Manny Suxx MEGA THREAD

IDK, I don't see Manny letting Blake go. Blake appears to be a Manny disciple. He runs Manny's D. Who else could he field to run his defense? I personally think the only way Blake leaves is if another program scoops him up at which point Manny will be forced to change. But, IDK, I don't see him voluntarily letting Blake go.

That said, we're also not as talented as year's past so I expected a dip in defensive play this year (and it doesn't help that #15 dipped). Let's face it-Manny and Blake will look a lot smarter and better if James Williams and Taylor are who we hope they are. Coaching counts but so does talent.

Advertisement
I once speculated that a major attribute of Manny's which could lead to his potential success as a head coach was his adaptability.

When he was our defensive coordinator, I thought his ability and willingness to identify what wasn't working and quickly rectify the issue was an exciting sign that he was a cerebral guy with a promising future. I think the example I used was his success in fixing his unit's failures on 3rd down in a single off-season by inventing the "striker" position for his defense.

In the subsequent season he improved from 75th in 3rd down defense to 1st in the country. This was extremely promising, as where some older gasbag coaches might just blame execution, Manny appeared to be operating as one of the more modern, analytics-driven type of coaches who is always evaluating without bias and is willing to find an answer to fix a problem or deficiency.

We saw another glimpse of this with the disaster that was the Dan Penos era. After telling the fans he wanted the same thing we did at OC -- uptempo, spread, aggressive, modern -- Manny turned around and hired a dinosaur instead. The rest is history, as Dan Penos and his 1970's playbook helped lead us to a horrendous and boring season filled with several suicidal moments for the taking.

Luckily (and thankfully), once again Manny's willingness to quickly recognize a mistake came into play, as he fired the ever living F out of that imbecile and finally made the correct hire most of us (and he) claimed we wanted the year before. Though he completely and utterly pooped his pants on that hire, his ability to not be stubborn and quickly fix his mistake and the situation was a promising sign.

We are now, however, watching a crucial moment unfold for Manny in this regard. This will be his most important test. He's passed smaller tests on this subject matter, but now he's hearing the boss music start to play as he faces his toughest challenge yet. This is a problem which has plagued several head coaches in the past, and even one particularly bloated piece of human garbage who once roamed the sidelines at Miami. Can Manny Diaz fire a "friend"?

Manny spent several seasons coaching with Blake Baker at La Tech and Texas. While Dan Penos was just some strange grifter off the streets somewhere to Manny, Baker is a colleague and former co-worker he's had a relationship with before bringing him to Miami.

Baker is also a coordinator that just won't cut it if Manny's goal is to lead a program that consistently wins a lot of games and championships. He's going to have to make the ruthless decision all championship coaches have had to at one point or another on their journey to building a juggernaut. Can he be cutthroat and put his feelings aside when he needs to make a necessary move? Can he tell Baker to pack his bags after the season, and find himself the equivalent to Lashlee on the defensive side of the ball? Or will he pull an Al Golden, and go down to the pits of the unemployment line all while holding his buddy's hand?

Does Manny Diaz want to truly win BIG? What he does with Baker will let us know.

*Note: Aside from this, Manny has to do a better job recruiting athletes on defense. That might also force his hand and require making other staff moves at the position coach level, as the recruiting misses rear their ugly head just as much as Blake's terrible calls and schemes. More of his guys need to see the axe on the defensive side of the ball if they continue being incapable of signing the quality of player needed to win titles.
Even if Manny wants to have a 'protégé' of his own in Blake Baker, the fact of the matter is. Baker is not ready for the full time DC role. Manny as a head coach has to put someone else in that role. I do not know how Baker would handle a demotion, but I would think that or a firing just ha to happen.

I know Manny wants to be aggressive, but he just gave BB too much credit too early in his career. I understand that Miami is typically the place where people make (or break) careers, but Manny is really on the verge of something as an HC, especially if the home town kid can find a way to bring us back to prominence. This is a huge stepping stone.

1605043712162.png

Advertisement
I once speculated that a major attribute of Manny's which could lead to his potential success as a head coach was his adaptability.

When he was our defensive coordinator, I thought his ability and willingness to identify what wasn't working and quickly rectify the issue was an exciting sign that he was a cerebral guy with a promising future. I think the example I used was his success in fixing his unit's failures on 3rd down in a single off-season by inventing the "striker" position for his defense.

