Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clemson has a nice scheme on offense. It was not installed by either the current OC's. Chad Morris was the guy behind it. I'd prefer if Scott had experience calling plays. Applewhite has done so very successfully for 2 years.

Advertisement
Well I mentioned every guy you mentioned except for Pope (not optimistic about him) and Deejay (don't care for him at RB) and outside of TE, maybe only Hightower is a starter over there. .
As I’ve said Clemson skill talent compared to Miami isn’t as big of a gap as you think imo. We will see in this new system for sure

i think he was. and maybe still could be. but i also think that stefan doesnt believe he knows anymore, and that's why he's been completely silent.

Could be.

But there are several other possibilities as well. Some that have been mentioned in this thread.

One thing that usually happens is that after time what actually happened will trickle out.

I tend to think Stefan will fill us in as to the circumstances...when he can. And who knows, it may be days or a couple of weeks or so.

He’s been solid in his tenure here, so I don’t expect anything different.

Just go double Yost's salary and bring that surfer looking dude to South Beach!

Yost doesnt strike me as a guy who cares about money. He quit at MU due to burn out. I don't think he would want any part of the pressure that comes from the Miami job.

Advertisement
Wright from Toledo intrigues me more than Jeff Scott because he tore us up two years in a row with inferior talent, and was the primary play caller at Toledo.

Scott is not a primary play caller, but he seems like a great recruiter and has learned under one of the best systems in CFB.

As I’ve said Clemson skill talent compared to Miami isn’t as big of a gap as you think imo. We will see in this new system for sure

Their QB is a generational talent, and no one on our roster could hold his jock strap tbqh

Agreed. Said the same things in the Scott thread. Clemson has a dominant OL and we do not. Also, there was nothing mind blowing in their play calling against us last year. It was all simple stuff, but since they controlled the line of scrimmage, it worked effectively.

Agreed - I really don't think an export of the Clemson offense is what we are looking for. It works for them because of their OL, but IMO wouldn't work much better than Richt's offense for us. It looks to me like pretty basic stuff that they simply execute well.

Wright from Toledo intrigues me more than Jeff Scott because he tore us up two years in a row with inferior talent, and was the primary play caller at Toledo.

Scott is not a primary play caller, but he seems like a great recruiter and has learned under one of the best systems in CFB.

Their QB is a generational talent, and no one on our roster could hold his jock strap tbqh

Not sure the infatuation with Wright. He's 58 (I think) with a crappy resume who had a couple of good years at Toledo, with a very good QB last year....an average QB this year. Would really need to see a lot more.

Except the qb that outperformed him at several competitions last year in Jarren Williams.. people keep writing him off but I’m not at all. Don’t be a fan later

Advertisement
l see them winning by 3 TD's minimum if we meet them in the ACC Championship game next year, and that's with us having a new OC, system, and HC. Saying there's not a skill gap between us and them is like saying there's not a skill gap between us and Bama, bc that's the level Clemson is on right now.

But I'm anxious to see who we end up with already, and let's be honest, I'll probably convince myself to like whoever it is.

I said this a few days ago. Clemson Offense is basic AF. They have just recruited to the point where they out athlete most teams.

Not sure the infatuation with Wright. He's 58 (I think) with a crappy resume who had a couple of good years at Toledo, with a very good QB last year....an average QB this year. Would really need to see a lot more.

"This past season, the Rockets finished the regular season ranked second in the MAC in scoring offense (41.1), total offense (448.5) and rushing offense (223.6). Toledo set a school record by scoring 50 or more points in six games, on its way to a 7-5 record and an appearance in the Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl"

With an average QB they put up those kind of numbers this year. He's been an OC/play caller for 13 years now. I don't really need to see any more.

l see them winning by 3 TD's minimum if we meet them in the ACC Championship game next year, and that's with us having a new OC, system, and HC. Saying there's not a skill gap between us and them is like saying there's not a skill gap between us and Bama, bc that's the level Clemson is on right now.

But I'm anxious to see who we end up with already, and let's be honest, I'll probably convince myself to like whoever it is.

Defensively the skill difference is minimal. The skill difference at ol is great

Advertisement
I’m not ruling out any of the names mentioned

Yeah, I’m not either. Just saying if you put a gun to my head and made me bet a mortgage payment, that’s who I’d bet on. I could be completely wrong, but just wanted to put it in writing that’s my prediction.

I’m as ready as anyone to know, but I’m patiently waiting. Or trying to.

at this point, there have been reports out saying it's not going to applewhite by what most would consider bigger media names. if stefan still believed what he originally reported as fact, then he would've came out and said as much. but 100% silence? that to me says he thinks he got it wrong and he's praying for a miracle so he can still save face. he had his bluff called and now he's just hoping the river saves him without his having to risk any more cred.

he might still luck into getting this right, but he's not going to get credit from me just for throwing out a guess before anyone else did. even if diaz did "rip into the assistants and the media", that wouldnt stop stefan from simply saying, "i still stand by my original report".

If Applewhite is definitely not coming then it wouldn’t be far-fetched to think Stefan knows and would have corrected his statement by now.

Advertisement
They haven't had a ridiculous OL every year. They also don't recruit that well at the OL. They recruit mostly 3* at OL with a few 4* and 1 5* sprinkled in. FYI...their entire OL class for 2019 is from the state of Florida.

I think their OL play will be the difference tonight, but not in a good way. Bama was able to chase Murray out of the pocket a lot. OU's line is much better than Clemsons. Murray saved their asssses that game. Lawrence isn't Murray on the ground game. Lawrence is going to get hit and chased a ton tonight.

Yost doesnt strike me as a guy who cares about money. He quit at MU due to burn out. I don't think he would want any part of the pressure that comes from the Miami job.
Yeah, don't know much about him but he seems to stick to rural type areas. Wish we would have at least reached out with a very enticing offer, who knows, maybe we did and he said no.

Outside of Lingard, Hightower, Cam, and Payton, I don't see any skill position guy at the positions I mentioned getting any burn at Clemson.

We have the edge for certain at TE. I need that OC who gonna figure how to get Mallory and Jordan on the field at the same time and terrorize the middle of the field.
Our skill position guys are on the same tier as Clemson, it’s unfair to discredit them since their development and showcase of their potential was slowed down by Richt play calling. QB and Oline Clemson has the edge but as far as RB, consider that Etienne (although putting up monster numbers) had about 115 more carries than the next guy, Deejay and Homer had to split carries. And in the case of our WRs, we had no legitimate passing game and many of them dropped catches. With better play calling from an OC and a better WR coach, both of these problems can be fixed and you will immediately notice a significant improvement with our WRs.

Our skill position guys are on the same tier as Clemson, it’s unfair to discredit them since their development and showcase of their potential was slowed down by Richt play calling. QB and Oline Clemson has the edge but as far as RB, consider that Etienne (although putting up monster numbers) had about 115 more carries than the next guy, Deejay and Homer had to split carries. And in the case of our WRs, we had no legitimate passing game and many of them dropped catches. With better play calling from an OC and a better WR coach, both of these problems can be fixed and you will immediately notice a significant improvement with our WRs.
I'm not a fan our WR room right now.

Hightower and Payton the only ballers I see in there w dominant ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back