Mario Cristobal got paid record amount in 2022

Advertisement
Earned it? Earned it how? Have you not seen his record in the ACC or overall since he's been here?

My bad, he didn't have the perfect conditions to come in and win at least 8 games, or not lose to MTSU so he's excused lol
You wanna mope go on ahead. Don't come around later if we have a good year and act like you told us so.

Fire whoever is in charge of mowing the grass
season 15 episode 3 GIF

Advertisement
Might as well lock this thread. It’s gonna get bumped for 3 days by people not reading the article nor the first page of replies and it’s just gonna be dozens of dozens of mopes over and over posting the same **** with people correcting him with the same responses.
In all fairness I don’t think explaining away 15 million as money he didn't get to pocket changes anything. It still shows the largest ever commitment the university made. Where the money went is a distraction. This is supposed to be the University finally taking football serious.

In all fairness I don’t think explaining away 15 million as money he didn't get to pocket changes anything. It still shows the largest ever commitment the university made. Where the money went is a distraction. This is supposed to be the University finally taking football serious.

Agreed, but we knew all this. We knew it was the biggest commitment the program ever made, we knew he was making roughly 7-8M per year and we knew we were paying his buyout. There is literally nothing new in this article.

But really my post was about the average CISer getting an F- in reading comprehension. The original post is fine. It’s just that there will be 20 pages of Groundhog Day. “He made how much?!” (Remember, we all knew this). Followed by “HE personally didn’t make that. It’s his salary plus the Oregon buyout”. Over and over, because the number mentioned in the article catches people’s eye who don’t understand how this works. Useless thread past the first page or 2, IMO. But whatever, there are plenty of those, may as well leave this one up too.

Agreed, but we knew all this. We knew it was the biggest commitment the program ever made, we knew he was making roughly 7-8M per year and we knew we were paying his buyout. There is literally nothing new in this article.

But really my post was about the average CISer getting an F- in reading comprehension. The original post is fine. It’s just that there will be 20 pages of Groundhog Day. “He made how much?!” (Remember, we all knew this). Followed by “HE personally didn’t make that. It’s his salary plus the Oregon buyout”. Over and over, because the number mentioned in the article catches people’s eye who don’t understand how this works. Useless thread past the first page or 2, IMO. But whatever, there are plenty of those, may as well leave this one up too.
Sounds like you are expecting CIS to evolve in the midst of a 30 page thread over the QB3/4 battle.

Advertisement
Mario commentary aside, it did cost UM $22 Million to have him here.

EDIT:
Good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Mario commentary aside, it did cost UM $22 Million to have him here.

It represents investment in the []__[]University of Miami brand. The split []__[] is the institutional logo and known worldwide because of football. We can't have our brand getting curb-stomped every weekend during the Fall.

22M for HC or 100M over there for facilities; it's to make sure our brand-ambassadors represent & maintain the standard.

Last edited:

Yes, but that is how WE feel. Money is being spent, and we are happy about this.

The problem with the reporting is the differential between the headline and the details (most of which were, fairly enough, included in the article). However, the article was written from the context-free standpoint of evaluating a "non-profit", and makes UM look like an outlier.

Does the article mention that buyouts are STANDARD, even across other "non-profit" private schools, as well as (god forbid) state schools funded by (clutches pearls) TAXPAYERS? No it did not. And the article took pains to mention the "21% excise tax" on the comp above $1M, as if it was some sort of unusual item.

So while I agree with your point on "distraction", it goes beyond that. It is a very harmful distraction that takes the conversation into very partisan political territory on highly-compensated employees. Let's not forget that some of the more "sensitive" states (like Mississippi) put limits on how much coaches can be paid. Which, of course, are routinely end-run in a variety of manners.

If you don't think the article was a big deal because it didn't change your viewpoint, that is fine. No problem. But I think that quite a few people will read that article and form disproportionate opinions about "one school" or "one coach", and will think that UM's deal with Mario is some sort of aberration.

It is not.

Advertisement
Back