Coaching Mario Cristobal on Joe Rose, Monday 10/10

Advertisement
Don't think that has anything to do with it. Supposedly it's more about practice habits... Mario is a stickler on the practice aspect. He says it every time he speaks to the press. maybe it's a battle of wills right now...
Sooo Avantae went from having to be held back because he was knocking heads in practice to now he doesnt practice hard, ok *new narrative alert*

Granted, TVD had a good bounce back game. But if I read this and I’m Jake Garcia, I’m outa hear.
Why would he leave? He's second in depth to a guy who so far this year has wavered and underperformed. Garcia is right on Tyler's *** and his showing did him favors. I don't think he leaves. In fact, getting put in probably motivated the ***k out of him. If you played a down of football in your life you'd know what I'm talking about. Makes you want to stay and get on that field more.

We have enough talent to win, but not enough to blow teams out is how I perceived his comments.

As far as the comments about “mistakes,” it’s the coaching staff’s job to minimize those. We shouldn’t be seeing blown coverages anymore — simple as that. Get that crap fixed. Teams are going to score on this defense no matter what, but we can’t keep making it so easy.

The reason we lost the A&M and UNC games is because they made us work for everything. It was classic bend, don’t break. I can just hear those coaching staffs now, “who cares how many first downs they get, eventually they will make a mistake because that’s what UM does!” We did exactly what they expected by prolonging those drives — the Rooster fumble, dropped passes, WRs falling down out of their break, etc.

Everyone has blown coverages, but for all the good, Kam is killing us. He's gotta get that fixed. He seems to be skating by when the blame train comes to town.

Lots of things to work on. Felt real bad for Knighton on that fumble, he was manic after losing it. Good play by that UNC defender, but put two hands on the ball through the hole.

This was ours for the taking. I'm actually far more positive overall this week than I've been all season.

I liked that he acknowledged the game plan/scheme they had at the beginning of the season obviously wasn't working so they had to make adjustments.

The game plan against UNC was much better but still didn't lead to enough scoring and explosive plays. But happy to see TVD much more comfortable and feel better about us winning.

The points will come but we need to score with some explosive plays. Driving into the red zone and grinding out points in tight space isn't going to work.

red zone offense is a head scratcher. Something needs to to change up there

Advertisement
Don't think that has anything to do with it. Supposedly it's more about practice habits... Mario is a stickler on the practice aspect. He says it every time he speaks to the press. maybe it's a battle of wills right now...

He needs to get his head on straight, play his assignments, and he'll jump right over Kam if he does that. Kam's young and I'm not throwing him under the bus, but he needs to do a lot better.

What's the deal on Balom?

Kam (who I love as a playmaker) is one of those players that gets alot of passes around here. And the reality he, he F'd up twice in this game and cost us big plays which lead to TDs both times. If that had been any other S not named Kam...the board would have already been submitting his transfer paperwork for him. Kam is our best playmaker. But he thinks hes Ed Reed. Takes too many chances and loses more often that not and gives up huge plays.
Agreed 100%! Whats funny is I am a Kam guy, watched the kid since optimist and one of few I know since youngin.. But at safety you got to do your job and make plays within the scheme, you start fishing for big plays when your responsibility is to protect deep is a recipe for disaster. The picks will be there playing within the scheme. You cannot have deep halves and trying to bite on shallow routes, lmaoo. That is comically bad and the definition of selfish play..

We got people who want to blame Stevenson, avantae and Gattis for blown coverage if they could..

Everyone has blown coverages, but for all the good, Kam is killing us. He's gotta get that fixed. He seems to be skating by when the blame train comes to town.

Lots of things to work on. Felt real bad for Knighton on that fumble, he was manic after losing it. Good play by that UNC defender, but put two hands on the ball through the hole.

This was ours for the taking. I'm actually far more positive overall this week than I've been all season.
There is a reason to be optimistic. But we have to mitigate mistakes on defense and be consistent on offense. This week is really important. We need to win in order to give this team some much needed confidence.

Advertisement
I don’t have any issues w what Mario said. Hopefully the O keeps trending in the right direction. On D, we need to not give up easy TDs and just play within the scheme. All things considered the D did enough to win that game and put a strong second half performance together.

Highlights:

-" At our current talent level we’re going to be in a lot of close games that come down to the wire, to the fourth quarter. So ball security, re-pointing a Mike when he walks outside, maintaining leverage on a pass rush so a guy doesn’t escape and he moves the chains and they exchange a drive, those things have to show up consistently when we practice for them to show up consistently in the games in the most critical moments. Because these games are going to come down to 3, 4, 5, 8 plays. So they have to show up better in practice to show up better in the game. And we’re working on it.”

