Manny, Tate, Lincoln and Baker

rayray

Sophomore
I get it--the comparison between Manny Diaz and Lincoln Riley is obvious.

And yeah, I get it--the comparison between Tate Martell and Baker Mayfield is obvious.

Still right now, if you ask me, an Oklahoma-like surge is on the table for Miami. I'm not saying it's going to happen--maybe Manny is the next Wille Taggart and Tate is the next elite QB recruit who turns out to be a bust. We have Clemson in our conference, so the playoff would be a lot to ask even for a great team. But just like Lincoln Riley found his perfect QB in Baker, it's possible Manny may have found his perfect QB in Tate.

The combo of Riley and Mayfield energized a national power that had tapered off. The offense was unstoppable and Baker had the sort of star power that made Oklahoma one of the hottest and coolest programs in the country. Oklahoma's three recruiting classes before Riley was hired as offensive coordinator finished outside the top 15 in 247's composite rankings; Riley's two full classes as head coach have finished in the top 10, and this year will probably be top 5.

I'm not saying that Miami's offense is going to be that good, because it won't be. But to return to national relevance it doesn't need to be--Mark Richt and Malik Rosier proved that in 2017. That year, Manny reestablished the program's identity by having a defense that played with energy and aggression and attacked the other team. The turnover chain embodied the U, and the Dolphins' stadium became the Rock, which shook like the OB.

When Manny took over as head coach, he said he wanted to replicate that in his offense. I'll leave the on-field breakdowns to people like Roman and Lance, but I believe the comparisons between Martell and Mayfield when it comes to attitude and star power. Miami's quarterback room right now has shown itself to be immature. Tate has thrived in the center of attention since high school, and we've already seen since announcing his transfer that he is not afraid to be the face of the program. If Miami returns to national relevance with Tate at QB, he is ready to be a star. More to the point, he's ready to be a star Cane--swaggy and ****y, the kind of player the other team's fanbase hates. His coach will only encourage him.

I agree with @DMoney that as far as recruiting goes, consistently winning cures all. But with Manny and Tate, we have the pieces in place for a new era of the Miami everyone remembers--the kind of Miami that is exciting enough to stack up top 5 recruiting classes.

(Or maybe we'll just go 7-6 again.)

Advertisement
1E4E2E43-0CF7-4CB9-9C96-E9B70CAC202A.gif

They’ll need to get that OL right, and patch some other holes, but it looks like manny is doing things the right way. This may be what Miami needs to get back to relevance.

Or maybe we’ll just go 7-6 again.

Advertisement

And yeah, I get it--the comparison between Tate Martell and Baker Mayfield is obvious.

Still right now, if you ask me, an Oklahoma-like surge is on the table for Miami. I'm not saying it's going to happen--maybe Manny is the next Wille Taggart and Tate is the next elite QB recruit who turns out to be a bust. We have Clemson in our conference, so the playoff would be a lot to ask even for a great team. But just like Lincoln Riley found his perfect QB in Baker, it's possible Manny may have found his perfect QB in Tate.

The combo of Riley and Mayfield energized a national power that had tapered off. The offense was unstoppable and Baker had the sort of star power that made Oklahoma one of the hottest and coolest programs in the country. Oklahoma's three recruiting classes before Riley was hired as offensive coordinator finished outside the top 15 in 247's composite rankings; Riley's two full classes as head coach have finished in the top 10, and this year will probably be top 5.

I'm not saying that Miami's offense is going to be that good, because it won't be. But to return to national relevance it doesn't need to be--Mark Richt and Malik Rosier proved that in 2017. That year, Manny reestablished the program's identity by having a defense that played with energy and aggression and attacked the other team. The turnover chain embodied the U, and the Dolphins' stadium became the Rock, which shook like the OB.

