Manny has evaluated bye weeks

Sloppy, undisciplined, and unprepared. After every bye week, no matter the opponent, these were apparent.

Bye weeks are supposed to be an advantage. Extra time to prepare yet we come out looking like we spent zero time watching film or practicing.
Well, you can also look at the Harley quote after the game. Is this a team thing? Guys not doing anything extra? I mean think about it like this, I guarantee you Alabama practices on Tuesday, maybe Saban wont be there, but there will be lifting, film etc. I would also be willing to bet 90+% of the team will be at those. Now if the same happens here and what Harley says is true, how many would you suppose show up?

I think the biggest issue in all of this is balancing player responsibility and coach responsibility. I mean, a coach can't just force guys to show up. They need buy in. You can say the coach needs to create buy in, but theres also a players willingness to be coached.

I don't love Mannys response, but theres definitely some responsibility on both sides of this equation.

Advertisement

Great news everyone. Coach Lisp N Slide has evaluated his bye weeks and has come to the conclusion that nothing is wrong in their preparation! Nothing needs changing. Nothing at all. Here's an inside look at what goes on during the bye.

Challenge Pain GIF by Where's My Challenge?'s My Challenge?

Apparently everything has been the players' fault. Wow!
U Mad Reaction GIF

Unnecessary pressure? Lose afte a bye or no bye the backlash will be the same.

I dont necessarily disagree with that but when the media questions you about evaluating your bye week methods based on the track record and you lose again after a bye thats going to give the haters and talking heads an extra clip of ammo.

I think there's a flaw in the premise of this thread because attribution is not that easy. My view is that we can prepare until the cows come home, but if the culture sucks the impact of that preparation will be severely muted. It seems to me that the culture of a team gets disproportionately expressed during a bye, when the team feels more freedom to be themselves. If, due to the culture, being more like themselves leads them put discretionary effort into their development, they will be more likely to come out of the bye week ready to go. If, however, they spend their bye week partying and not staying engaged, well that will show up on the field too.

I don't see the comment that Manny doesn't see a major issue in the preparation as, in and of itself, a problem. I do think that there could/should be more to that line of thinking. He started to discuss the root cause, but didn't seem to get to the underlying driver.

Anyway, GO CANES!

Advertisement
Maybe Manolo brings the pain next week!
Yep and got crucified for questioning Coker as a head coach
I thought that was you. You are one of the old school faithfuls! Well, ignore the mouth breathers on here! Literally hit the “ignore”button.

Maybe Manolo brings the pain next week!

I thought that was you. You are one of the old school faithfuls! Well, ignore the mouth breathers on here! Literally hit the “ignore”button.
I read most of them. Everyone entitled to their opinion. Spent 26 years of my life defending that right. It is social media. Anyone who lets social media upset them should probably stay away

Advertisement
All the characteristics of the last 4 dunces.
In defense of richt he wasn’t a dunce but he did think he’d have an easy time winning at Miami and this job ended up killing him or close to it hence his health failures

what i hate the most about this whole article is this type of bull**** where he blames the kids and deflects the blame. Its nothing him and his ****** staff have done, its the kids. He says that now its fixed, all good.....let them lose 2-3 games to close and he'll be spewed the same ****. Cause hes a leader of nothing....

▪ Diaz suggested to Hurricane Hotline that UM has more team-first players. He noted past teams had some “guys more concerned about themselves.”

And Diaz added this, which I found interesting: “Getting better people, more like-minded people we figured would help our level of success. And during the first half of the season that has proven to be true.”

He's full of ****........

I read most of them. Everyone entitled to their opinion. Spent 26 years of my life defending that right. It is social media. Anyone who lets social media upset them should probably stay away
I am still defending the rights of some of these clowns lol but that comes to an end shortly (27 and change) 😎

Advertisement
Nobody WANTS Manny to fail. We have seen this too many times in our recent history to just ignore the same pattern as previous failed coaches. And just like now there were posters who defended those horrible coaches until the bitter end. The definition of insanity......people just look at the makeup of our defensive coaching staff. If you think that’s what the resumes of position coaches at the University of Miami are supposed to look like, there is no reason for you speak when we’re talking about football on this site. Just read and keep it moving.
+ a million.
This is what I have been trying to say for the longest time but no one is listening. I have not seen even one 4 star defensive recruit become an elite player during Manny's (almost) 4 years of coaching here. Gurvan Hall was a prize recruit Saban was after. What has he done since he got here? The only really productive defensive players on defense so far Bolden and Roche who were developed by different coaches. And people think we are hard on Manny and we want him to fail. BS. We want him to win but also we want to feel good about next year and the year after. He is not giving us the signs.

