Manny and the future of the Cane program...also titled "Why getting raped on natl. TV can be a good thing going forward!!"

Manny can win if he recruits well and gets lucky. Otherwise and we already know that Manny is not really the guy, not really a big time head football coach and that can be surmised just by watching him on the sideline.
If we are honest we should admit that Manny is not getting it done and may never get it done.
DISCIPLINE We all see week in and week out the lack of discipline on this team. So if we can see and we are just fans surely the staff can so the question is why does it not change. The answer may be that Manny simply does not know how to discipline this team. The fact that they jump up and down and talk **** throughout the game though we are just above average tells us all we need to know. And the stupid penalties that have become the hall mark of his reign also tells us that Manny has not gotten their attention.
MENTAL UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME We all know that this team does not grasp the mental aspect of the game. We watch week after week teams throw a new wrinkle at us sometimes just reverse field and the Canes are lost. And notice we simply cannot execute a trick play I suspect it takes a bit more mental acuity that our players have. And the mental understanding of the game includes understanding angles and taking the right ones.
Also Manny does not seem to want to accept that the Canes are not ever going to play on an even field so he does not but he needs to raise holy **** about the biased refereeing. And he should make it clear to his team that it is them against the world.
Manny also does not seem to understand the psychology of the game nor the psychology/mentality of his players. I hate to say it but our team leans toward being a bit simple minded. So some took the Duke blowout like it meant something. He should have made them stop talking about Duke and even not allowed interviews this week if you noticed some of the seniors and juniors were talking NFL and so were folks on this site and online and news articles. It seemed to me that folks were reading the clippings and trying to improve their draft stock.
Speaking of, these guys probably thought wearing black uniforms was going to mean something in and of itself.
Oh and he insists on starting upperclassmen that have consistently underperformed, why recruit new people if you are going to continue to play those who continue to perform subpar. McCloud and Carter should not be on the field and Hall should probably not have been either. They have been underperforming all year and sometime not showing up.
And Manny's assistants don't seem to be dialed in as far as game plan and in game adjustments.
How the **** was anybody surprised North Carolina could run the ball? And why could Baker not get his d ends to even attempt to contain.
And why in the **** would Baker run the ball on the 3rd down and 3 on the first drive and the third drive. Didn't the coach inform him that they were going to have to score against Carolina. And the crazy thing is with just a little bit of innovation this would at least have been a shootout Carolina couldn't stop the U and King unless you decide to run "hope we make the first down runs" on third and more than two.
Anybody watching knew adjustments had to be made but the Canes coaches made none.

So we know Manny is not the man, we are just left with the hope that we get lucky and we recruit players who are talented, fast, (or at least quick) disciplined, have heart, understand the mental aspect of the game and can execute the fundamentals of blocking, catching and tackling. And that he fires Baker and Lashlee actually schemes to make plays work and doesn't pretend his o-line can do what it cant and in that vein hope the o-line actually develops
And now that I have read your whole post, I agree With a lot of your points.

Advertisement
Well, this one hurt more than the two shellackings by Clemson, only because we lost by giving them the win. Manny might be, in your words, "Manny is smart. Manny is analytical." Yes my tailor has an assistant who is smart at picking fabric, matching buttons, thread and style. He's analytical, and usually comes up with a homerun. But one thing he doesn't know, is to put all that together to make my shirt. Its the tailor who knows how to do that, and he's darn good at it. He brings it home. Manny's smarts fit the former, not the latter. That's why he was so good under Richt. I think Manny's been given plenty of rope. But instead of using it to tighten the ship, he's using it to hang himself. This game was proof of that. How else do you go from winning eternity - 0, to losing by eternity - 18, the following week? Can't blame the rona this week, players came back healthy. What did this staff and team do this past week to prepare for this game, the peak game of the season to put us in control of many things going into the bowl games. Were they patting themselves on the back? Were the re-living the Duke game? Or, did they just buy into the hype that they are top 10 and deserve to be better because they are the Miami Hurricanes, and can slide into a significant bowl game by sheer past accolades?

This one's on Manny. Just like Herbs gave props to Tarheels' playing level to the old fart on the other side, this one's on Manny. And yes, I'm calling Mack Brown an old fart. That is because on our sideline? We smacked of brown, and the stench was obvious, coming through the TV into my living room. That makes the old fart a much more desirable coach. Wish he was on our sidrole...icause Manny lets you down repeatedly, just when you start believing in him. It has become the way it is, too often.
I need a pic of the pimp suit....

Most of Us...?

