Manny has reached the Golden fork in the road.

Advertisement
Bama is a bad example. Saban had his own defensive scheme ran for years (and it was dominant). It wasn't until Smart left that things changed up. Manny could easily do the same, because he doesn't have to manage the offense. Only thing is...Manny's scheme has way too many holes in it, so it would be the definition of insanity to keep expecting it to eventually work.
Smart is the one who changed his own defense after Ohio State shredded them in 2014. They went from the Parcells 3-4 to what Smart calls "mint". It's still an odd front defense but it's more versatile and uses hybrid players at LB/S and LB/DE. Jeremy Pruitt and now Pete Golding run similar defenses. My point being is that if Nick Saban can say "OK Kirby, the defense that was taught to me and then passed to you is no longer effective. Feel free to make needed changes" then surely Manny Diaz can allow another coordinator to make his own changes.

Advertisement
Smart is the one who changed his own defense after Ohio State shredded them in 2014. They went from the Parcells 3-4 to what Smart calls "mint". It's still an odd front defense but it's more versatile and uses hybrid players at LB/S and LB/DE. Jeremy Pruitt and now Pete Golding run similar defenses. My point being is that if Nick Saban can say "OK Kirby, the defense that was taught to me and then passed to you is no longer effective. Feel free to make needed changes" then surely Manny Diaz can allow another coordinator to make his own changes.
And this coming from a coach who had already won multiple national titles and coached with the best coach ever

Manny has an easy decision, but so did Al. Fire the DC, most if not all of the defensive staff and you can survive. Keep Baker and the rest and you are done. Let's hope Manny likes his job more than he likes Baker's job
Richt had the same decision to make, just on the other side of the ball. He also chose wrong.

Advertisement
I honestly don't think it is about Baker. Baker does what Manny wants him to do. This is Manny's defense. Can Manny give up his baby and hire a competent DC who has the full autonomy? One who will hire his own assistants? I doubt it.
Can Manny be the CEO who set the tone, be an effective leader and hold everybody accountable? I doubt it.
I could be wrong saying that Manny doesn't have the qualities of a successful HC AT MIAMI but ....................I doubt it.

Richt had the same decision to make, just on the other side of the ball. He also chose wrong.
At least Manny didn’t Provide 1/2 the DNA to the coach he needs to ire, or live with the coach’s mom. Richt created an impossible situation for himself with Jon just As his mentor Bobby Bowden did with Jeff Bowden. At least Manny doesn’t have that issue.

Advertisement
We have a bad taste in our mouth after the Golden debacle, but the situations are very different. First, IIRC, D'O was attached to Golden for years. However, here, Baker had a DC gig before Manny pulled him over. I don't believe that Manny will put friendship over self-preservation. It's not like their roots extend that far back. Second, and more important, Golden had [relative] success at Temple with his system. He believed [wrongly] it could work here. He continued to do round-peg-square-hole even after it was clear it didn't work. Manny, on the other hand, has a clean slate. He doesn't have a tried-and-true method of winning or any history or experience to rely on. I would imagine that he's more open to change as a result. He can't do the Al-Golden-well-it-worked-there-so-it'll-work-here dance.

We will see if Manny wants to keep his job within the next month. Last year, he fired HIS hire (Enos) when it was apparent he wasn't a good fit. It will be harder for Manny to get rid of Baker since he has worked with him since back at Texas and it is his defense. However, I do think Manny will make the necessary changes soon after the bowl game. Otherwise, he will not last next season.

He has a choice that could help improve this team. Golden had this choice and decided to go down the road that had him keeping his best buddy NoD.

Now it's time for Manny to make this choice. Last year he picked the right road and got him Lashlee.

Will Manny pick the right road? If not I see an Al Golden type of season coming.
That lack of performance falls on Diaz.
Simply put, it was: Putrid, Squalid, Rancid. An absolute Malodorus, Fetid and Rotting display.

Advertisement
Fire Baker and hire a proven DC who has full control over the defensive staff and scheme. Or fail.

Except that manny belives that he was the best and smartest DC in the history of the game...so with that ego he may able too.

Defense was on the field quite a bit. Lashlee? He get's off for free.
No one is giving Lashlee a pass, he coached like ****, too; however, Defense was on the field because they couldn’t stay off. At one point, UNC RB’s ran for 128 yards without being touched! I have never seen that before. That’s not on Lashlee..

He has a choice that could help improve this team. Golden had this choice and decided to go down the road that had him keeping his best buddy NoD.

Now it's time for Manny to make this choice. Last year he picked the right road and got him Lashlee.

Will Manny pick the right road? If not I see an Al Golden type of season coming.
We are D’Eriq King and a few tomato cans away from a Goldenesque season. Mandy is a complete 🤡 on the sideline.

Advertisement
Back