Manny Diaz Football Camp Week 1 Recap

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
The first weekend of the Manny Diaz Football Camps has come to an end. There have been tons of talent down in Coral Gables over the past couple of days, and I am going to break down everything I saw. Here we go.

Gulliver Prep shows out in 7-on-7 play

Led by 2021 athlete Yulkieth Brown, Gulliver went a perfect 7-0 in 7-on-7 play and ended up bringing home the championship on Sunday. 2020 TE Diego LaMonica also showed out Sunday as well as he hauled in multiple touchdowns. I did not get to witness LaMonica’s blocking since this was a 7-on-7 tournament, but as a pass-catching tight end, he checks all of the boxes. As for Yulkieth Brown, he looks like he could be one of the top prospects in the country for 2021. I was already aware how gifted of a running back he is, but his ability as a receiver may be even more impressive. Brown made play after play as a receiver on Sunday, and he did it in every variety possible. Whether it was going up over a defender, winning with his route running ability, catching sideline passes, or simply blowing by the defenders with his speed, we saw it all from Brown on Sunday.

Miami commits live up to the hype

Commits in attendance were DB Jaiden Francois, WR Marcus Fleming, TE Kahlil Brantley, WR Romello Brinson, LB Tyler Johnson, and DE/LB Chamon Metayer.

Jaiden Francois- I cannot recall a single pass being caught on Francois, not that many were thrown his way. When Francois was targeted, he came up with a few pass break ups and even had one interception.

Marcus Fleming- He put his speed on full display on Sunday, and it was fun to watch. Even in touch football, Fleming still puts up big numbers in the yards after catch department. He is that quick and shifty.

Kahlil Brantley- Looks like he’s added some mass since I last saw him at the opening, but this has only improved his game. Brantley is starting to be built more like a tight end while still being able to move like a wide receiver. He was virtually impossible to cover Sunday.

Romello Brinson- This is another 2021 commit who did not disappoint. He may have cost Northwestern a shot at the championship with a dropped two-point conversion, but other than that he had a great day. Brinson had one of the most athletic plays of the weekend with a leaping grab in the corner of the endzone. Unfortunately, he was called out of bounds, but the leaping ability and body control displayed was special.

Tyler Johnson- He may end up playing defensive end at the next level, but that did not stop him from making plays on Sunday at linebacker. Johnson moved very well in space and showed off nice coverage ability.

Chamon Metayer- Metayer is another LB/DE hybrid player, but he also did not let that stop him from making plays in 7-on-7 play. Metayer played both receiver and linebacker for North Miami on Saturday and looked very comfortable at both positions.

2021 is a special collection of talent:

I’ve already mentioned a bunch of 2021 guys above, but there are more guys who deserve recognition.

Terrance Lewis- Lewis is an extremely physical linebacker who plays at his best when he can play downhill and hit people. Touch football puts him out of his comfort zone. With that being said, Lewis played very well on Sunday and was moving around the field very well both in man and zone coverage. He also just looks like a physical freak. One year from now we may be talking about Lewis as the best linebacker in the country.

Kamren Kinchens- This is another member of Northwestern’s defense known for his physicality, but Kinchens showed that he is more than just a hard-hitting safety on Sunday. He showed off his range and ball skills multiple times and looks like one of the most complete safety prospects in South Florida right now.

Tim Burns Jr.- We wrap up with another Miami Northwestern prospect, this time it is corner Tim Burns. Burns is a smaller corner, listed at 5’10’’, but he plays bigger than he is. Burns is physical in man coverage and shows great range when dropping into a zone. Burns also showed off his ball skills and came away with at least one interception.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who was the last 5'10" 5 star? I know Yulk Brown will be the next one. The top of our 2021 board should read... 1. Harris 2. QB 3. Yulk. Reminds me of Tavon Austin but with a different build.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
From his mouth yesterday to 247 reporter when asked about Clemson:

“When I was talking to their coach on the phone, he was telling me that by the time I get there they will have eight linebackers gone, so I could have a good chance at getting early playing time,” Lewis said. “They are the number one school in the country right now, so to have a chance to play early at the number one school is a good thing.”

Advertisement
Back