Malik Price-Martin to USC

Advertisement
I remember a while back there was a rumor that he told Miami he was going to commit but wanted to still visit other places and they told him no.

It's not a big loss. He's a kid who had steadily fallen in the rankings to where only two of the four recruiting services considered him to be four-stars anymore. He was always a very good athlete but he didn't add much strength or skill over the years, and other kids passed him. Getting away from South Florida will probably allow him to develop into the player that I'm not sure that he could with the distractions he has at home.

Advertisement
It's not a big loss. He's a kid who had steadily fallen in the rankings to where only two of the four recruiting services considered him to be four-stars anymore. He was always a very good athlete but he didn't add much strength or skill over the years, and other kids passed him. Getting away from South Florida will probably allow him to develop into the player that I'm not sure that he could with the distractions he has at home.

I respect your knowledge on these recruits just about as much as anyone. I was pretty bummed until I read this.

I respect your knowledge on these recruits just about as much as anyone. I was pretty bummed until I read this.

I want to make it clear that this staff did offer him, and I believe, at one time had a commitment from him. We would have been happy to take him and his raw talent and work with him to make him a great player. But this wasn't a top 10 or top 25 local kid we swung and missed on like Brandon Knight or Kenny Boynton, and it wasn't even a situation like with Demetrius Henry where the best player on the board at a position of need was clearly local. This is a kid who is the 26th best PF according to Scout and 33rd best according to ESPN. Rivals was more generous (87th overall, no position ranking) and 247 the most - #70 overall, #17 PF. He is a good player who offers a lot but he was not the must-get, program savior that a lot of people imagined when he was ranked in the top 25 two years ago and was said to have offers from Pitino, Boeheim, Matta and others - where were they in the last couple of years? We have offers, serious interest and like visits with several players who are higher ranked, are more L-type players (you hear a lot about work ethic with them), and who won't have the distractions of home.

I think MPM will be a better player at USC than he ever would have been here, and I think that we will get someone equivalent or better in this class.

Agreed Josh. We really didn't have much of a shot with where this kid went to school and who he played for. Look at the Demetrius Henry situation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back