Manny and the future of the Cane program...also titled "Why getting raped on natl. TV can be a good thing going forward!!"

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
The obvious: We didn't just lose, UNC stole our manhood in front of a national audience. We were out-coached, out-played, out-atheleted, out-muscled, out-toughed, out-(fill in the blank), etc. etc. etc.

So, where do we go from here, what does this mean for Manny and what does this mean for the Miami Hurricane football program going forward?

Where do we go from here and what does this mean for Manny?
My guess is that most of us, save for a few dark souls on CIS, believed that really depressing days like this were in our rearview mirror. I think most of us believed that even though we were not elite yet, we were certainly on our way to regaining glory. We're still on our way in that direction, but it is not certain and Manny is the only one who can get us there.

When last season ended, I'd all but given up on Manny. When it appeared that the school was not firing him, AND that they were not basically putting Highsmith in charge of the program (in other words, the program would remain in Manny's hands), I basically assumed that he would crap the bed this season and we would do something like Hire Christabol or someone else who was hot at the time.

Manny, once again, owned the offseason, and made me start believing again. Bringing in Roche and King were obviously ENORMOUS! Also, bringing in Lashlee and a competent Offensive staff around him, promising as well. I said during the offseason that we were not yet certain Manny could not become the Cuban Dabo and grow into the position.

We rolled out an 8-1 record, including our first road shut out of an ACC opponent, and we were riding high.

We knew we had weaknesses in the team, but those seemed to be getting addressed with recruiting and some player development.

However, some things became obvious for those of us who obsess over the Canes and have been watching football for decades. The offense still needs to get better. Lashlee still needs to utilize his players better and Rhett still is not a master of gameday play calling. Can he get there...? Sure, why not? He seems smart. As long as he realizes he needs to get there, then let's hope he does keep improving. Rhett is not Norm Chow circa 2003/4.

Manny has addressed the O. The OL, despite tonight's performance, continues to get better and I believe we have a good coach over the hogs. The WR's have been a problem, with a few notable exceptions, a problem since 2003. I believe that Likens, as long as we can keep him, is the answer for the WR room.

The TE's and RB's seem fine, so let's move on.

Lashlee - Let me be clear on Rhett. I like him, he's been an unquestioned improvement to our team. He is a leader. His O approach is far superior to what we'd been doing for the previous decade and a half+. I think it would behoove Rhett to stay for at least one more year, for him and us. Rhett needs to do a deep dive during the offseason on every single play he's called this season. Every situation. Every player. Every opponent.

Simply put, Rhett is a huge plus for us, but he NEEDS to improve this offseason. There are many reasons why, none the least of which is his in-game play calling, but also examining his players strength and weaknesses, physical attributes, etc., and put our guys into the best positions to succeed. Just one quick example out of many is the fact that he continues to have our 5'9" QB do straight 7 step drops and sit back there, waiting for guys to get open. We have a short, mobile QB who, when playing against continual pressure, should be rolling the pocket to get away from pressure and better utilize his running ability.

Assuming Rhett and his entire staff comes back and King comes back, we can win the ACC next year. No I don't need a CAT SCAN. I mean it. If the things I've mentioned above happen.

The Defense, however...

During this offseason, when Manny was brought back AND was allowed to fully direct and command the direction of the football team (instead of Highsmith), I said the only way he survives the 2020 season is if he is as savage with the O staffers as he was when he dumped a lot of people from Richt's staff after taking over the program.

Manny is in a similar predicament going forward this offseason. Even though we had only lost to the #1 team, at full strength, at their home field, many of us have been calling for Blake's dismissal for most of this regular season. All it takes is scrutinizing what's happening in the actual field of play, see our athleticism, and compare that to successful teams, in order to see that our D underperforms in most of our games.

Then, there was tonight, when we played Mahomes and the Chiefs...I mean, UNC. We gave up over 500 yards rushing and approx. 800 in overall O. Not only is this unacceptable, this should be grounds for firing. Just like Manny was fired after BYU raped his Texas D under Brown.

Blake doesn't have the temperament to be the Cane DC, and he sure as **** doesn't have the schemes or adjustments for it.

I know Manny likes and has a personal relationship with Blake. Truth is, he in fact DID give Blake every opportunity to succeed. Gave him fast, twitchy athletes. Gave him an aggressive scheme to take over. Gave him tons of autonomy, too much leash actually, to make it his own. It's simply not a fit for him and not working out.