When Manny took over as head coach, he said he wanted to replicate that in his offense. I'll leave the on-field breakdowns to people like Roman and Lance, but I believe the comparisons between Martell and Mayfield when it comes to attitude and star power. Miami's quarterback room right now has shown itself to be immature. Tate has thrived in the center of attention since high school, and we've already seen since announcing his transfer that he is not afraid to be the face of the program. If Miami returns to national relevance with Tate at QB, he is ready to be a star. More to the point, he's ready to be a star Cane--swaggy and ****y, the kind of player the other team's fanbase hates. His coach will only encourage him.

I agree with @DMoney that as far as recruiting goes, consistently winning cures all. But with Manny and Tate, we have the pieces in place for a new era of the Miami everyone remembers--the kind of Miami that is exciting enough to stack up top 5 recruiting classes.

Dude shut up

You didn't just write an Essay to have a half *** stance on the outlook later. 2 things, 1. Florida vs. Miami in Orlando is our toughest game. 2. Florida isn't that tough. I could see 10-2 at worst regular season.

Advertisement
Fundamental difference between Miami and OU. OU was winning big under Stoops, they had been rolling at a good clip for the previous 15 years before Riley was promoted. People also forget that Riley inherited a ton more talent and resources than Diaz, who is having to fill his roster with transfers to make up for years of iffy recruiting. There are few, if any true similarities to the situations, or the coaches themselves. Riley was an experienced, highly successful OC in a world where that is the best skillset to have. Diaz is a former hotshot DC that had to go away for awhile before getting another chance at Miami and then made the best of it.

They’ll need to get that OL right, and patch some other holes, but it looks like manny is doing things the right way. This may be what Miami needs to get back to relevance.

Or maybe we’ll just go 7-6 again.

And OL always takes the longest to get experience and depth at. Have good young talent though. I'd like to see another grad transfer there, and need the right coaching to get them operating cohesively.

Advertisement
[QUOTE="rayray, post: 3837871, member: 5649"]I get it--the comparison between Manny Diaz and Lincoln Riley is obvious.

(Or maybe we'll just go 7-6 again.)[/QUOTE]

It is? Riley is perceived as an offensive savant. See http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...han-everybody-else/1kymtxbn4v08014kh8h7ihmjfl. I want Manny to succeed here, and he has had defensive success (with some ups and downs as well), but I don't think anyone is making similar claims about him.

On the flip side, Manny is a natural fit at Miami. Hopefully that matters a lot.

Advertisement
I think this is what Manny is referring to when he says TNM. That we won’t or shouldn’t compare these Canes to teams of the past, that this is now a new chapter in Hurricanes lore. He’s got his hands full with being a new HC and having to bring in an entire offensive staff. I do not believe Lincoln had to do that although one could say he has the opposite issue defensively. It will be interesting how Martell fits in with the team and as a new leader for the team. I strongly feel Diaz is going to be a successful HC - he just has too many of the qualities and demeanor necessary to succeed. Let’s let him be himself and not compare him, or the program, to OU or another other for that matter. It’s TNM

That's very possible, but didn't 2018 teach you anything? Or really any of the last 15 years?

They did. I'm not bashing the OP for playing both sides. Just seems like a big Write Up that ends with "But Who Knows". We went 7-6 because the Offense took a step back from 10-1 (regular season) the year before. Every fan knows that the Pittsburgh game was winnable. Yes the Hurricanes didn't have a bye week because (Actual) Hurricane messed up there schedule. Yes we played that game in the cold at Pitt after a Thanksgiving Feast. But if Mark Richt had a more Diverse Playbook we wouldve won it. Manny Diaz is the bright part of that era and hes back and better than ever. If you think Enos isn't Qualified that's your opinion and I respect it until he proves otherwise. But Enos has the respect of his peers for a reason. This Buzz is real, reminds me of when Lebron announced he was coming to south beach. Not promising any Championships but I believe Miami will DOMINATE the coastal. And the Gators are an easier opponent than LSU was last year to start the season. FSU will be a Caged Dog Fight like always, but even if we get injuries I see enough depth to compete at a high level. And the recruiting show isn't over

Advertisement
Back