-going for fourth downs and short even near midfield and being aggressive will continue.
“Those plays are about knocking people back. And I get it, we’re not at the level from a size and power standpoint where it’s going to always look pretty, but dammit you have to establish a mentality first, keep getting it done in the weight room and develop, keep getting big old dudes that can knock them back, have faith in your guys and know if it doesn’t work that the other side is going to get the ball back for you.”

-“Tremendous job by Tyler bouncing back, very resilient, extremely productive and played with a lot of confidence. That’s good to see, certainly bodes well for the future.”

“You always want guys on your team that always show a great competitive response. You play this game long enough you are going to get hit in the mouth. So what are you truly made of? We lose a couple of games? What are you made of? You going to buckle, give into the noise? Part of it is knowing what it is to be a great one. Tyler is made of great stuff, has the right DNA. He’s got a couple of guys with him that are doing a really good job to infuse that among the rest of our players and our players are really working hard to try and get there. Tyler, just he epitomized that. Last year toward the end of the year he put up big numbers. Change of scheme, change in coaching staff, there are adjustment periods, he loses his receivers (Mike Harley and Charleston Rambo) and all of a sudden the world is coming down on him. All he did was buckle down, practice harder, get with the receivers, get extra work and boom he had himself a really good game.”

-“(The receivers) played better,” “Guys like Mike Redding, Redding is going to catch JUGS out there till he’s blue in the face. And they brought along Brashard Smith, who took a tremendous step up. Colbie Young, credit to him. Got here very late in the process from Lackawanna Junior College, makes a couple of really big plays. Frank Ladson continues to get better. So guys are improving. Have to keep improving."

- Mario said there were some adjustments made with Josh Gattis’ offense; a quicker pace and less look to the sidelines for adjusted play calls this past weekend. Plus there was more nuance with the play calls.

“Coach Gattis had tremendous success when he was at Michigan and Alabama and the stuff he did there, but it wasn’t working for us early in the season,” “So we adapted the sets and started moving to things that we feel we can do as an organization. Certain areas of our team are ahead of others. Just have to find ways to move the ball and score points. We found ways to move the ball, had success moving the chains, we didn’t put up enough points. That’s the bottom line. There’s been some progress, some improvement, still a way to go.”

-On the busted coverage that gave UNC the first touchdown:

“That play wasn’t on Tyrique,” “We’re in Cover 2 and the safety saw something and bam. Obviously (Stevenson) has got to get his hands on that receiver, follow him and reroute him, but the safety saw something that wasn’t quite there and jumped it. The same play we picked off (later). It took us a little while to get settled in.

“The big plays we have allowed on defense are busts mentally we fix as the game goes on. We have to start better to avoid those big plays. … We have to find a way to win.”

“The two big plays, the long TD early, were both coverage issues,” Cristobal said. “At the same time the real good plays later on were really good communication on the back end and playing out like they’re supposed to."

“Look, we signed up for all this stuff, know we have some work to do and we are all about it. So it comes with it. In terms of trying to get it done right, our guys are trying to. We’re getting progress or whatnot, have to realize that with the way we are, our current talent level and roster depth we have to eliminate, avoid the avoidable. That’s what we have to do and continue to develop and ramp up and get better. Guys are trying and we certainly just have to improve."
"WE HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO WIN" Nuff said.

Total suck up job by Joe totally different than last week. Waiting for someone to ask “ Well coach you had two weeks to figure out what to do in the red zone and it looked like you had nothing new to give your players a chance to be successful”.
Mario was just full of bland answers really starting to look at him as just another average coach at the U.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What Mario should’ve said:

“It took us almost half the season to realize that we had completely ruined Tyler Van Dyke. We finally woke up and decided to let him do what he does best and that’s why he had a huge game on Saturday and suddenly looked like he did last season again. So, his poor performances earlier are all on us as a coaching staff.”

Advertisement
What Mario should’ve said:

“It took us almost half the season to realize that we had completely ruined Tyler Van Dyke. We finally woke up and decided to let him do what he does best and that’s why he had a huge game on Saturday and suddenly looked like he did last season again. So, his poor performances earlier are all on us as a coaching staff.”

Right, because the only problem with the program this year has been at QB.

Meh interview..gotta get to work, don’t have talent. Lol, it’s the second most talented team in the ACC with the highest paid coaching staff.

So which is it, the coaches stinking or the players you have can’t cut it which falls directly on the coaches since you brought in 26 ‘new’ players between prep and transfers???

Meh interview..gotta get to work, don’t have talent. Lol, it’s the second most talented team in the ACC with the highest paid coaching staff.

So which is it, the coaches stinking or the players you have can’t cut it which falls directly on the coaches since you brought in 26 ‘new’ players between prep and transfers???

It is? Based on what?

Advertisement
Back