Manny Diaz

darkhippo7

Band
Banned
you can say what you want about his style and its penchant for giving up big plays, but he gets our guys right at halftime. check out the points given up in first vs. second half since the FSU game

UNC: 20, 0
VT: 16, 21 (ignore)
ND: 20, 10
PITT: 21, 7
UVA: 14, 0

doing this with a young team late in the season, i think he will be a good one for us

Advertisement
Shining star on this coaching staff. Can't wait to see what he does with some real hitters and without bums like Carter.

People keep forgetting that we were missing 4 starters vs Va Tech & we still had a bunch of stops that game...

Problem was, Offense kept going 3 & out, and Kaaya turned the ball over.

The Defense has been beyond good all season, even last week vs Pitt...

They didn't give up 28 points like people will recite on here, they gave up 21, Pitt's 1st TD was a KR, then take away that blown coverage by Redwine & Jenk on that 75yd TD & the Defense only gave up 14.

El Jefe Diaz has been the best Coach we've had all year & he's only going to get better with this incoming class for 2017.

Last edited:
People keep forgetting that we were missing 4 starters vs Va Tech & we still had a bunch of stops that game...

Problem was, Offense kept going 3 & out, and Kaaya turned the ball over.

The Defense has been beyond good all season, even last week vs Pitt...

They didn't give up 28 points like people will recite on here, they gave up 21, Pitt's 1st TD was a KR, then take away that blown coverage by Redwine & Jenk on that 75yd TD & the Defense only gave up 14.

El Jefe Diaz has been the best Coach we've had all year & he's only going together better with this incoming class for 2017.

It wasn't Jenkins it was carter

Advertisement
I like what I've seen from him however we got to get better on 3 down. Uva was 9-17 on 3rd down and what's so frustrating about that is that they were converting 3rd and longs

I like what I've seen from him however we got to get better on 3 down. Uva was 9-17 on 3rd down and what's so frustrating about that is that they were converting 3rd and longs

We're terrible on third and long, that's my only pet peeve. They converted 3rd downs of 8,9,12, and 14 yards today. That's gotta get better but it'll come when we get better cover corners (Redwine and Young were bad today) and get Carter out of there.

We're terrible on third and long, that's my only pet peeve. They converted 3rd downs of 8,9,12, and 14 yards today. That's gotta get better but it'll come when we get better cover corners (Redwine and Young were bad today) and get Carter out of there.[/QUOTE

Third and long percentage went way down after half.

We're terrible on third and long, that's my only pet peeve. They converted 3rd downs of 8,9,12, and 14 yards today. That's gotta get better but it'll come when we get better cover corners (Redwine and Young were bad today) and get Carter out of there.

Spot on.

Advertisement
He's done a fantastic job with a lot of young LBs and a lot of average DBs. He is an absolutely perfect fit here. There was a period in the season where the horrendous offense was putting a whole lot of pressure on him, too, and that's critical when looking at defenses. I hope he continues to grow, improve his sense of timing, and figures out how to make first halves as successful as the halftime adjustments. His DB coaches need to land some big time players at CB/S so we can take the next step.

Love having a legit run defense. I had a feeling we'd be gashed by Conner at Pitt and we held him in check, Mizzell never got anything going, and we gave up 80 yards on the ground. Very impressed.

It'll be rare we see a QB that can just carve us and beat us with no run game.

To see Pitt's offense go out and light up Clemson and compare that with their performance against us is astonishing. He's the epitome of doing more with less, and he's been doing it all season.

Crown Diaz.

Advertisement
Even with attrition and losses this still would be the most talented defense Diaz has had in years and he is exceeding his expectation at a high level.

He's done a fantastic job with a lot of young LBs and a lot of average DBs. He is an absolutely perfect fit here. There was a period in the season where the horrendous offense was putting a whole lot of pressure on him, too, and that's critical when looking at defenses. I hope he continues to grow, improve his sense of timing, and figures out how to make first halves as successful as the halftime adjustments. His DB coaches need to land some big time players at CB/S so we can take the next step.

Hope he keeps adjusting to mixing in the blitz. We're heavily reliant on it this year for a number of reasons, but it's also his bread and butter. Again, I prefer it to the other extreme; just now looking to see how we take the next step on defense.

Like you said, that doesn't happen without better Safeties - especially in Diaz's system. I don't see the rangy Safety next year. Some say Redwine could move there, but I've never seen him play that position and then it's a calculation of what's better:

CB Young
S Johnson
S Finley
CB Redwine

CB Young
S Johnson
S Redwine
CB Jackson/Mayes/Frosh

Should be interesting.

Love having a legit run defense. I had a feeling we'd be gashed by Conner at Pitt and we held him in check, Mizzell never got anything going, and we gave up 80 yards on the ground. Very impressed.

It'll be rare we see a QB that can just carve us and beat us with no run game.

We have some big holes in the pass D, but Diaz has stiffened up our run D bigtime. Used to be dealer's choice against our D where teams could throw or run whenever they wanted.

First thing any good D wants to do is take away the run game. We've made a lot of progress there.

Advertisement
he's doing it with a lot of the same guys that Dorito was attempting to play defense with as well.

The usual **** talkers were down on Diaz when he was announced as DC but I'd argue he has been our best hire, Coach Kool included. The defense will just get better from here.

I like Diaz, my only gripe with him is how un-sound some of his play calls are. Yes, I know, he's gambling for the sake of creating pressure...but we leave too many guys wide open for my liking.

Seems like he calls his play and whatever formation the offense lines-up in he says "fvck it" and stays with his original call regardless of how vulnerable it leaves us.

I love the way we're playing on defense though. The intensity and the way we run to the ball.

Hope he keeps adjusting to mixing in the blitz. We're heavily reliant on it this year for a number of reasons, but it's also his bread and butter. Again, I prefer it to the other extreme; just now looking to see how we take the next step on defense.

Like you said, that doesn't happen without better Safeties - especially in Diaz's system. I don't see the rangy Safety next year. Some say Redwine could move there, but I've never seen him play that position and then it's a calculation of what's better:

CB Young
S Johnson
S Finley
CB Redwine

CB Young
S Johnson
S Redwine
CB Jackson/Mayes/Frosh

Should be interesting.

One of Billy Gibson or Amari Carter blows up like Pinckney did this year, playing next to Jaquan.

Advertisement
Back