Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I don’t like this hire one bit. I think it’s a mistake and while I think his offense will be an improvement over Richt’s, I don’t think he gets us anywhere better than slightly above average. There’s nothing anybody can say to change my mind on that, and this is definitely not a “shot in the arm.”

That said, he deserves a shot, and this will be my last negative comment on the subject until we see the results on the field.

You realize Miami is slightly above average program right? What have we done in the last 17 years? 1 Coarstal championship..... what else ?

All I want to hear from Applebag is, “We’re going to be running a lot of the same concepts we ran at Houston this year with Briles.”

I think that’s what Diaz will tell him to do. Whomever is hired, The offense will not be boring. Was just looking at who Alabama is looking at to replace Locksley, and it’s nothing exciting, although they might be able to pull Fedora, just because it’s Saban.

What has regenerated the MA talk as OC? Is this because of the Pickney thread or is there something else that revived it?

Advertisement
I was curious, so went to look at his S&P+ plus at various stops.

Before / Apple / After

Rice: 89 / 69 / 106 - Improved 20 spots, and fell off a cliff without him

Alabama: 45 / 54 / 7 - Fell 9 spots, and then Bama became Bama

Texas: 24 / 23 / 90 - Beat Harsin by one spot when he took over, despite it being Browns's last year. Fell off a cliff without him.

Houston: 95 / 33 / 69 / 37* / 15 - *He took back over mid-2017; He immediately improved the unit a bunch, then was sneaky not good Herman's last year. As a HC his offenses were just good, including one he had to take over mid-season from a rookie coordinator.

Initially didn't like this hire. Over the last few days I think it's good. Like B- good. He's going to run uptempo spread concepts and that's what we need. Let's ride.

A- good. Dude runs a two-back uptempo set (which fits our personnel), mastered Herman’s simple-*** spread, and then hired Briles to run his offense. Great hire and I can't wait to see the offense in action.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah, I’m not either. Just saying if you put a gun to my head and made me bet a mortgage payment, that’s who I’d bet on. I could be completely wrong, but just wanted to put it in writing that’s my prediction.

I’m as ready as anyone to know, but I’m patiently waiting. Or trying to.

Bump.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back