Off-Topic Marathon FL fishing tips?

CFLCane

Junior
Banned
Renting a house and 24ft center console in marathon fl for a week withe the fam. I plan on doing a some patch reef fishing and the 7 mile bridge but any advice or areas to hit would be appreciated.

I didnt bring trolling gear just deep dropping rods and med to light tackle inshore setups.

Advertisement
Renting a house and 24ft center console in marathon fl for a week withe the fam. I plan on doing a some patch reef fishing and the 7 mile bridge but any advice or areas to hit would be appreciated.

I didnt bring trolling gear just deep dropping rods and med to light tackle inshore setups.
when are you going? I'm driving down next Friday and staying in Coco Plum with my bay boat. I've been reading and studying for weeks.. how much info do you want? You just doing fishing or doing any diving?

when are you going? I'm driving down next Friday and staying in Coco Plum with my bay boat. I've been reading and studying for weeks.. how much info do you want? You just doing fishing or doing any diving?

Just arrived, ive watched the videos, scouted google earth, and ive got public #s. This is mostly a leisure trip tho and im the only real fisherman in the group so ive only got 2 days to figure out how to slime the deck. Rest of the week is snorkling, drinking and eatn.

Any specific deeper #s any cane could share would be muc appreciated.

Thanks for that link ill check it out. Btw the green turtle inn blackened fish sandwich is awesome.

Last edited:
Just arrived, ive watched the videos, scouted google earth, and ive got public #s. This is mostly a leisure trip tho and im the only real fisherman in the group so ive only got 2 days to figure out how to slime the deck. Rest of the week is snorkling, drinking and eatn.

Any specific deeper #s any cane could share would be muc appreciated.

Thanks for that link ill check it out. Btw the green turtle inn blackened fish sandwich is awesome.

I don't have any numbers, just some spots I've found I want to check out. Are you chumming like a mad man?

I've got some deeper spots I want to check. About 10 nm 273 degrees from the sand bar area outside of Vaca cut.

Screenshot_20220611-150315_Boating.jpg

Advertisement
I don't have any numbers, just some spots I've found I want to check out. Are you chumming like a mad man?

I've got some deeper spots I want to check. About 10 nm 273 degrees from the sand bar area outside of Vaca cut.

View attachment 188934
Ya everything ive read says chum like crazy especially in the shallower reefs. I'm going to be sending one block down to the bottom and another off the side of the boat. This area im going to check out first then head to the ledge and some further spots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-161110_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-161110_Maps.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 5
Ya everything ive read says chum like crazy especially in the shallower reefs. I'm going to be sending one block down to the bottom and another off the side of the boat. This area im going to check out first then head to the ledge and some further spots.
If the weather allows, I'm going deep as I can.. to an extent as I have no plans on trolling. I might try to run and gun some dolphin or bf tuna. Other than that my plan is 150 ft or so for Mutton, grouper, and yellow tail closer to the top. I'm also planning on bridge fishing and maybe trying the gulf for some mangrove snapper. I can get Mutton here in Charleston but I gotta go almost 40 miles to get to 100 ft depth. People I'm going with think Looe key is a long trip at 30 miles but I laugh and say it takes 25 miles just to break the jetties from where I put in. Only thing I need is for the wind to stay below 12 kts and my boat should be able to handle the seas.

This might be helpful

Chum recipes

If the weather allows, I'm going deep as I can.. to an extent as I have no plans on trolling. I might try to run and gun some dolphin or bf tuna. Other than that my plan is 150 ft or so for Mutton, grouper, and yellow tail closer to the top. I'm also planning on bridge fishing and maybe trying the gulf for some mangrove snapper. I can get Mutton here in Charleston but I gotta go almost 40 miles to get to 100 ft depth. People I'm going with think Looe key is a long trip at 30 miles but I laugh and say it takes 25 miles just to break the jetties from where I put in. Only thing I need is for the wind to stay below 12 kts and my boat should be able to handle the seas.

