Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a really really hard time believing that Miami couldn't get a top tier OC for 2 million. That would put Miami in the top 5 for coordinator salaries. It's especially dumb because Yost and Bedenbaugh would likely be available for half that cost. Either Monroe is full of **** or Diaz is incompetent. I'm leaning towards the former and Diaz's staff is bound by omerta, which is why no leaks.
Who says they're willing to pay 2 mil?

Advertisement
First, I think Manny has most likely already found his OC and is just waiting to announce the entire offensive staff at one time. Unfortunately, Stefan is probably right that it is Applewhite.

However, there is a chance that Manny is actually struggling to find a quality OC and/or quality assistants due to the fact that he is a first time head coach. This type of situation is not unheard of, and would be just another reason why Blake James and the other decision makers at this school simply don’t know what they are doing. They clearly wouldn’t have considered what kind of staff Manny would actually be able to assemble.

I want Manny to be the guy to finally bring this program back, he certainly talks a good game, but I’ve been highly skeptical of this hire.

First, I think Manny has most likely already found his OC and is just waiting to announce the entire offensive staff at one time. Unfortunately, Stefan is probably right that it is Applewhite.

However, there is a chance that Manny is actually struggling to find a quality OC and/or quality assistants due to the fact that he is a first time head coach. This type of situation is not unheard of, and would be just another reason why Blake James and the other decision makers at this school simply don’t know what they are doing. They clearly wouldn’t have considered what kind of staff Manny would actually be able to assemble.

I want Manny to be the guy to finally bring this program back, he certainly talks a good game, but I’ve been highly skeptical of this hire.

I wonder how the whole "Manny is actually struggling to find an OC" assertion fits into the whole narrative that Manny was "humbled" at being inundated with calls on his first day from potential OC's who reached out for the job...

I wonder how the whole "Manny is actually struggling to find an OC" assertion fits into the whole narrative that Manny was "humbled" at being inundated with calls on his first day from potential OC's who reached out for the job...

Just like Blake said he was excited about all the interest he was getting for the HC opening then, turned around and hired the first guy he talked to?

Some of those phone calls Manny was getting, if he was getting them at all, could have just been guys using this opening as leverage for pay raises.

Advertisement
Who says they're willing to pay 2 mil?

That's the math unless the BOT shrank the budget. So far I don't think anyone is making more than his predecessor, so salaries across the board are the same between regimes. The difference is 2 million: 1 from the salary difference between Diaz and Rick, the other 1 million from the OC funds the BOT was giving Rick.

Guarantee the bigger problem on the assistants is the large number of good coaches available and the fact that they are all being interviewed this week in San Antonio.

The idea that we are apparently looking at guys for OC that are really looking for something else bothers me.

Advertisement
Our fanbase sounds like a kid who texted a girl and hasn't heard back yet and now it's getting close to the weekend or something. Running every last word of the conversation through his head, convincing himself of explanations only to not see them pan out, and driving himself crazy.

I can't siphon through all this ****, is it Applewhite? Or are we still in wait and see mode?

Advertisement
giphy.gif

We're not Rice guys... People do consider UM a good job, because we have the talent to make a coordinator look really smart. Highly doubt we're getting played
We certainly made the last four coaches look good and perhaps the 50 assistant coaches that were hired by last 4 failed coaches. Get a reality check.

Advertisement
We certainly made the last four coaches look good and perhaps the 50 assistant coaches that were hired by last 4 failed coaches. Get a reality check.
None of what you wrote makes any sense. The last 4 coaches did themselves in. There is nothing inherent about Miami that kept them from being successful in the ACC Coastal. Diaz a so-so coordinator before Miami fixed a broken Miami defense in a year and improved upon that every year. If you're competent/not over the hill you'll look good.

Our fanbase sounds like a kid who texted a girl and hasn't heard back yet and now it's getting close to the weekend or something. Running every last word of the conversation through his head, convincing himself of explanations only to not see them pan out, and driving himself crazy.

Well uh.. it's getting close to the weekend, crickets are cricketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back