Now, I know Manny likes to play it classy and PC (his political upbringing) and I get not wanting to come off like a jerk, but the truth of the matter is, Manny really should relieve Blake of all DC duties as of noon tomorrow and fully take over as DC until the bowl game.

Whether Manny fires Blake before the bowl game or not, Diaz cannot just throw away our bowl game. He NEEDS to take over that side of the ball, PERIOD. ****, even Holtz took over ND's D when he was preparing for the Gaytors during the 92' (I believe that was the year) Sugar Bowl and it was enough for them to limit Spurrier and allow the Bus to take over the 2nd half of that game.

Regardless of Manny taking over the D, and regardless of when he chooses to fire Blake, if Manny is serious about keeping his job and becoming a championship coach, he literally has no choice in the matter. Allow me to reference Alfonzo Golden...

I know many here will vehemently disagree with me on this point, but... to this day, I'm still not fully convinced that Al couldn't have grown into our HC position, if he had the stones to fire his BFF and hire a high-level, savage DC. Manny faces the same choice and just like Golden, what he chooses to do with that DC position, WILL heavily affect his success and tenure as our HC.

Sooner the better....

A COMPLETE OVERHAUL OF THE D STAFF IS IN ORDER

DL
- Stroud is a very good recruiter, but his unit doesn't play with the kinds of moves, strategy and overall effectiveness as his 2 predecessors. If we are winning games, we will be able to make up for any lack of recruiting that comes from getting rid of Stroud. Serious question - can we not go after PITT's DL coach and increase his pay and poach him?

LB - Patke and whoever else is responsible for this monstrosity, we need someone good. See if Barrow would come back. Anyone with a pulse.

CB - Until this season, I have been a Rumph apologist, with decent reasons (or so I thought). However, the lack of recruiting and player development has made it clear that he has to go. He's always sucked at recruiting, but I thought he was coaching his tail off to make up for those misses. His luck has run out. You don't get to suck at both recruiting AND player development.

S - Banda can possibly stay, but honestly, if we bring in a good DC, then I'm cool if we have a 100% scrubbing of the D staff.

IN CONCLUSION, I'm not convinced Manny's not the guy. I know many are, and tonight hurts, but I'm not there yet. He needed to bring major changes last offseason, he did and we have our best record in 4 seasons. If we win our bowl game, I would argue, this will be our best season since 2003.

But, Manny has to be as savage and ruthless, and even moreso, this offseason. He needs to give the entire D staff an *****. He needs to sit down with each of our playmakers and convince as many as possible to come back next year. Most of all King!!!

He needs to sit with Rhett and talk about improvements. If he has two NFL TE's, then be more intentional about using them during most, or at least a whole lot, of plays. In those plays, these NFL TE's need to get the ball MORE than the WR's. If King comes back, he needs to roll him out more and King needs to do simple dump-offs on 3rd and shorts and 4th and shorts.

Manny is smart. Manny is analytical. To this point, Manny has shown that he's willing to be savage and do what is necessary. If he does these things, he will Dabo us into championship contention. I believe that. But first, he needs to prove that he's serious about winning by firing Blake. It has to happen.

To quote UF's former AD, when he was firing Zook and hiring Urban, "What needs to be done eventually, should be done immediately."

Make it so, Manny. Prove them wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Snoop Dogg Lol GIF

Advertisement
Why a pass for Banda? Our safety play has been dry poor despite having a lot of “talent” there
Look, it's relative to the other DB's. I'm all for hitting the reset button on our D coaching staff.

When you give up historic yards and over 60 points at home against a solid opponent, but someone you were supposed to not get blown out by, but actually defeat, and this being AFTER a season of underperformance, then yeah, you all need to go! Fresh blood, please!

Bring in PITT's D staff!!

Advertisement
Manny was Overrated as a DC and we will never win anything significant as long as he has a mailbox in south florida. I've seen way to much of smoke and mirrors and gimmicky BS from this clown, get him the fvvk outta my face.

I scrolled... and I scrolled... and I scrolled... and it was like a lot of words... and paragraphs... and headings... and shît.

Can someone who is less ADHD than me please tell me if it was good reading and what the moral of the story was?
Sure. Moral of the story is - if Manny wants to be a championship HC, he will have to do to his buddies on the D, what he did to Mark's buddies on the O when he took over. Otherwise, he's gonna go the way of Al Golden.

Sure. Moral of the story is - if Manny wants to be a championship HC, he will have to do to his buddies on the D, what he did to Mark's buddies on the O when he took over. Otherwise, he's gonna go the way of Al Golden.

like mob life, you do what has to be done for the good of the organization...relationships be damned.

