Marc Trestman

Didn't want Trestman when it was down to him, Golden, and Edsall the last time the job was open ... And I still don't want him.

Advertisement
As others have pointed out, he's a smart guy, but if he's not going to be aggressive on the recruiting trail we don't want him. We need someone that will get the kids we need, and get the most out of them. I'm not sure he'd get the kids we need.

Didn't want Trestman when it was down to him, Golden, and Edsall the last time the job was open ... And I still don't want him.

Good god. Look at the three finalists for the job in 2010: Al Golden, Marc Trestman, Randy Edsall

Advertisement
I would love for Butch or Schiano to bring in Trestman as an OC..

Again...this isn't realistic. At least not here.

how much do CFL head coaches make?

If Coley gets 500k if he bolts couldn't we pay Trestman 700k?

ADDED TO POST

according to this link CFL HCs make between 200-300k per year. AKA less then Coley

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_CFL_head_coaches_make_in_a_year

Is that Canadian dollars...

Trestman is a terrible choice as a CEO.

Comparing him to Saban, Carroll, and Petrino is hilarious. Those guys did something in college as CEOs.

I'd be worried about recruiting w/ Trestman. Guy doesn't have much of an outgoing personality and looks like a straight up old man pedophile. He did win a lot in the CFL tho.

Well you'd save money on a offensive coordinator since he'd basically double as his own OC...to me that provides an opportunity to overpay for a better DC and/or "ace" recruiter type to pair with him.

**** under this scenario you could keep Coley on staff since Trestman would undoubtedly call his own plays...you could then "promote" Coley to assistant head coach and let him focus on nothing but recruiting.

That might actually work. Isn't that Jimbo did in Trailerhassee with Coley as his "OC" and Stoops as his D coordinator?

Whether it's Trestman or someone else we are going to have to get creative with the coaching structure cause at the end of the day we have a cheap *** administration which barely cares about football.

Those of you holding out pipe dreams for big named coaching staffs need to come to grips with the fact that we probably won't do much better than the scenario I laid out above.

To be clear...of course I'd love Butch, Ryan, Schiano, etc etc etc...my point is I'm not 100% convinced our ****ing retarded administration is going to make such an obvious hire. If you work under that assumption the Trestman scenario isn't a horrible one. Let him focus on the offensive side of the ball and get him a good DC. Keep Coley as his recruiting "ace".

Jedi,

I like your way of thinking.
You are taking a realistic approach to who we would - or rather, should - be hiring if/when we go
on the market for the next HC.
Alot of our fellow fans tend to be unrealistic naming coaches who won't be able (or willing) to pry
because of money or their current job.
And I also think UM will stay away from Butch, unfortunately.
So, as you note in your premise, we need to find ways to be creative.
For starters, I think we need to modernize our offense....find a coach willing to implement
a spread scheme where we can run and pass and adjust accordingly to whatever talent
we have available.
I think it is alot easier to afford a very strong coaching staff if we follow that scheme,
and it is certainly easier to replace coordinators when we lose assistants.

This is why I think looking at retreads like Trestman is a bad idea.

Advertisement
Nice offensive mind, but no chance in **** do I want him trying to lead a program.

Good god. Look at the three finalists for the job in 2010: Al Golden, Marc Trestman, Randy Edsall

yup and that was precloud

This is why I'm on the Justin Fuente or Mark Hudspeth train ...

We're not getting anyone elite to come coach this team, with the resources we have available. We need an up and comer, and continue to grow resources as they have success.

Low HC salary
Low Assistant salaries
Small support staff
No on-campus stadium ...
No practice bubble ...
No large fan-base to treat the coach and their family like royalty ...

This isn't a traditional college job ... So, getting someone "established" is not likely.

But taking a coach from Memphis or Louisiana Lafayette could work.

The location (assuming they'd like living in South Florida), proximity to talent, tradition of the program, and bump in pay could get either guy. And based on the first 3 items, they might not run at the first opportunity to boost the 4th.

Advertisement
Back