Off-Topic Mango's

Advertisement
"UH OH"......
20240504_093405.jpg

Growing up in Miramar there were mango trees everywhere. And I hated the flavor. It's like one of those wish paradoxes, plenty of something one doesn't like

Advertisement
Used to run a mango program for a specialty importer in Miami ... had programs in 4 regions of Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil and the Dominican Republic. Visited every grower twice a year, and we shipped about 40 ocean containers a week virtually year around, from the farming regions to La, Miami, and Rotterdam for European and UK distribution.

Best mango I recall ever eating was in Chiapas, Mexico (just outside of Tapachula), when the grower and I had a late lunch. He served a salad made with very ripe ATAULFO mangos, cucumber, and vinaigrette, accompanied by ice cold Modelo, and fried chicken. The sweetness of those Ataulfo's, combined with the thin sliced cucumber and the vinaigrette ... was sensational. Was an interesting time as I also "had" to visit our customers in the UK, Belgium, Holland, and Germany, along with LA, twice a year as well. Spent 65% of my time traveling in those days. OOPs ... forgot PARIS .. had a major customer on the Rungis market outside of Paris. HUGE market for fresh produce, seafood, and meat, imported from all over the world. They had a 5 star restaurant ON the produce market and I would have "lunch" with one special customer there on every trip. Spectacular ... always began the meal with champagne and cheeses and then oysters ... salad, soup, courses, then either fish, meat or fowl. Great memories.

Last edited:
Used to run a mango program for a specialty importer in Miami ... had programs in 4 regions of Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil and the Dominican Republic. Visited every grower twice a year, and we shipped about 40 ocean containers a week virtually year around, from the farming regions to La, Miami, and Rotterdam for European and UK distribution.

Best mango I recall ever eating was in Chiapas, Mexico (just outside of Tapachula), when the grower and I had a late lunch. He served a salad made with very ripe ATAULFO mangos, cucumber, and vinaigrette, accompanied by ice cold Modelo, and fried chicken. The sweetness of those Ataulfo's, combined with the thin sliced cucumber and the vinaigrette ... was sensational. Was an interesting time as I also "had" to visit our customers in the UK, Belgium, Holland, and Germany, along with LA, twice a year as well. Spent 65% of my time traveling in those days. OOPs ... forgot PARIS .. had a major customer on the Rungis market outside of Paris. HUGE market for fresh produce, seafood, and meat, imported from all over the world. They had a 5 star restaurant ON the produce market and I would have "lunch" with one special customer there on every trip. Spectacular ... always began the meal with champagne and cheeses and then oysters ... salad, soup, courses, then either fish, meat or fowl. Great memories.
i spent some time in Chiapas a long time ago and had a mango there named Diana, young indigenous girl with bedroom eyes. sweet and juicy.

/have never forgotten

my in-laws have a huge Valencia Pride mango tree. best mangoes i've had in miami. sadly, they reported yesterday that the tree has few mangoes, less than 50.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back