In the subsequent season he improved from 75th in 3rd down defense to 1st in the country. This was extremely promising, as where some older gasbag coaches might just blame execution, Manny appeared to be operating as one of the more modern, analytics-driven type of coaches who is always evaluating without bias and is willing to find an answer to fix a problem or deficiency.

We saw another glimpse of this with the disaster that was the Dan Penos era. After telling the fans he wanted the same thing we did at OC -- uptempo, spread, aggressive, modern -- Manny turned around and hired a dinosaur instead. The rest is history, as Dan Penos and his 1970's playbook helped lead us to a horrendous and boring season filled with several suicidal moments for the taking.

Luckily (and thankfully), once again Manny's willingness to quickly recognize a mistake came into play, as he fired the ever living F out of that imbecile and finally made the correct hire most of us (and he) claimed we wanted the year before. Though he completely and utterly pooped his pants on that hire, his ability to not be stubborn and quickly fix his mistake and the situation was a promising sign.

We are now, however, watching a crucial moment unfold for Manny in this regard. This will be his most important test. He's passed smaller tests on this subject matter, but now he's hearing the boss music start to play as he faces his toughest challenge yet. This is a problem which has plagued several head coaches in the past, and even one particularly bloated piece of human garbage who once roamed the sidelines at Miami. Can Manny Diaz fire a "friend"?

Manny spent several seasons coaching with Blake Baker at La Tech and Texas. While Dan Penos was just some strange grifter off the streets somewhere to Manny, Baker is a colleague and former co-worker he's had a relationship with before bringing him to Miami.

Baker is also a coordinator that just won't cut it if Manny's goal is to lead a program that consistently wins a lot of games and championships. He's going to have to make the ruthless decision all championship coaches have had to at one point or another on their journey to building a juggernaut. Can he be cutthroat and put his feelings aside when he needs to make a necessary move? Can he tell Baker to pack his bags after the season, and find himself the equivalent to Lashlee on the defensive side of the ball? Or will he pull an Al Golden, and go down to the pits of the unemployment line all while holding his buddy's hand?

Does Manny Diaz want to truly win BIG? What he does with Baker will let us know.

*Note: Aside from this, Manny has to do a better job recruiting athletes on defense. That might also force his hand and require making other staff moves at the position coach level, as the recruiting misses rear their ugly head just as much as Blake's terrible calls and schemes. More of his guys need to see the axe on the defensive side of the ball if they continue being incapable of signing the quality of player needed to win titles.
I don't think he makes the moves but if he gets rid of Patke Bake city and Rumph that's some big boss ****. He would have to hire recruiters and monster schemers

I don’t want to discredit his previous corrections because he still had to go out and fix those things, but getting rid of Baker and maybe Rumph/Patke is a whole lot different than getting rid of Enos’s.

Let’s see what he does but I’m not holding my breath.

You cannot look at this and say Bakers calls the same game Manny does

i agree that there are many aspects that are different but also from a talent standpoint , manny’s had much better players than baker did esp at the most critical postions in this defense dt and safety
As much as we hype up nesta
Rj and Willis are on another level
I think that’s why it was executed better a lot of the 10-15 yd plays are 5 yd plays with jaquan cleaning up
Baker never had an eraser like jaquan

Advertisement
Sorry if already mentioned Ed, but I believe Blake is also the LB coach...our most inept group. Even the 5th year guy in the program can’t fill the correct gap etc. They don’t know what to do. It is recruited poorly and developed poorly which is a double whammy on Baker. He also has the personality of a dead fish. Zero charisma or natural leadership qualities. Maybe a good human and ok coach but IMO , not a “take” for Miami or a championship team. Take over play calling and Cut bait Manny

Nailed it

Advertisement
Back to first post. Was mentioned Manny should fire some position coaches also. If he fires Baker no DC worth his salt will come unless he hires his on staff and is allowed to run his on defense. Seeing is believing

Advertisement
T-Rob is a step in the right direction. Let's see if he goes one step further and brings in a real DC.

T-Rob is a step in the right direction. Let's see if he goes one step further and brings in a real DC.
T-Rob is a very nice leap forward, but the retention of baker as DC would be a giant step backwards, one that arguably makes the T-Rob hire virtually meaningless. I still don’t expect him to be retained, but need to see it to believe it.

If we do not bring a real DC with a different scheme then T Rob’s hire is irrelevant. A good DC will bring 2-3 staff members with him. At the moment, Baker and Patke are on staff coaching players. We’ll see if things change in that department.

Advertisement
Back