Manny

Advertisement
For the people who matter in making decisions, there was no such thing as the popular choice. People decided to conflate social media popularity with preferred options. One of the more ridiculous things I've seen in a bit. Like I've repeated, even if Diaz preferred Tate's off-field behavior, his mother****ing job and Enos' entire validation ride on making the choice based on performance. We weren't going to get anything other than what they thought would best get them to their personal goals.

For the people who matter in making decisions, there was no such thing as the popular choice. People decided to conflate social media popularity with preferred options. One of the more ridiculous things I've seen in a bit. Like I've repeated, even if Diaz preferred Tate's off-field behavior, his mother****ing job and Enos' entire validation ride on making the choice based on performance. We weren't going to get anything other than what they thought would best get them to their personal goals.

This all day and every day.

Advertisement
Said this in the other thread....

Unbelievable job by Manny to get hired as the new HC, convince Jarren to stay after the disaster of last years offense and OC;

Then bring in Tate & Enos to show these guys (Kosi & Jarren) how to be leaders and hard workers as QBs; and finally to create a QB competition for 7-8 months;

And then to have the balls to go with the best talent/QB for the team and future when he hasn't started a game/barely played in college yet. O and yea game 1 is against UF on national TV.

Manny has BALLS

Last edited:

The popular choice would’ve damaged all that team brotherhood and togetherness in my opinion, glad manny picked the qb who earned it

Advertisement

This.

It blows my mind that people genuinely think anything goes into a decision like this other than who the best player is. People’s jobs are on the line. Aka people’s lives are on the line. But it’s a popularity contest? Insane how unintelligent people are.

We'd be having this thread if any 3 of the QB's won the job because Manny was NEVER going to be pressured in to making a decision. He left it for the competition to sort things out and decide our starter.

Manny Diaz just stood tall and picked the guy who had the best camp and won the job.

He chose the guy who performed the best, instead of the highly-rated and nationally-hyped transfer.

That took balls right there. Especially considering some rumors of off-the-field issues. Just shows Manny has a ruthless mentality and will get the best player on the field no matter what.

Great sign for us.

Advertisement
I'm all in w/Jarren, and I think he will do well. He's a big pro-style QB that can move. I think he can be as good as say Stephen Morris was at UM. Possibly better. And I think for the past few years in this offense, we would have KILLED to have had a Stephen Morris style QB under center. His ceiling is probably higher than Morris' was too.

I will say this, though - I think there's still a possibility that Tate continues to grow in this offense and could make things interesting on down the line IF Jarren struggles (note - I don't expect him to). One thing regarding Tate that was reported is that he was still adjusting to multiple things Enos asked of him - a new way to grip the football, working under center, different reads versus what he had in HS and at tOSU*...so if he continues to work, who knows? Maybe he comes back and plays a role eventually.

I also wouldn't be opposed to seeing Tate consider a move to WR. He's great with the ball in his hands...he could be a good elusive slot if he can translate his scrambling ability into some route running and using a guy like Berrios as a template.

Lastly - I expect N'Kosi to transfer. I could be dead wrong, but I think that's how it plays out. If somehow Tate pulls off a position switch like I mentioned, maybe N'Kosi stays as a backup to Jarren. I don't know, none of us do. I don't think N'Kosi has enough athleticism to him to consider any kind of position switch like Tate could.

I think both N'Kosi/Tate are talented enough QB's to play somewhere, but Jarren won the job here. Unless they decide to keep pressing and try to win it back in the event Jarren struggles, they both could decide to seek out another destination. I'm selfish and don't think they should, but I'd understand if they did.

Fully agree. I do think that whenever you get a transfer QB that's a starting role threat, you assume there was a wink wink agreement in place; that's the only legitimate concern that people may have had about the competition. Manny eliminated any concerns about that too.

Side note, I also think this is great for recruiting. Meritocracy. You get what you earn.

I'm all in w/Jarren, and I think he will do well. He's a big pro-style QB that can move. I think he can be as good as say Stephen Morris was at UM. Possibly better. And I think for the past few years in this offense, we would have KILLED to have had a Stephen Morris style QB under center. His ceiling is probably higher than Morris' was too.

I will say this, though - I think there's still a possibility that Tate continues to grow in this offense and could make things interesting on down the line IF Jarren struggles (note - I don't expect him to). One thing regarding Tate that was reported is that he was still adjusting to multiple things Enos asked of him - a new way to grip the football, working under center, different reads versus what he had in HS and at tOSU*...so if he continues to work, who knows? Maybe he comes back and plays a role eventually.

I also wouldn't be opposed to seeing Tate consider a move to WR. He's great with the ball in his hands...he could be a good elusive slot if he can translate his scrambling ability into some route running and using a guy like Berrios as a template.

Lastly - I expect N'Kosi to transfer. I could be dead wrong, but I think that's how it plays out. If somehow Tate pulls off a position switch like I mentioned, maybe N'Kosi stays as a backup to Jarren. I don't know, none of us do. I don't think N'Kosi has enough athleticism to him to consider any kind of position switch like Tate could.

I think both N'Kosi/Tate are talented enough QB's to play somewhere, but Jarren won the job here. Unless they decide to keep pressing and try to win it back in the event Jarren struggles, they both could decide to seek out another destination. I'm selfish and don't think they should, but I'd understand if they did.
Definitely think Tate gets some burn. They’ll utilize his skill set somehow

Advertisement

Yes... BUT there are all kinds of cognitive biases and heuristics that can impact decision making in a situation like this. Props to the coaches for (apparently) not falling victim to them.

I mentioned in another post what I still feel to be a large part of the decision - better to fit the qb to the system than tailor the offense to the player.

Obviously the accuracy and other factors went into the decision as well. But when you have a certain style like Enos does, you don’t just scrap it because a guy can make some plays with his feet.

Looks like it was a truly open competition. That should bode well as far as keeping true freshman motivated and on the recruiting trail. The best man gets the job.

I can guarantee if QB1 can’t get the job done Enos won’t hesitate to pull the trigger to replace them if it’s in the best interest of the team. This won’t be a replay of last year where we were stuck with same QB an entire game with a passing completion percentage that looks like a batting ave

Advertisement
Back