Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week he said he wanted his staff in place by this thursday. Hopefully some news soon.

Advertisement
Our beat writers are so bad that we have to rely on the former ******* punter who's trying to act like an insider

The ****
I think it’s Diaz. Dude has **** akin to Fort Knox. Everyone probably guessing.

he wouldn't go on joe rose tomorrow if we didn't have a OC in place. you would think atleast

Manny is at the coaching convention in San Antonio I’ve got friends there that saw him. They also described 2 guys with him and sounds like Banda and Blake Baker.

Other guys there that may be of interest (that they recognized) Brian Wright, Graham Harrell, Jeff Lebby, Ken Dorsey, Tee Martin.

I believe it wraps up around noon tomorrow. He’ll probably fly back in and make everything official by tomorrow night maybe even drag it into Thursday. Recruiting doesn’t officially come off dead period until Friday (runs through the 10th)
Would love to have Lebby here in some capacity.

Would love to have Lebby here in some capacity.

Agreed. Read an interview with him today and (fwiw $ talks) and he talked about how Heupel was the only coach reaching out after the Baylor stuff and he seems loyal to him for that. Guess we’ll see. Not sure how I’d feel about him as an OC but another position coach would be great.

Advertisement
I have a really really hard time believing that Miami couldn't get a top tier OC for 2 million. That would put Miami in the top 5 for coordinator salaries. It's especially dumb because Yost and Bedenbaugh would likely be available for half that cost. Either Monroe is full of **** or Diaz is incompetent. I'm leaning towards the former and Diaz's staff is bound by omerta, which is why no leaks.

Agreed. Read an interview with him today and (fwiw $ talks) and he talked about how Heupel was the only coach reaching out after the Baylor stuff and he seems loyal to him for that. Guess we’ll see. Not sure how I’d feel about him as an OC but another position coach would be great.
With your background, you've obviously got a lot of contacts MJ. What's your gut feeling on the OC?

Advertisement
With your background, you've obviously got a lot of contacts MJ. What's your gut feeling on the OC?

Being a Miami fan and seeing it happen many times I just have a feeling they’re being cheap and hoping no one out bids us and Major is hoping someone does out bid us and is using us for another offer to drive his price up

From a general perspective.. I’ve never seen this much smoke for one guy and at the same time it being so quiet on all fronts. Not just OC but every position coach. The hire has been “broken” 2 times now and shot down 2 times now that it’s a done deal and that it’s not.

I have a really really hard time believing that Miami couldn't get a top tier OC for 2 million. That would put Miami in the top 5 for coordinator salaries. It's especially dumb because Yost and Bedenbaugh would likely be available for half that cost. Either Monroe is full of **** or Diaz is incompetent. I'm leaning towards the former and Diaz's staff is bound by omerta, which is why no leaks.

We’re not paying a coordinator $2 million. I’d bet our entire defensive staff doesn’t make $2 million and our entire offensive staff will be about $2.5 million tops.

Being a Miami fan and seeing it happen many times I just have a feeling they’re being cheap and hoping no one out bids us and Major is hoping someone does out bid us and is using us for another offer to drive his price up

From a general perspective.. I’ve never seen this much smoke for one guy and at the same time it being so quiet on all fronts. Not just OC but every position coach. The hire has been “broken” 2 times now and shot down 2 times now that it’s a done deal and that it’s not.
Thanks! It's been crazy wading through all the noise. That being said, the silence is deafening! The possible scenarios seem endless but your perspective about the bidding war seems more plausible than others. Your post about the AFCA convention is very telling as well. That has to be a factor in some way, shape, or form that hasn't been mentioned much, if at all.

Thanks! It's been crazy wading through all the noise. That being said, the silence is deafening! The possible scenarios seem endless but your perspective about the bidding war seems more plausible than others. Your post about the AFCA convention is very telling as well. That has to be a factor in some way, shape, or form that hasn't been mentioned much, if at all.

Can’t drag this hire much longer. The WR transfer from Buffalo is waiting and wants to decide where to go, recruiting is about to open up and we have 4 offensive commits on the 2nd worst offense in P5. You can’t open up the recruiting period of your transition class and not have 1 offensivs guy in place. Can’t do it. It’ll be a huge red flag to me on Diaz this early

Advertisement

manny was already said to be headed there by another site (i think football scoop or something). he ALWAYS attended that convention and it's an easy place for coaches to make staff hires since a lot of them are in one building

Can’t drag this hire much longer. The WR transfer from Buffalo is waiting and wants to decide where to go, recruiting is about to open up and we have 4 offensive commits on the 2nd worst offense in P5. You can’t open up the recruiting period of your transition class and not have 1 offensivs guy in place. Can’t do it. It’ll be a huge red flag to me on Diaz this early

manny said it'll be done by Thursday. even josh white said they'd announce tuesday or wednesday.

It is hard to get outbid for Major because he still has 3 years on his UH deal. No school is going to want to pay him when UH can pay him. Actually getting him saves Miami money

Advertisement
We’re not paying a coordinator $2 million. I’d bet our entire defensive staff doesn’t make $2 million and our entire offensive staff will be about $2.5 million tops.

I think this is low. Total football coach salaries for FY 2018 were $10.2 million. If Manny is making $3.1 as reported by the Herald, there’s no way they’re cutting assistant coach salaries by that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back