Advertisement
That’s a fact. Been saying that for a while. And I was disappointed that he didn’t do it last year but people said he could only do so much after the first season and he changed the offense.

It’s more than this though as I’ve learned. It’s his system and if he keeps it and control of it then the firings won’t have the effect we want. We need an independent, established DC who comes in and runs his own system.

I scrolled... and I scrolled... and I scrolled... and it was like a lot of words... and paragraphs... and headings... and shît.

Can someone who is less ADHD than me please tell me if it was good reading and what the moral of the story was?

My head started spinning, thought I saw a mouse then the theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was used on the Family Guy and poof all gone.

Go Canes!

The obvious: We didn't just lose, UNC stole our manhood in front of a national audience. We were out-coached, out-played, out-atheleted, out-muscled, out-toughed, out-(fill in the blank), etc. etc. etc.

So, where do we go from here, what does this mean for Manny and what does this mean for the Miami Hurricane football program going forward?

My guess is that most of us, save for a few dark souls on CIS, believed that really depressing days like this were in our rearview mirror. I think most of us believed that even though we were not elite yet, we were certainly on our way to regaining glory. We're still on our way in that direction, but it is not certain and Manny is the only one who can get us there.

When last season ended, I'd all but given up on Manny. When it appeared that the school was not firing him, AND that they were not basically putting Highsmith in charge of the program (in other words, the program would remain in Manny's hands), I basically assumed that he would crap the bed this season and we would do something like Hire Christabol or someone else who was hot at the time.

Manny, once again, owned the offseason, and made me start believing again. Bringing in Roche and King were obviously ENORMOUS! Also, bringing in Lashlee and a competent Offensive staff around him, promising as well. I said during the offseason that we were not yet certain Manny could not become the Cuban Dabo and grow into the position.

We rolled out an 8-1 record, including our first road shut out of an ACC opponent, and we were riding high.

We knew we had weaknesses in the team, but those seemed to be getting addressed with recruiting and some player development.

However, some things became obvious for those of us who obsess over the Canes and have been watching football for decades. The offense still needs to get better. Lashlee still needs to utilize his players better and Rhett still is not a master of gameday play calling. Can he get there...? Sure, why not? He seems smart. As long as he realizes he needs to get there, then let's hope he does keep improving. Rhett is not Norm Chow circa 2003/4.

Manny has addressed the O. The OL, despite tonight's performance, continues to get better and I believe we have a good coach over the hogs. The WR's have been a problem, with a few notable exceptions, a problem since 2003. I believe that Likens, as long as we can keep him, is the answer for the WR room.

Lashlee - Let me be clear on Rhett. I like him, he's been an unquestioned improvement to our team. He is a leader. His O approach is far superior to what we'd been doing for the previous decade and a half+. I think it would behoove Rhett to stay for at least one more year, for him and us. Rhett needs to do a deep dive during the offseason on every single play he's called this season. Every situation. Every player. Every opponent.

Simply put, Rhett is a huge plus for us, but he NEEDS to improve this offseason. There are many reasons why, none the least of which is his in-game play calling, but also examining his players strength and weaknesses, physical attributes, etc., and put our guys into the best positions to succeed. Just one quick example out of many is the fact that he continues to have our 5'9" QB do straight 7 step drops and sit back there, waiting for guys to get open. We have a short, mobile QB who, when playing against continual pressure, should be rolling the pocket to get away from pressure and better utilize his running ability.

Assuming Rhett and his entire staff comes back and King comes back, we can win the ACC next year. No I don't need a CAT SCAN. I mean it. If the things I've mentioned above happen.

The Defense, however...

During this offseason, when Manny was brought back AND was allowed to fully direct and command the direction of the football team (instead of Highsmith), I said the only way he survives the 2020 season is if he is as savage with the O staffers as he was when he dumped a lot of people from Richt's staff after taking over the program.

Manny is in a similar predicament going forward this offseason. Even though we had only lost to the #1 team, at full strength, at their home field, many of us have been calling for Blake's dismissal for most of this regular season. All it takes is scrutinizing what's happening in the actual field of play, see our athleticism, and compare that to successful teams, in order to see that our D underperforms in most of our games.

Then, there was tonight, when we played Mahomes and the Chiefs...I mean, UNC. We gave up over 500 yards rushing and approx. 800 in overall O. Not only is this unacceptable, this should be grounds for firing. Just like Manny was fired after BYU raped his Texas D under Brown.

