Manny Diaz on 560QAM this mornng 7 am

Advertisement
Advertisement
Competition and reps are the focus. Elder leadership has been instrumental in some of the players' development (mentioned Harley providing this for the younger WRs while also stating Harley never had that experienced leader to learn from).

He emphasized the importance of the veterans setting the tone on how to do things (see Harley above) and how that has been missing from the program (too much reliance on young guys to figure it out on their own without veteran presence in the locker room to show them the way the past few years). He expects one of the DEs to have an 8 sack type of year, and sees McCloud as a guy who could fill in at DE like Trent Harris (well, he is hoping McCloud can be as serviceable).

Again, he spent most of the interview stressing the need to increase reps for many of the inexperienced players while also pushing a competitive environment.

I appreciate McCloud's role on this team and I'm glad he's back. But if he's getting reps at end, he better be uber productive to justify reps at a position where there are some solid players and decent depth (Harvey, Cam, Chantz, DeAndre + Q Williams and Elijah that maybe can play that role too).

Advertisement
I don't expect much from McCloud. He couldn't do anything at LB in the weakest group on team. Now all of a sudden he's gonna be Trent Harris at a position that's 10x more stacked. Doubtful.
He doesn’t have to think and diagnose as much at DE. I’d hope a 6th year senior can maintain gap integrity, which in and of itself should help against the run. And he should be plenty strong enough.

comparing him to Trent is a joke, but hopefully he can give us some productive snaps. If nothing else, he brings experience (albeit at LB) to a group that lacks it.

He hit on some of the other things we already knew. Talked about how bad gap integrity was. Talked about how much easier the LB's jobs are if the DT's do their jobs. That is why Stroud is back off field and Simpson is back. Our gap integrity and outside contain was much better under Simpson, which contributed heavily to how good the defense was in 2018, on top of Diaz calling the plays, instead of way too much zone under Baker. That is why Baker was told to find another job as well. Our DE's have always played well no matter who they replace from year to year. Something else he hit on. Our DE's were incredibly undisciplined last year as well, despite being 1st or 2nd round draft picks.

He hit on some of the other things we already knew. Talked about how bad gap integrity was. Talked about how much easier the LB's jobs are if the DT's do their jobs. That is why Stroud is back off field and Simpson is back. Our gap integrity and outside contain was much better under Simpson, which contributed heavily to how good the defense was in 2018, on top of Diaz calling the plays, instead of way too much zone under Baker. That is why Baker was told to find another job as well. Our DE's have always played well no matter who they replace from year to year. Something else he hit on. Our DE's were incredibly undisciplined last year as well, despite being 1st or 2nd round draft picks.
Did he say why he didn't address these problems during the season last year? He lists all these things, which were so glaring and obvious to everyone, like they've only recently been discovered and can now be corrected this coming year. Does he know who the head coach was last year allowing this all to take place game after game?

“Team leaders” It’s great if Harley is developing into one - he comes from a program that fosters that. Leadership is an attribute the Canes needed to put a premium on during the recruiting process - find the guys who are also leading their high school teams and not just pinball machining stats who are all about themselves.

It's hard to put a kid who isn't a natural leader in a major college football setting and hope he develops into one. The great Miami teams had an excess of leaders - the last twenty we’ve been in a drought.

King showed the difference - the natural position of leadership on offense, and until he took the reins, we saw a succession of guys who pouted, didn’t take it serious, ran afoul of team rules and led us only to frustration.

Advertisement
I appreciate McCloud's role on this team and I'm glad he's back. But if he's getting reps at end, he better be uber productive to justify reps at a position where there are some solid players and decent depth (Harvey, Cam, Chantz, DeAndre + Q Williams and Elijah that maybe can play that role too).
McCloud should focus on becoming a Grad Assistant if wants to continue a football career

He doesn’t have to think and diagnose as much at DE. I’d hope a 6th year senior can maintain gap integrity, which in and of itself should help against the run. And he should be plenty strong enough.

comparing him to Trent is a joke, but hopefully he can give us some productive snaps. If nothing else, he brings experience (albeit at LB) to a group that lacks it.
I’ve been pushing for him at de for a few years. He’s always had the frame and length. His physical strengths and attributes are better fit than lb. He doesn’t have the hips or movement in space. He’s just straight line fast. But once he stops or slows down he’s done. Lastly he’s not a super intelligent player , diagnoses slowly.

I could see him being a situational rusher, a pretty good one at that. Not anything more.

We need different makers at dt. That’s the key to defense. Taylor is one and hunte has potential but the upperclassmen are what they are. Jags oe above average.

Advertisement
preach!

But according to some people Stroud was the goods.

I’ve been pushing for him at de for a few years. He’s always had the frame and length. His physical strengths and attributes are better fit than lb. He doesn’t have the hips or movement in space. He’s just straight line fast. But once he stops or slows down he’s done. Lastly he’s not a super intelligent player , diagnoses slowly.

I could see him being a situational rusher, a pretty good one at that. Not anything more.
These are all things I noticed with his HS film. Amazing it took this long to figure out.

Advertisement
Back