Manny interview with Scarlett

nycane

All-ACC
Premium
Coaches dont matter to him he said. tried to tell u guys, he might stay at the U because he knows if Golden botches it next year, he gets 2 more years at least with a new coach.

Scarlett still committed to the Canes, but going into final three visits with an open mind

St. Thomas Aquinas running back Jordan Scarlett can see the recruiting finish line and the truth is he can't wait to get there.

Committed to the Hurricanes since July, the U.S. Army-All American and consensus four-star recruit opened some eyes late last month when he told reporters in San Antonio his commitment to UM was "85 percent."

Wednesday afternoon, I caught up with Scarlett at Aquinas after he posed for his Miami Herald All-Broward County First Team photo and asked him where he stands with UM with only three recruiting weekends left before National Signing Day on Feb. 4.

This weekend, Scarlett said he's going to visit Coral Gables. Then, he'll be off to official visits in Gainesville and Tallahassee the following two weekends.

I asked Scarlett what he's looking for on the visits. His response: "I'm just hoping to see how the lifestyle is at all those schools, and see what's going on."

What made Scarlett go from a 100 percent Canes commitment to 85 percent?

"How their season went," Scarlett said. "It wasn't the best season out of all my options of the schools. And I just feel like I don't want to miss on an opportunity of taking visits and seeing what's out there."

Booker T. Washington star Mark Walton, UM's other elite running back in its 2015 signing class, has developed a friendship with Scarlett this season. Last week, Walton told me the comments made by Duke Johnson's mother shortly after the bowl game (regarding how half the team would transfer out if not for NCAA rules) rattled a few recruits. Did it do the same to Scarlett?

"That didn't really rattle me at all because that's just the parents' point of view," Scarlett said.

Scarlett said he and Walton have talked often throughout the recruiting process. What has Walton's message been to Scarlett?

"We just talk about how it's going to be there, how we're going to be a good 1-2 punch, how things are going to be great," Scarlett said. "Hopefully it all works out."

I asked Scarlett if he worries at all about coaching changes at UM? Does possible coaching changes after the 2015 season (assuming Golden and his staff fail) enter is decision-making process at all?

"No. Not really," he said. "The coaches don't really make a factor in the school for me. I'm going to play football and get my education. The coaches are great people, but I wouldn't make my choice on that."

What did Scarlett like about UM to begin with? "It's a home school, they have a great education, and they run the ball. So it's a great opportunity for me," Scarlett said.

What has been UM's message to Scarlett throughout the recruiting process? "That's it's the place to be," he said. "That I should stay home and bring Miami back."

Is that something that still entices Scarlett? "Yes," he said. "That's why [I'm still committed to them]."

So are these trips basically to see if things might be better at UF and FSU? "Yeah," Scarlett answered.

What does Scarlett like about Florida and Florida State? "Florida is a good school. I feel like it's going to be a great school coming up because it has new coaches. I want to see what the coaches and the school is like," he said. "Florida State has just been a school of mine, part of the recruiting process since the beginning. They're a great school."

Scarlett said former Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon is his new recruiter for the Gators.

"I didn't know him before this," Scarlett said. "He's just saying he's the new guy and he just wants to show me how much of a good opportunity it is up there and to give Florida a chance."

So is Scarlett still "85 percent committed" to Miami? "Yeah," he said.

Scarlett said he's not planning anything special for Signing Day or some big announcement before hand. He said he's going to sign his National Letter of Intent on Signing Day and be done with the whole process.

So whoever gets Scarlett's fax is where he's going, I asked him. "Pretty much," he said.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...e-visits-with-an-open-mind.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
if we fired golden, this isn't an issue. Butch would have closed all these kids. they dont want to go play in Alabama, texas, and these other places.

banana-in-the-tailpipe-o.gif

Advertisement
Patrick Johnson/Peterson was saying the same **** years ago.

6-7 smh . I swear if golden actually does start winning. He would not have a recruiting tactic. How long as a coach u will use. We want u so we cAn be back. But in public he says. Don't look at the past but that's the only way he recruits. This guy is such a liar, I swear

Advertisement
He seems really into the history of stud um backs I hoe
The staff sells him on putting backs in the league.

Gators o line is a train wreck right now, I dunno how 18 year olds think but UF is just asking to get mauled by sec lineman.

I know it's his job, but Radio commenting on how it would be so good for him to be up in trailerville, is wrong. He's been there like two weeks and we all know UM education versus UF*G is not in the Gators favor. Also they are a mess offensively, where we have some continuity there at least. Radio has no clue what he is involved with as a team until Spring ball. But, heck, it's his job.

Also, how many **** years do we have to hear about recruits bringing Miami "back"? Seems like it started with Duke and Tracey four years ago.

Advertisement
The kid just might be pulling our let but he sound honest and sincere in that article and if he goes to another school i wish him the best.

Scarlett said former Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon is his new recruiter for the Gators.

"I didn't know him before this," Scarlett said. "He's just saying he's the new guy and he just wants to show me how much of a good opportunity it is up there and to give Florida a chance."

f-ing Randy Shannon killed this program as a head coach and then recruiting studs to other schools. and he went to UM!! what a disgrace

I know it's his job, but Radio commenting on how it would be so good for him to be up in trailerville, is wrong. He's been there like two weeks and we all know UM education versus UF*G is not in the Gators favor. Also they are a mess offensively, where we have some continuity there at least. Radio has no clue what he is involved with as a team until Spring ball. But, heck, it's his job.

The Gators are essentially equivalent to us as far as education goes. We are what, ranked two spots ahead of them?

Advertisement
"No. Not really," he said. "The coaches don't really make a factor in the school for me."

Then,

"Florida is a good school. I feel like it's going to be a great school coming up because it has new coaches."

OK.

The Gators are essentially equivalent to us as far as education goes. We are what, ranked two spots ahead of them?

You are correct. But at UM you get a private school education where the classes are small and the interaction with the professor is so much better than a large public school.

Advertisement
Back