I think anyone who understands that game knew we were nothing more than a paper tiger. This day was coming and all the signs were there. Only the naive bought into this season, many others knew this season was nothing more than an illusion.
I wouldn't go that far but we were definitely not running with the big dogs. Last year was a debacle. The turnaround wasn't going to happen in a year. To their credit they at least won the games they were supposed to...

The obvious: We didn't just lose, UNC stole our manhood in front of a national audience. We were out-coached, out-played, out-atheleted, out-muscled, out-toughed, out-(fill in the blank), etc. etc. etc.

So, where do we go from here, what does this mean for Manny and what does this mean for the Miami Hurricane football program going forward?

Where do we go from here and what does this mean for Manny?
My guess is that most of us, save for a few dark souls on CIS, believed that really depressing days like this were in our rearview mirror. I think most of us believed that even though we were not elite yet, we were certainly on our way to regaining glory. We're still on our way in that direction, but it is not certain and Manny is the only one who can get us there.

When last season ended, I'd all but given up on Manny. When it appeared that the school was not firing him, AND that they were not basically putting Highsmith in charge of the program (in other words, the program would remain in Manny's hands), I basically assumed that he would crap the bed this season and we would do something like Hire Christabol or someone else who was hot at the time.

Manny, once again, owned the offseason, and made me start believing again. Bringing in Roche and King were obviously ENORMOUS! Also, bringing in Lashlee and a competent Offensive staff around him, promising as well. I said during the offseason that we were not yet certain Manny could not become the Cuban Dabo and grow into the position.

We rolled out an 8-1 record, including our first road shut out of an ACC opponent, and we were riding high.

We knew we had weaknesses in the team, but those seemed to be getting addressed with recruiting and some player development.

However, some things became obvious for those of us who obsess over the Canes and have been watching football for decades. The offense still needs to get better. Lashlee still needs to utilize his players better and Rhett still is not a master of gameday play calling. Can he get there...? Sure, why not? He seems smart. As long as he realizes he needs to get there, then let's hope he does keep improving. Rhett is not Norm Chow circa 2003/4.

Manny has addressed the O. The OL, despite tonight's performance, continues to get better and I believe we have a good coach over the hogs. The WR's have been a problem, with a few notable exceptions, a problem since 2003. I believe that Likens, as long as we can keep him, is the answer for the WR room.

The TE's and RB's seem fine, so let's move on.

Lashlee - Let me be clear on Rhett. I like him, he's been an unquestioned improvement to our team. He is a leader. His O approach is far superior to what we'd been doing for the previous decade and a half+. I think it would behoove Rhett to stay for at least one more year, for him and us. Rhett needs to do a deep dive during the offseason on every single play he's called this season. Every situation. Every player. Every opponent.

Simply put, Rhett is a huge plus for us, but he NEEDS to improve this offseason. There are many reasons why, none the least of which is his in-game play calling, but also examining his players strength and weaknesses, physical attributes, etc., and put our guys into the best positions to succeed. Just one quick example out of many is the fact that he continues to have our 5'9" QB do straight 7 step drops and sit back there, waiting for guys to get open. We have a short, mobile QB who, when playing against continual pressure, should be rolling the pocket to get away from pressure and better utilize his running ability.

Assuming Rhett and his entire staff comes back and King comes back, we can win the ACC next year. No I don't need a CAT SCAN. I mean it. If the things I've mentioned above happen.

The Defense, however...

During this offseason, when Manny was brought back AND was allowed to fully direct and command the direction of the football team (instead of Highsmith), I said the only way he survives the 2020 season is if he is as savage with the O staffers as he was when he dumped a lot of people from Richt's staff after taking over the program.

Manny is in a similar predicament going forward this offseason. Even though we had only lost to the #1 team, at full strength, at their home field, many of us have been calling for Blake's dismissal for most of this regular season. All it takes is scrutinizing what's happening in the actual field of play, see our athleticism, and compare that to successful teams, in order to see that our D underperforms in most of our games.

Then, there was tonight, when we played Mahomes and the Chiefs...I mean, UNC. We gave up over 500 yards rushing and approx. 800 in overall O. Not only is this unacceptable, this should be grounds for firing. Just like Manny was fired after BYU raped his Texas D under Brown.

Blake doesn't have the temperament to be the Cane DC, and he sure as **** doesn't have the schemes or adjustments for it.

I know Manny likes and has a personal relationship with Blake. Truth is, he in fact DID give Blake every opportunity to succeed. Gave him fast, twitchy athletes. Gave him an aggressive scheme to take over. Gave him tons of autonomy, too much leash actually, to make it his own. It's simply not a fit for him and not working out.