This might be helpful

Chum recipes
Im with ya man. Its a 30+mile run from where im at in central florida on both the golf and atlantic side to get to 100+ feet. Im mostly a flats inshore guy because of that. I sold my skiff awhile back and mostly just kayak fish now. I like the simplicity. I hope this full moon doesnt **** me up. Ill report back hopefully with fish pics lol.

Im with ya man. Its a 30+mile run from where im at in central florida on both the golf and atlantic side to get to 100+ feet. Im mostly a flats inshore guy because of that. I sold my skiff awhile back and mostly just kayak fish now. I like the simplicity. I hope this full moon doesnt **** me up. Ill report back hopefully with fish pics lol.
Currents will probably be brutal this week.. and not much better next week when I'm there. I'm a flats guy also, my bay boat is pretty much a stretched out flats boat with a t top. Good luck, I can't wait to get down there and do some fishing.

Advertisement
Brother you are in an awesome place to fish you can go Bayside and ocean side same day .

Get yourself an experienced guide and you’ll hook up all day long.

Keys fishing is unchallenged ENJOY BROTHER

How's the current? gotta be brutal right now.
Snorkled at coffin patch early, chummed turtle shoals for a bit but just a few nibbles. Went out to the thunderbolt wreck and caught a few small AJs but ya the current was ripping hard and i could tell the rollers were affecting morale. 6oz couldnt hold the bottom. Rental boat didnt have a long enough anchor roap for 120ft so did a few drifts. Gonna go back out in the evening and wet some lines at vacay cut and drink a few brews. Im with a bunch of casuals so this is really just a scouting mission for when i come back with my fishing buddies.

Advertisement
Snorkled at coffin patch early, chummed turtle shoals for a bit but just a few nibbles. Went out to the thunderbolt wreck and caught a few small AJs but ya the current was ripping hard and i could tell the rollers were affecting morale. 6oz couldnt hold the bottom. Rental boat didnt have a long enough anchor roap for 120ft so did a few drifts. Gonna go back out in the evening and wet some lines at vacay cut and drink a few brews. Im with a bunch of casuals so this is really just a scouting mission for when i come back with my fishing buddies.
Even if you don't catch ****.. just being there has to lighten the soul. I'm gonna guess the rental boat doesn't have a trolling motor. I'm hoping my spot lock can hold position because I have no plans on using my anchor while I'm down there. Sounds like I'm going to need to up my weight, I was hoping 6oz would do the trick. Small AJ's on light tackle is always fun.

@CFLCane You probably already know this but the current tomorrow between 11 and 2 will be insane. Might be a good time for an extended lunch.
How was coffins patch? I really want to hit there, sombrero, and looe key if the weather works out in our favor.

Advertisement
Sharing a story :

I can still picture this 45 years later:

Drifting with my brother in-laws hanging off dingy either Hope Town or Walkers Cay with Hawaiian sling getting snapper and a bunch of Conch that we’d happen to see for Conch fritters slamming Rum Punch while cooking all this stuff

One of the greatest time in my life

@CFLCane You probably already know this but the current tomorrow between 11 and 2 will be insane. Might be a good time for an extended lunch.
How was coffins patch? I really want to hit there, sombrero, and looe key if the weather works out in our favor.
It was my first salwater snorkle experience surpisingly. Going to sombrero and maybe loee key tomorrow so ill have a better idea after how they rank.

Even if you don't catch ****.. just being there has to lighten the soul. I'm gonna guess the rental boat doesn't have a trolling motor. I'm hoping my spot lock can hold position because I have no plans on using my anchor while I'm down there. Sounds like I'm going to need to up my weight, I was hoping 6oz would do the trick. Small AJ's on light tackle is always fun.
No trolling motor. Spot lock should hold if u have a 24v good thrust so long as you dont have a big wind combined with current

Advertisement
Back