Manny Suxx MEGA THREAD

T-Rob is a very nice leap forward, but the retention of baker as DC would be a giant step backwards, one that arguably makes the T-Rob hire virtually meaningless. I still don’t expect him to be retained, but need to see it to believe it.

Mostly false. While I agree about the overall sentiment about the DC, the teams who win do so much more due to the talent they have rather than the scheme they run. Not that it’s irrelevant, of course; but you simply cannot say the hiring of T-Rob is irrelevant. T-Rob’s responsibilities here, in order, are:

1. Recruit and sign elite DBs
2. Coach them to take their talents and improve from elite HS recruit to elite college player

If he does both of those things, TRUST ME, it makes any DC look a **** of a lot better. Not defending Baker, I agree if Manny is serious about this, he needs to go. But you can’t say him staying makes T-Rob’s hiring meaningless. Totally false. Think Baker (or anyone’s) 2020 Hurricanes defense would look better with Pat Surtain and Tyson Campbell and Tyrique Stevenson playing corner instead of DJ Ivey?

Advertisement
T-Rob is a very nice leap forward, but the retention of baker as DC would be a giant step backwards, one that arguably makes the T-Rob hire virtually meaningless. I still don’t expect him to be retained, but need to see it to believe it.

If we're being 100% honest, keeping Baker destroys any offseason goodwill Manny has gained. Pull the rip cord and do what must be done.

I never wanted Manny here, it's well documented on these boards. With that said it takes a certain type of person to not only fire "your boys" BUT ALSO to completely scrap a defensive system you've been running since your coordinator days.

If he completes that last sentence, then in my mind he's at least earned another chance. I still have my doubts though.

If we're being 100% honest, keeping Baker destroys any offseason goodwill Manny has gained. Pull the rip cord and do what must be done.

I never wanted Manny here, it's well documented on these boards. With that said it takes a certain type of person to not only fire "your boys" BUT ALSO to completely scrap a defensive system you've been running since your coordinator days.

If he completes that last sentence, then in my mind he's at least earned another chance. I still have my doubts though.

#weareallpitt

I have a hard time believing T-Rob would come here to work for a lame-duck who is less qualified than he is to run a Defense at a major school.

dancing GIF

Advertisement
I could see baker staying at least another year with new position coaches around him. Do I like it ? No but it is what it is.

Mostly false. While I agree about the overall sentiment about the DC, the teams who win do so much more due to the talent they have rather than the scheme they run. Not that it’s irrelevant, of course; but you simply cannot say the hiring of T-Rob is irrelevant. T-Rob’s responsibilities here, in order, are:

1. Recruit and sign elite DBs
2. Coach them to take their talents and improve from elite HS recruit to elite college player

If he does both of those things, TRUST ME, it makes any DC look a **** of a lot better. Not defending Baker, I agree if Manny is serious about this, he needs to go. But you can’t say him staying makes T-Rob’s hiring meaningless. Totally false. Think Baker (or anyone’s) 2020 Hurricanes defense would look better with Pat Surtain and Tyson Campbell and Tyrique Stevenson playing corner instead of DJ Ivey?
i agree with this. I think Rumph was a good CB coach but bad recruiter

had t-rob been here and somehow landed surtain, campbell, or jobe then we wouldn't be giving baker crap at all right now because the talent influx would have taken care of itself

had t-rob been here and somehow landed surtain, campbell, or jobe then we wouldn't be giving baker crap at all right now because the talent influx would have taken care of itself

It's not quite that simple. I say this all the time on this board, and in real-life. The world is very rarely black and white. We live almost exclusively in a gray area. So, Baker is almost certainly a bad P5 coordinator. I think we have enough data to say that we can do better. So you cannot say "wouldn't be giving Baker crap at all." We can and should upgrade from him. But talent masks a lot of deficiencies. He would look A LOT better with serviceable linebackers, for one (*whispers* he did just last season). And for the T-Rob discussion, replace DJ Ivey with Pat Surtain and tell me how much better Blake Baker looks at his job.

Now, I'm not saying we're going to immediately land Pat Surtain 2.0 the second T-Rob arrives. It wasn't ALL Rumph why we didn't get him. I'm just saying, upgrade the talent. Do we have more talent than should be allowing 700 yards to UNC? 1000000%. Absolutely. That's totally inexcusable and as I've said many times since, someone should lose their job for it. But do we have playoff talent on defense? Do we have Top 10 talent on defense? Absolutely not. And that's what T-Rob was hired to help fix. Along with hopefully others.

Advertisement

I used to think that about Rumph, but our CB’s don’t play with sound technique. When was the last time one of our cornerbacks actually turned and looked for the ball? Granted, Baker doesn’t make it easy on anyone with his soft, illogical schemes, but still. Our DE’s put enough pressure on the quarterback this year in order for our cornerbacks to have a really good year and certainly a lot more interceptions.

I don’t know if Rumph used to do a better job and then if players just gave up on him, or some combination of things, but it’s very clear that his players did not play well this year and at the end of the day that’s on him. Obviously, when you combine that with terrible recruiting, then he’s just collecting a paycheck essentially. I might as well be coaching those players at that point and collecting a check. I’m not a coach by the way.