Blake doesn't have the temperament to be the Cane DC, and he sure as **** doesn't have the schemes or adjustments for it.

I know Manny likes and has a personal relationship with Blake. Truth is, he in fact DID give Blake every opportunity to succeed. Gave him fast, twitchy athletes. Gave him an aggressive scheme to take over. Gave him tons of autonomy, too much leash actually, to make it his own. It's simply not a fit for him and not working out.

Now, I know Manny likes to play it classy and PC (his political upbringing) and I get not wanting to come off like a jerk, but the truth of the matter is, Manny really should relieve Blake of all DC duties as of noon tomorrow and fully take over as DC until the bowl game.

Whether Manny fires Blake before the bowl game or not, Diaz cannot just throw away our bowl game. He NEEDS to take over that side of the ball, PERIOD. ****, even Holtz took over ND's D when he was preparing for the Gaytors during the 92' (I believe that was the year) Sugar Bowl and it was enough for them to limit Spurrier and allow the Bus to take over the 2nd half of that game.

Regardless of Manny taking over the D, and regardless of when he chooses to fire Blake, if Manny is serious about keeping his job and becoming a championship coach, he literally has no choice in the matter. Allow me to reference Alfonzo Golden...

I know many here will vehemently disagree with me on this point, but... to this day, I'm still not fully convinced that Al couldn't have grown into our HC position, if he had the stones to fire his BFF and hire a high-level, savage DC. Manny faces the same choice and just like Golden, what he chooses to do with that DC position, WILL heavily affect his success and tenure as our HC.

Sooner the better....

DL
- Stroud is a very good recruiter, but his unit doesn't play with the kinds of moves, strategy and overall effectiveness as his 2 predecessors. If we are winning games, we will be able to make up for any lack of recruiting that comes from getting rid of Stroud. Serious question - can we not go after PITT's DL coach and increase his pay and poach him?

LB - Patke and whoever else is responsible for this monstrosity, we need someone good. See if Barrow would come back. Anyone with a pulse.

CB - Until this season, I have been a Rumph apologist, with decent reasons (or so I thought). However, the lack of recruiting and player development has made it clear that he has to go. He's always sucked at recruiting, but I thought he was coaching his tail off to make up for those misses. His luck has run out. You don't get to suck at both recruiting AND player development.

S - Banda can possibly stay, but honestly, if we bring in a good DC, then I'm cool if we have a 100% scrubbing of the D staff.

IN CONCLUSION, I'm not convinced Manny's not the guy. I know many are, and tonight hurts, but I'm not there yet. He needed to bring major changes last offseason, he did and we have our best record in 4 seasons. If we win our bowl game, I would argue, this will be our best season since 2003.

But, Manny has to be as savage and ruthless, and even moreso, this offseason. He needs to give the entire D staff an *****. He needs to sit down with each of our playmakers and convince as many as possible to come back next year. Most of all King!!!

He needs to sit with Rhett and talk about improvements. If he has two NFL TE's, then be more intentional about using them during most, or at least a whole lot, of plays. In those plays, these NFL TE's need to get the ball MORE than the WR's. If King comes back, he needs to roll him out more and King needs to do simple dump-offs on 3rd and shorts and 4th and shorts.

Manny is smart. Manny is analytical. To this point, Manny has shown that he's willing to be savage and do what is necessary. If he does these things, he will Dabo us into championship contention. I believe that. But first, he needs to prove that he's serious about winning by firing Blake. It has to happen.

To quote UF's former AD, when he was firing Zook and hiring Urban, "What needs to be done eventually, should be done immediately."

Great post, agree

Advertisement
Maybe Reed can talk some sense into Manny. Dude needs to cut all ties with every coach on defense. Bring in a coordinator and stay out his way. They gave him a mil to hire Lashlee I’m sure with a good mouthpiece he can get another mil for a defensive coordinator. It’s not rocket science his defense is past it’s prime. Let someone else take the reigns and maybe can learn a thing or two from them

The Defense, however...

Sooner the better....

DL

To quote UF's former AD, when he was firing Zook and hiring Urban, "What needs to be done eventually, should be done immediately." I thought this pretty well summed up this season and especially todays fiasco at the Hardrock where is sat with my head in my hands embarrassed at our putrid defense. Baker needs to be fired Monday morning, Manny can run the defense for now. The entire Defensive staff needs to go as soon as we finish what ever toilet bowl game we get.

Advertisement
Back