Manny on The Audible Podcast

If he's as good of a HC as he is at talking we're onto a winner here.

Excellent interview - very interesting insight into his background and just generally ticking all the boxes about what Miami should be (and how to get there).

Advertisement
As others say, well worth a listen. Great questions, great answers. Gives some insight into Manny's awareness, judgment and ability to communicate. We couldn't have found a better voice to market Miami football to everyone who matters.

As far as fan impatience, our fans have gotten it right for the most part. We were supportive of the team/coaches during the 10-0 run, but there was a lot of uneasiness up until ND because of the way we were underperforming and squeaking by in games like UNC. We were playing badly in many ways but rescuing ourselves with an incredible number of turnovers, which is not sustainable in the long run. It all came crashing down starting with Pitt, and the fan analysis just incorporated all the prior observations of poor offensive scheme and playcalling into their 2018 assessments. It was absolutely clear to anyone who paid attention that a change was necessary BECAUSE the issues were so obvious and were not getting fixed. Thankfully Richt understood this too at the end of the year and did the honorable thing.

Diaz hasn't won a game yet, but I'm starting to get the feeling that after all of our years of horrible luck, we finally lucked out big time (maybe like with Clemson/Dabo) by having someone with unique talents already in the U family.
Couldn't have said it better myself. And even with those gigantic warning signs pre-ND 90% of Miami fans completely ignored it and were worshipping Richt at his feet which was simply ridiculous. That leads me to believe we're not as impatient as many think.

also recommend this podcast manny was on last offseason... talks a lot about his use of/belief in analytics and where he sees modern defenses going

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/17/15654666/manny-diaz-miami-hurricanes-interview

it's impossible to know if a coach is going to succeed or fail in any job until they do it. that said, i'm a fan of manny and of this hire because i think he's an intelligent, forward thinking guy who doesn't seem to have an ego about the way he does things (which is the reason why lots of intelligent football coaches end up failing)

Dabo made it to the ACCCG his first full season, twice in his first 3 full seasons, and from that point on never won less than 10 games a year. He was never a full blown corch. Here at Miami we have sniper-like precision at identifying corches. We're so starved of success here that if Manny gives us anything near what Dabo did we will have all the patience in the world.

There was nothing in Dabo's background that really screamed success before he stepped in as interim for Bowden. He got fired with Dubose at Alabama. He did not work for a couple of seasons before he took a job at Clemson. He got promoted to AHC but he was still a position coach. He went 6-7 his second full year and then got embarrassed in the Orange Bowl the following year. As Lu or D stated, Manny has the makeup to be a better HC. Hope they are right. So far so good.

Advertisement
Clemson's dominance is a direct result of patience with the right coach for a DECADE. Remember there have been several times the Tiger faithful wanted to run Dabo out of town in his first 5 seasons.

Can Diaz deliver the same? Can the Canes faithful show the same kind of patience?
I don't think canes fans can. once we win 10 games they will want to win 12 next year wont be patient realize sometimes winning isn't always linear I still think diaz wins 10 at least in 19 and I think given where our talent is jrs/soph/freshman this team will be better in 2020 but may not win many more games kids have to learn to win at college level and sometimes it takes that transcendent talent to finally get a team over hump a Watson/lawrence

Clemson's dominance is a direct result of patience with the right coach for a DECADE. Remember there have been several times the Tiger faithful wanted to run Dabo out of town in his first 5 seasons.

Can Diaz deliver the same? Can the Canes faithful show the same kind of patience?

I get your point, but it's worth noting that with the exception of one year, dabo lost 2 or fewer games every year. Miami fans will be flying banners if Diaz wins 10+ for 3 years and doesn't get a NC, but that's a long way away from where we are. Randy, al, and Richt couldn't keep (or really get) us in double digit wins so they got ridden out of town. Let's see Manny put up double digits twice in a row and then we can talk about Miami fans needing to give him time.

I don't think canes fans can. once we win 10 games they will want to win 12 next year wont be patient realize sometimes winning isn't always linear I still think diaz wins 10 at least in 19 and I think given where our talent is jrs/soph/freshman this team will be better in 2020 but may not win many more games kids have to learn to win at college level and sometimes it takes that transcendent talent to finally get a team over hump a Watson/lawrence

It's not all about the number of wins, some of it is about who you lose to and how. It sucks, but losing to 3 top 10 team is understandable at this point. Our problem, the hurdle we need to get over, is losing to teams that have half our talent. Losing to LSU and Wisconsin shouldn't happen, but you can understand how it's possible. Losing to Duke, UVA, and those other clown schools is unexceptable. Just show up and have half of your players awake and we win those type of games.

12 games next season, and there are only 3 teams that have any business giving us a run for our money. And one of those is VT and they're such a mess right now. Fewer than 10 wins means we've underachieved. Again.

Win 10 and we'll talk about expectations being out of control.

It's not all about the number of wins, some of it is about who you lose to and how. It sucks, but losing to 3 top 10 team is understandable at this point. Our problem, the hurdle we need to get over, is losing to teams that have half our talent. Losing to LSU and Wisconsin shouldn't happen, but you can understand how it's possible. Losing to Duke, UVA, and those other clown schools is unexceptable. Just show up and have half of your players awake and we win those type of games.

