice.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it were true and Cristobal was at PSU and Golden UM. Imagine that would drive Golden crazy.

That would be incredibly ironic.

He'd be a good choice for Pitt.

I don't wish the Penn State job on anyone, nevermind a good one like Mario.

The PSU job is toxic. Who would want their kid to go there? Who would want to coach there?

Advertisement

Golden got quite a few players that were highly-regarded when he was coaching at BC and later at UVA.
Really?
Who?
Don't tell me Kiffen. Totally different situation than what Golden is dealing with.

Urban Meyer. Just landed 2 5 star and 1 4 star dlineman in a week including a guy- Noah Spence who is the #4 player in the country and wasnt even looking at OSU a month ago.

I'm fine happy with Golden because I think he's a good talent evaluator and I think the star system is overrated in Florida as evidenced by the poor performance of the Big 3 who have all the 4and 5 star talent. But you do need a few of them or you end up like va tech.

Really?
Who?

Urban Meyer. Just landed 2 5 star and 1 4 star dlineman in a week including a guy- Noah Spence who is the #4 player in the country and wasnt even looking at OSU a month ago.

I'm fine happy with Golden because I think he's a good talent evaluator and I think the star system is overrated in Florida as evidenced by the poor performance of the Big 3 who have all the 4and 5 star talent. But you do need a few of them or you end up like va tech.

Meyer is a very good recruiter.
No argument there.
He's also taking over a program that has been very strong since 2002.
A program that has won alot of conference championships, played and won big bowl games, played
in national championships,etc.
It is alot easier for a coach to sit in a prospect's living room and sell him the dream of
winning many games because the kid has witnessed it himself on TV.
COnversely, Golden is attempting to sell the same dream to a kid who was barely in elementary
school the last time the Canes were NOT mediocre.
And let's even compare gameday atmosphere,etc.....

As far as ending up like VaTech, you do realize that wouldn't be a bad thing for our
program right now, do you?
They've owned us and our conference.

Go to Pitt, get a feel for a big job, make your mistakes there and provide an option should Al either not work out or work out too well.

Advertisement

Who are the guys that Cristobal has gotten that "everyone wanted?"

One that I recall is Reggie Youngblood. He was a 5 star recruit and #3 OL, and he had offers from every single top program.

Advertisement

One that I recall is Reggie Youngblood. He was a 5 star recruit and #3 OL, and he had offers from every single top program.

Not at UM ... at FIU. Who did he bring to FIU that "everyone wanted?" Not a recruiting expert; but I can't recall FIU stealing someone that any of the big 3 wanted, offered, and were "admissible" in terms of grades, etc.

Would be a good hire for Pitt...so so for PSU. They could do better probably. Well with the scandal who knows, Mario might be the best they can do.

Another was the 5 star TE from Texas. Farr.

Not at UM ... at FIU. Who did he bring to FIU that "everyone wanted?" Not a recruiting expert; but I can't recall FIU stealing someone that any of the big 3 wanted, offered, and were "admissible" in terms of grades, etc.

OK, but if that's your measure then I don't agree with it. Urban Meyer is a great recruiter, but he didn't get any top guys at either Bowling Green or Utah, because top guys won't go to those schools. It's not like Meyer wasn't a good recruiter at BG and Utah, and suddenly became good at Florida and now OSU.

I have no particular axe to grind either way with Cristobal. But he took over a brand new Div 1 program, which I don't believe had won a single game in three years before he arrived, and steadily improved recruiting each year, along with the W-L record, to the point FIU went 8-4 this year. That's a **** fine job in my book.

Advertisement
Back