Mamadi Diakite returns to UVA.

Advertisement
I disagree. If he continues the growth he showed in the second half of last year and in the NCAAT, could be a late lottery pick even. Again, that's an "if."

He'll get a lot more shots this coming season with Hunter, Guy, Jerome, gone. He had two 14 point games in the NCAAT, against Purdue and Oklahoma, plus 17 against Gardner-Webb in the South Region opener. And, again, that's with the three other stars I mentioned getting all the shots.

Advertisement
He'll get a lot more shots this coming season with Hunter, Guy, Jerome, gone. He had two 14 point games in the NCAAT, against Purdue and Oklahoma, plus 17 against Gardner-Webb in the South Region opener. And, again, that's with the three other stars I mentioned getting all the shots.
He will have a nice career as a defender and rebounder, ala Rodman type. On that team if you could score, you would get the ball. He was key to their success obviously but I don't see him as a lottery pick. Not even close. They played great "team" d and he reaped the most from it. His inefficiencies on offense were masked by those other guys too. We did it in AAU ball all the time.

We'll see. As to what his draft stock turns out to be, that'll depend on how deep the 2020 draft is. This last draft was very top-heavy, then fell off quickly. My last comment on Diakite: wish we had him; just what we need. A guy with size who is a strong defender and superb rebounder.

We'll see. As to what his draft stock turns out to be, that'll depend on how deep the 2020 draft is. This last draft was very top-heavy, then fell off quickly. My last comment on Diakite: wish we had him; just what we need. A guy with size who is a strong defender and superb rebounder.
I would certainly take him, no disputing that, I just don't see him being that highly rated. Right system maybe he sneaks up the board, I'm sure some team will love all his attributes. but lottery pick. I can't even see that as possible.

Players like Nassir Little and Cam Reddish are considered lottery pick elite this year. I know they're looked at more on potential than actual production but ... with a strong next season, I think Diakite could be right there. Again, depends on college draft depth, number of Euros, etc .

Diakite is gonna get a LOT of offensive looks this coming season. 90% of UVAs offense left for the NBA. Question is, will Diakite be able to keep improving and put up the numbers he did in the NCAAT? Since that was strong competition, I'm thinking he will.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back