12 games next season, and there are only 3 teams that have any business giving us a run for our money. And one of those is VT and they're such a mess right now. Fewer than 10 wins means we've underachieved. Again.

Win 10 and we'll talk about expectations being out of control.
yes but we have to remember this is and was a young team last 2 years. very young. young teams lose games to teams they shouldn't. I think that is what people don't understand. they act like richt had a vet team he didn't. don't get me wrong he had to change his system it wasn't working with our oline as didn't have the oline necessary to play a pro style offense but another huge issue for this team is there top talent is all young for most part richt took a team with a 20 pct blue chip ratio when took over and got to an almost 50 pct ratio. yes we lost games sh ouldnt of and I am sure will lose a game or 2 shouldn't this year also but u have to teach people to win and how to win and sometimes that just takes time took Swinney 6 yrs to get Clemson where fans wanted them to be in cfp convo every year.

Advertisement
This team learned how to win close games in 17. We got away as stated before with winning from turnovers. We rolled with a very young club on bad QB play and emotion. With a good QB this team will be a very good one that has gone thru adversity. Manolo knows how to push the right buttons. Love our direction

Last edited:
yes but we have to remember this is and was a young team last 2 years. very young. young teams lose games to teams they shouldn't. I think that is what people don't understand. they act like richt had a vet team he didn't. don't get me wrong he had to change his system it wasn't working with our oline as didn't have the oline necessary to play a pro style offense but another huge issue for this team is there top talent is all young for most part richt took a team with a 20 pct blue chip ratio when took over and got to an almost 50 pct ratio. yes we lost games sh ouldnt of and I am sure will lose a game or 2 shouldn't this year also but u have to teach people to win and how to win and sometimes that just takes time took Swinney 6 yrs to get Clemson where fans wanted them to be in cfp convo every year.

That all sounds logical, but the truth is that last year's team was completely capable of winning 4 of the 6 games they lost. All they needed was to have shown up. Even with Richt's awful offense, they just needed to make the routine plays and we win. No freshman heroics, just the basics. Tackle. Run your route. Catch the ball. Throw the fcking ball in the general vacinity of where it's supposed to go.

Yeah, they were young and we had holes. That's what keeps you from beating LSU and Wisconsin, not what keeps you from the Coastal.

Dabo made it to the ACCCG his first full season, twice in his first 3 full seasons, and from that point on never won less than 10 games a year. He was never a full blown corch.

But he went 6-7 in his second full season (he was 19-15 in his first 2.5 seasons).

Would you or other fans of this program have the patience to wait it out or would he be called a "corch" under those circumstances?

Advertisement
And even with those gigantic warning signs pre-ND 90% of Miami fans completely ignored it and were worshipping Richt at his feet which was simply ridiculous.

And what were those signs?

On October 13th, Richt was 24-8 at Miami and had a better first 3 years than Dabo Swinney at Clemson and then three weeks later everybody said Richt was a corch and a loser.

No matter what happens, our fans are ridiculous.

Advertisement
But that was after losing 19 games in his first 3.5 years.

Mark Richt didn't even get 3.5 years.

Think about that.

Richt won 9 then 10 games, then sht the bed against several inferior teams. He wasn't unprepared to make the jump to greatness, he was losing to teams that had 1/2 our talent. And do you really think his offense was going to start to work next season? Maybe the season after that?

I get the point, Miami fans really don't have any patience. But Richt wasn't going to do anything to make the team better...he made that clear. Everyone could see his offense wasn't working, but he insisted there was no need to change. Everyone could see his play calling was bad, but he insisted there was no need for an OC. Everyone could see our QB situation was a mess, but he hadn't secured a QB for the cycle. And QB isn't generally a position you land on signing day, the good ones commit early and stay committed. He insisted that situation was fine as well. Everyone could see our OL couldn't block the kinds of plays he wanted to run, but they could block run plays from spread formations. But he literally said he didn't see any reason to call more spread formations.

If Manny shows he can identify problems and is willing to make changes to fix them, I'm willing to give him time. But if he's going to put his head in the sand and insist that everything is fine, he'll get no patience from me. Nor should he.

I don't know what else to say to you, if that doesn't tell you we were right not to give him more time then nothing will.

Richt won 9 then 10 games, then sht the bed against several inferior teams. He wasn't unprepared to make the jump to greatness, he was losing to teams that had 1/2 our talent. And do you really think his offense was going to start to work next season? Maybe the season after that?

Dabo coached the majority of the 2008 season and won 4 games.

Then he won 9.

Then he won 6.

You're not going to win this argument by avoiding the question.

Dabo was given time. Richt was run out on a rail after 3 years.

I don't know what else to say to you, if that doesn't tell you we were right not to give him more time then nothing will.

You're just avoiding the comparison to Dabo, that's all.

You're really high on Manny. I get it. So were a lot of people about Randy, about Golden, about Richt.

This happens with every coach.

Advertisement
Back