Assuming we start playing more bump and run and man, I expect our cornerbacks to take a major step forward this year and that would include more INT’s.

It's not quite that simple. I say this all the time on this board, and in real-life. The world is very rarely black and white. We live almost exclusively in a gray area. So, Baker is almost certainly a bad P5 coordinator. I think we have enough data to say that we can do better. So you cannot say "wouldn't be giving Baker crap at all." We can and should upgrade from him. But talent masks a lot of deficiencies. He would look A LOT better with serviceable linebackers, for one (*whispers* he did just last season). And for the T-Rob discussion, replace DJ Ivey with Pat Surtain and tell me how much better Blake Baker looks at his job.

Now, I'm not saying we're going to immediately land Pat Surtain 2.0 the second T-Rob arrives. It wasn't ALL Rumph why we didn't get him. I'm just saying, upgrade the talent. Do we have more talent than should be allowing 700 yards to UNC? 1000000%. Absolutely. That's totally inexcusable and as I've said many times since, someone should lose their job for it. But do we have playoff talent on defense? Do we have Top 10 talent on defense? Absolutely not. And that's what T-Rob was hired to help fix. Along with hopefully others.
i know that t-rob doesn't land all those guys, even bama only got 2. Rumph got us to the #1 passing defense in the country and then of course this year everything unraveled. Now we'll say well manny was calling plays and we had good linebackers and a good passrush, well Bama, UGA, Ohio State can all the say the same.

now do I think he would do that again? no. But he proved that he could get a unit to perform at an elite level, recruiting was most certainly his downfall in my opinion

T-Rob who's obviously more qualified than rumph can achieve way more with increased talent levels and talent can hide a lot of deficiencies

*Note: Aside from this, Manny has to do a better job recruiting athletes on defense. That might also force his hand and require making other staff moves at the position coach level, as the recruiting misses rear their ugly head just as much as Blake's terrible calls and schemes. More of his guys need to see the axe on the defensive side of the ball if they continue being incapable of signing the quality of player needed to win titles.
Lenoard Taylor
James Williams
Avante Willimas
Thomas Davis
Chase Smith
Kameron Kinchens
Jabari Ishmael
Chantz Williams
Eilja Roberts

All say Hi!!

No one has mentioned that if baker stays doesn't mean the scheme will be the same. We just added a guy who's been dc for five years. You don't think he's going to have a few things for us scheme wise that we'll add.

Advertisement
I once speculated that a major attribute of Manny's which could lead to his potential success as a head coach was his adaptability.

When he was our defensive coordinator, I thought his ability and willingness to identify what wasn't working and quickly rectify the issue was an exciting sign that he was a cerebral guy with a promising future. I think the example I used was his success in fixing his unit's failures on 3rd down in a single off-season by inventing the "striker" position for his defense.

In the subsequent season he improved from 75th in 3rd down defense to 1st in the country. This was extremely promising, as where some older gasbag coaches might just blame execution, Manny appeared to be operating as one of the more modern, analytics-driven type of coaches who is always evaluating without bias and is willing to find an answer to fix a problem or deficiency.

We saw another glimpse of this with the disaster that was the Dan Penos era. After telling the fans he wanted the same thing we did at OC -- uptempo, spread, aggressive, modern -- Manny turned around and hired a dinosaur instead. The rest is history, as Dan Penos and his 1970's playbook helped lead us to a horrendous and boring season filled with several suicidal moments for the taking.

Luckily (and thankfully), once again Manny's willingness to quickly recognize a mistake came into play, as he fired the ever living F out of that imbecile and finally made the correct hire most of us (and he) claimed we wanted the year before. Though he completely and utterly pooped his pants on that hire, his ability to not be stubborn and quickly fix his mistake and the situation was a promising sign.

We are now, however, watching a crucial moment unfold for Manny in this regard. This will be his most important test. He's passed smaller tests on this subject matter, but now he's hearing the boss music start to play as he faces his toughest challenge yet. This is a problem which has plagued several head coaches in the past, and even one particularly bloated piece of human garbage who once roamed the sidelines at Miami. Can Manny Diaz fire a "friend"?

Manny spent several seasons coaching with Blake Baker at La Tech and Texas. While Dan Penos was just some strange grifter off the streets somewhere to Manny, Baker is a colleague and former co-worker he's had a relationship with before bringing him to Miami.

Baker is also a coordinator that just won't cut it if Manny's goal is to lead a program that consistently wins a lot of games and championships. He's going to have to make the ruthless decision all championship coaches have had to at one point or another on their journey to building a juggernaut. Can he be cutthroat and put his feelings aside when he needs to make a necessary move? Can he tell Baker to pack his bags after the season, and find himself the equivalent to Lashlee on the defensive side of the ball? Or will he pull an Al Golden, and go down to the pits of the unemployment line all while holding his buddy's hand?

Does Manny Diaz want to truly win BIG? What he does with Baker will let us know.

*Note: Aside from this, Manny has to do a better job recruiting athletes on defense. That might also force his hand and require making other staff moves at the position coach level, as the recruiting misses rear their ugly head just as much as Blake's terrible calls and schemes. More of his guys need to see the axe on the defensive side of the ball if they continue being incapable of signing the quality of player needed to win titles.
Yea he wants to win, as soon as he figures how!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back