I think there's a flaw in the premise of this thread because attribution is not that easy. My view is that we can prepare until the cows come home, but if the culture sucks the impact of that preparation will be severely muted. It seems to me that the culture of a team gets disproportionately expressed during a bye, when the team feels more freedom to be themselves. If, due to the culture, being more like themselves leads them put discretionary effort into their development, they will be more likely to come out of the bye week ready to go. If, however, they spend their bye week partying and not staying engaged, well that will show up on the field too.

I don't see the comment that Manny doesn't see a major issue in the preparation as, in and of itself, a problem. I do think that there could/should be more to that line of thinking. He started to discuss the root cause, but didn't seem to get to the underlying driver.

Anyway, GO CANES!
Does the HC have anything to do with establishing the culture of his team, or is he just an innocent bystander?

Does the HC have anything to do with establishing the culture of his team, or is he just an innocent bystander?
Oh, I think he's absolutely responsible for the culture, good or bad. I wasn't defending him. I was giving my view on how the team's "preparation" during the bye week (aka the distinct practice activities) may not be why we come out flat so often but how the real driver could be a poor culture either promoted or allowed by the staff.

I do think cultures take time to change, particularly when going from an unhealthy culture to a healthy one (See Saban/Dabo). Performance on the field will lag that improvement. To be clear, that in no way means that Manny is actually implementing a high performance culture or is the next Saban...I highly doubt that he is, but I would love to be wrong.

Advertisement
That’s the part that dopey fans don’t get. You know like the ones who used to flaunt Coker’s record as proof that the people criticizing him were outrageous miserable assh0les.

Remember when you and I were lamenting the horrifying Buttgers game, and the nerds were all over us? WE got lucky with a NC level team to beat a one win Buttgers team that was getting drummed 60-3 by anyone with a pulse. We were told a win’s a win then too.

I'll never forget that morning, I was in Vegas covering the Barrera-Tapia fight and that game was a 9 am PT start. So I get up, go to the sports book, and I knew a VIP who had a table, so I could watch all the games comfortably with free drinks and food. The Miami-Rutgers game was on the smallest screen in the far corner. I literally was the only guy watching it intently

Well, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, the book is buzzing bout this huge upset taking place, lol. It was surreal, how suddenly Miami-Rutgers was the talk of the town. Eventually they pulled away, but I had a sinking feeling, bottom line, we had no leadership, poor coaching and developing bad habits that would catch up to us

I remember on Canestime/Grassy there was a huge discussion about it( as you noted). I called my friend, and said I had a feeling that this team would blow a game. Teams like the 2002 Canes are either building towards a title, or backsliding, that's the way it works. The truly elite coaches understand this, and that's why they aren't universally loved all the time by the players while they are there.

But the point is, sometimes before you hit the iceberg and begin to sink like the Titanic, you should be able to identify the problems. Mock Saban all you want -- but the process is important.

And yeah, that same friend I called up after that game, he was part of that travel party I went to for that years Fiesta Bowl. So even while that 2002 team was winning, you saw what could be an impending issue.

And yeah, a few years later -- 53-9!!!

Last edited:
I'll never forget that morning, I was in Vegas covering the Barrera-Tapia fight and that game was a 9 am PT start. So I get up, go to the sports book, and I knew a VIP who had a table, so I could watch all the games comfortably with free drinks and food. The Miami-Rutgers game was on the smallest screen in the far corner. I literally was the only guy watching it intently

Well, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, the book is buzzing bout this huge upset taking place, lol. It was surreal, how suddenly Miami-Rutgers was the talk of the town. Eventually they pulled away, but I had a sinking feeling, bottom line, we had no leadership, poor coaching and developing bad habits that would catch up to us

I remember on Canestime/Grassy there was a huge discussion about it( as you noted). I called my friend, and said I had a feeling that this time would blow a game. Teams like the 2002 Canes are either building towards a title, or backsliding, that's the way it works. The truly elite coaches understand this, and that's why they aren't universally loved all the time by the players while they are there.

But the point is, sometimes before you hit the iceberg and begin to sink like the Titanic, you should be able to identify the problems. Mock Saban all you want -- but the process is important.

And yeah, that same friend I called up after that game, he was part of that travel party I went to for that years Fiesta Bowl. So even while that 2002 team was winning, you saw what could be an impending issue.

And yeah, a few years later -- 53-9!!!
Lot of people forget that we were finished in that Buttgers game if we didn't get that pick.

Lot of people forget that we were finished in that Buttgers game if we didn't get that pick.

That reminds me, but didnt Dorsey throw a pick 6 right before half that was called back due to a penalty? All the while McGahee was gashing them and Chud for some reason kept ignoring him for long stretches

So the next play, they give the ball to McGahee who gets the TD

That season, even though they were undefeated, you saw some concerning things...

Advertisement
Back