Now, I know Manny likes to play it classy and PC (his political upbringing) and I get not wanting to come off like a jerk, but the truth of the matter is, Manny really should relieve Blake of all DC duties as of noon tomorrow and fully take over as DC until the bowl game.

Whether Manny fires Blake before the bowl game or not, Diaz cannot just throw away our bowl game. He NEEDS to take over that side of the ball, PERIOD. ****, even Holtz took over ND's D when he was preparing for the Gaytors during the 92' (I believe that was the year) Sugar Bowl and it was enough for them to limit Spurrier and allow the Bus to take over the 2nd half of that game.

Regardless of Manny taking over the D, and regardless of when he chooses to fire Blake, if Manny is serious about keeping his job and becoming a championship coach, he literally has no choice in the matter. Allow me to reference Alfonzo Golden...

I know many here will vehemently disagree with me on this point, but... to this day, I'm still not fully convinced that Al couldn't have grown into our HC position, if he had the stones to fire his BFF and hire a high-level, savage DC. Manny faces the same choice and just like Golden, what he chooses to do with that DC position, WILL heavily affect his success and tenure as our HC.

Sooner the better....

A COMPLETE OVERHAUL OF THE D STAFF IS IN ORDER

DL
- Stroud is a very good recruiter, but his unit doesn't play with the kinds of moves, strategy and overall effectiveness as his 2 predecessors. If we are winning games, we will be able to make up for any lack of recruiting that comes from getting rid of Stroud. Serious question - can we not go after PITT's DL coach and increase his pay and poach him?

LB - Patke and whoever else is responsible for this monstrosity, we need someone good. See if Barrow would come back. Anyone with a pulse.

CB - Until this season, I have been a Rumph apologist, with decent reasons (or so I thought). However, the lack of recruiting and player development has made it clear that he has to go. He's always sucked at recruiting, but I thought he was coaching his tail off to make up for those misses. His luck has run out. You don't get to suck at both recruiting AND player development.

S - Banda can possibly stay, but honestly, if we bring in a good DC, then I'm cool if we have a 100% scrubbing of the D staff.

IN CONCLUSION, I'm not convinced Manny's not the guy. I know many are, and tonight hurts, but I'm not there yet. He needed to bring major changes last offseason, he did and we have our best record in 4 seasons. If we win our bowl game, I would argue, this will be our best season since 2003.

But, Manny has to be as savage and ruthless, and even moreso, this offseason. He needs to give the entire D staff an *****. He needs to sit down with each of our playmakers and convince as many as possible to come back next year. Most of all King!!!

He needs to sit with Rhett and talk about improvements. If he has two NFL TE's, then be more intentional about using them during most, or at least a whole lot, of plays. In those plays, these NFL TE's need to get the ball MORE than the WR's. If King comes back, he needs to roll him out more and King needs to do simple dump-offs on 3rd and shorts and 4th and shorts.

Manny is smart. Manny is analytical. To this point, Manny has shown that he's willing to be savage and do what is necessary. If he does these things, he will Dabo us into championship contention. I believe that. But first, he needs to prove that he's serious about winning by firing Blake. It has to happen.

To quote UF's former AD, when he was firing Zook and hiring Urban, "What needs to be done eventually, should be done immediately."

Make it so, Manny. Prove them wrong.

The last time we were a 2 loss team in a bowl game Manny was DC. And Wisconsin bludgeoned him. Baker is just running Diaz’ gimmick. He has been getting his *** raped by good offenses for years.

I wouldn't go that far but we were definitely not running with the big dogs. Last year was a debacle. The turnaround wasn't going to happen in a year. To their credit they at least won the games they were supposed to...
I have no faith in him...never did, but I was honestly ready to give Manny credit for beating the teams he was supposed to this year...but then the real Manny showed up and this happen.

He has to be able to beat the ACC teams (Always) before he can even hope to get better players and play with the big boys. He can't win some by one point and get blown out by others. This is who he is and nothing is getting better. Next year he will lose more games.

Advertisement
I have no faith in him...never did, but I was honestly ready to give Manny credit for beating the teams he was supposed to this year...but then the real Manny showed up and this happen.

He has to be able to beat the ACC teams (Always) before he can even hope to get better players and play with the big boys. He can't win some by one point and get blown out by others. This is who he is and nothing is getting better. Next year he will lose more games.
You have a right to your opinion. The 2020 class stuck with us and they've made an impact. No telling what can happen. Im not defending anyone just stating facts. You can be upset about last night but it doesn't erase the fact we improved in the beating the people we have to beat category...

Advertisement
Back