Manny Is Determined to Play #53

Lol 53 is 53 years old, has been in the same scheme for 4 years and had to move positions because he couldn’t read and react well enough. He’s not good at football just give it up.
I doubt he's older than Realus, though.

Advertisement
After all the flameouts and Greentree all-stars we've had over the years, you'd think posters would be more reluctant to anoint the unproven young guys.

I've been saying it on this board for years: the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town.

Fantastic analysis.

The Trent Harris comparison is apt. He’s a converted high school defensive end who was actually the most athletic of the three freshmen linebackers who started in 2016. He struggles playing in space and can’t read and diagnose an offensive play fast enough as an off the ball player. He’s out of position or just super late to the ball as a linebacker. As a situational end, he can just focus on his one responsibility. It eliminates what he can’t do and emphasizes what he’s better at. He’s not going to be a star there but he will be productive in a limited role. They’re not going to list play two ends the entire game like they did last year. There will be at least four guys getting burn, maybe more. Don’t be shocked if McCloud ends up with 7 or 8 sacks this year.

Advertisement
Harris played outside linebacker “rush” position in D’Onofrio’s defense. Much closer to a defensive end than a linebacker in our current system. They used him to rush the passer, which is what he did best. That’s why he was still a productive player even in a crappy defense.
Trent was a productive player despite the Dorito disaster because he was a good football player. McCloud has not been a good football player.

People always get sucked into comparisons based on similar size and/or skin color. Same reason every white WR under 5’11 is Wes Welker.

Trent was a productive player despite the Dorito disaster because he was a good football player. McCloud has not been a good football player.

People always get sucked into comparisons based on similar size and/or skin color. Same reason every white WR under 5’11 is Wes Welker.
Can we please frame this post! All this x 1000000

After all the flameouts and Greentree all-stars we've had over the years, you'd think posters would be more reluctant to anoint the unproven young guys.

I've been saying it on this board for years: the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town.
What’s goofier? Wanting a new unproven guy to get a chance to play, or anointing a guy who has proven to be a bad player for 5 years?

Advertisement

Nah.. They all want the freshmen. Which is why they freak and lose their sh*t whenever an upperclassmen gets an injury, and pi$$ and moan whenever we put in a bunch of freshmen and give up points in garbage time.

I have no problem with him being a rotational guy on the line. To the extent McCloud shined at all during his career, its been on blitzes. He won't be Miami's next great DE, but he will accumulate some stats especially on passing downs if he knows he just needs to get into the backfield. He has a high motor and the simplified role suits his abilities instead of him getting frozen thinking, 'Ok, where's this play going?'
Free veteran body with a high motor in a simplified position.

Last edited:
What’s goofier? Wanting a new unproven guy to get a chance to play, or anointing a guy who has proven to be a bad player for 5 years?
I’m for playing the best guy, regardless of age or experience.

I also recognize it’s spring ball, and coaches (not just Manny) are going to praise/start those that put in hard work, to teach the younger guys work ethic.

To me, this doesn’t feel like a situation where a guy get handed a job just bc he’s been in the system for a few years. There’s no proven talent at DE.

Maybe the position change did actually benefit McCloud. If he can give us some quality snaps, great. If there are better players, then bench him. I’m not worried about who is lining up where during the 2nd week of spring practice.

Advertisement
McCloud admits the idea of moving from linebacker to defensive end started as a joke. During preparation for the Cheez-It Bowl matchup against Oklahoma State, McCloud joked that he could help the team in providing some pass rush with the Hurricanes having to play the game without defensive ends Quincy Roche and Jaelan Phillips due to opt outs.

UM’s coaching staff gave McCloud an opportunity to show what he could do in a pass rushing role and he made the most of it.

“We were in a linebacker meeting and we were talking about the package we had going into the bowl game on third down and I was like coach I can do that,” McCloud said. “I was being ****y and making a joke, but coach perked up and then it turned into a serious thing and I took my first reps at defensive end that day.”

McCloud tops the list of players who Miami fans want to cancel.

Below are the Cancelled Canes definitive power rankings - no matter what these kids do between now and September, Miami fans have made up their minds and don't want them to play ahead of younger players that they believe are more talented:

McCloud
Carter
Wiggins
Pope
Ford
Gaynor
Jennings
Hall
Ivey
Scaife
Harris

who am I missing?

McCloud tops the list of players who Miami fans want to cancel.

Below are the Cancelled Canes definitive power rankings - no matter what these kids do between now and September, Miami fans have made up their minds and don't want them to play ahead of younger players that they believe are more talented:

McCloud
Carter
Wiggins
Pope
Ford
Gaynor
Jennings
Hall
Ivey
Scaife
Harris

who am I missing?

Every other backup any time a starter makes an error.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back