Manny Diaz LB Recruiting Observation

amanan28

New_Era
Something I have noticed and probably many of you have too, Coach Diaz has recruited a very specific skill set at linebacker. It seems that he wants to take at least one LB every year with edge rushing tape.

Deandre Wilder, Patrick Joyner, Sam Brooks (recent commit) all have tape as an edge rusher. Same build 6'1 - 6-3, around 200-210 pounds.

Looks like Manny wants to implement an "Over" type look with the Sam LB playing on the line. This is a typical look when teams go trips (2 WR, 1 TE or 3 WR look on the strong side). The over look fits more of a zone scheme, I wonder if we see more of this throughout spring/fall camp.

Advertisement
I hope Sam Brooks doesn’t get the “Deondre Wilder” treatment. If you remember Wilder was the #1 defensive player on our board at one point then when he committed people were not into him.

Sam brooks is a game changer at OLB. If he hadn’t gotten hurt he would be a 5* and everyone would be after him like Matthew Thomas back in the day

Ivins said brooks might play some DE. Said some on the staff compare him to shane ray.

Advertisement
I don’t trust manny and his evals... Shaq, Pink, and McC weren’t his guys. He brought in Jennings, Wilder, Steed, and Joyner. 2 of the those guys were edge rushers. The lack of talent behind the starters is troubling.

We saw this year the zone blitz scheme drawn up, don't think we had the guys at S with enough range but maybe we do now with the new crop. Think he's going for 2 thumpers 1 edge/blitzing guy. His type is obvious the way he's recruiting. I agree with you that he's been suspect in recruiting depth. We'll see as the year goes on but the LB class in SFLA is how the DB class was last year. We can't miss this time around though. Really looks like we're pushing for a big LB/DL class.

I don’t trust manny and his evals... Shaq, Pink, and McC weren’t his guys. He brought in Jennings, Wilder, Steed, and Joyner. 2 of the those guys were edge rushers. The lack of talent behind the starters is troubling.

don't sleep on steed he can play, as for the others not a fan of jennings, wilder had some flashes looked a little too stiff at times, gotta see how joyner looks in the practices

How can you say that?!? They haven't even played rotational snaps in the defense yet...pretty much special teamers and you are calling them busts essentially?!? How about you let them get game snaps first before passing judgement.

Advertisement
I don't see this kid playing DE, and especially not early on. Maybe by the time he's a JR/SR he could have the size. Otherwise I just don't see that happening. I'm all about him rushing the passer on blitzes though, just not playing DE.

Manny wants speed guys, SO he's recruiting the recruit's that fits his style/system!! Diaz is a blitzing type of guy, SO he's finding guys that can get to the QB and make plays once they get there.. This Surge19' class of LBs will be a very studded group, I hope Huff is the next LB to commit...

Advertisement
How can you say that?!? They haven't even played rotational snaps in the defense yet...pretty much special teamers and you are calling them busts essentially?!? How about you let them get game snaps first before passing judgement.

Re read my post. Never insulated that they are busts. Just pointing out we took 2 edge rushers and only 2 true Backers. The depth is not good behind the starters. Fact

Advertisement

The backups aren't his guys either.

This staff recruits very deliberate. They are forecasting what is going to be available in future cycles and sticking to their plans. They like who they like and don’t react to pressure from fans or other sources to deviate. This is a very long term play by Coach Richt. And the next 3 years of results will tell if this plan worked.

As far as Diaz and what he wants. It’s pretty obvious to me he wants speed and violence at the position.

Advertisement
Back