Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s what we do know. It’s fairly certain that Applewhite was and/or is a very serious candidate. That’s what this is saying to me.

i think he was. and maybe still could be. but i also think that stefan doesnt believe he knows anymore, and that's why he's been completely silent.

Advertisement
Jeff Scott has a higher potential than either of Brian white/coley/fisch imo. He coordinates Clemson passing game, and helps install the game plans, has recruited and developed all of the Clemson great receivers since 08. That’s a great resume tbh...
My issue with Scott is he has never coached a team where he had the inferior talent or inferior QB. He has always had the dominant squad, and if you watch enough Clemson games you'll see they do some things we simply cannot do right now, not to mention their WR's are probably right behind PSU's in the insane/ contested catch category. The few times Clemson has been unable to dominate and take their opponent out early (see Syracuse game when Lawerence was taken out) they simply just rely on their OL and just physically whip the other team.

There's no ingenuity to what he does schematically.

My issue with Scott is he has never coached a team where he had the inferior talent or inferior QB. He has always had the dominant squad, and if you watch enough Clemson games you'll see they do some things we simply cannot do right now, not to mention their WR's are probably right behind PSU's in the insane/ contested catch category. The few times Clemson has been unable to dominate and take their opponent out early (see Syracuse game when Lawerence was taken out) they simply just rely on their OL and just physically whip the other team.

Clemson has better overall talent especially at the oline position on offense but you act like it’s a step down from bama level talent to fiu comparing Miami and Clemson, it certainly isn’t that. Outside of Clemson who has more talent than Miami on offense in the acc? No one. We have multiple skill players who are high level guys at rb, te, receivers . Jarren Williams is still a really talented QB there was multiple high level qbs in Georgia in 2018 and he was the 3rd best behind Lawrence and fields which says a lot. Just because he didn’t play last year doesn’t mean he couldn’t. Richt controlling *** screwed his development up. Williams is the goods and will show it this year... Clemson is a proven system, I dont See them as having a simplistic offense with horrible routes like Miami had under richt tbh

Jarren Williams is still a really talented QB there was multiple high level qbs in Georgia in 2018 and he was the 3rd best behind Lawrence and fields which says a lot. Just because he didn’t play last year doesn’t mean he couldn’t. Richt controlling *** screwed his development up. Williams is the goods and will show it this year...

We don't know what he is. Diaz watched him all year too and he didn't shy away from telling the world that a grad transfer QB is a serious option. We already tried with Jackson. Whoever the OC will be certainly isn't married to Williams.

Of course it makes sense. Miami is the Mickey Mouse organization of college football. Coaches know it, and in turn treat them as such.

Agreed. Said the same things in the Scott thread. Clemson has a dominant OL and we do not. Also, there was nothing mind blowing in their play calling against us last year. It was all simple stuff, but since they controlled the line of scrimmage, it worked effectively.

Advertisement
Clemson has better overall talent especially at the oline position on offense but you act like it’s a step down from bama level talent to fiu comparing Miami and Clemson, it certainly isn’t that. Outside of Clemson who has more talent than Miami on offense in the acc? No one. We have multiple skill players who are high level guys at rb, te, receivers . Jarren Williams is still a really talented QB there was multiple high level qbs in Georgia in 2018 and he was the 3rd best behind Lawrence and fields which says a lot. Just because he didn’t play last year doesn’t mean he couldn’t. Richt controlling *** screwed his development up. Williams is the goods and will show it this year... Clemson is a proven system, I dont See them as having a simplistic offense with horrible routes like Miami had under richt tbh
There is a monumental gap between their OL, QB, WR's and RB's and ours. It's not even close and hasn't been for some time.

Valid point, however, I want a guy who knows what a championship offense is supposed to look like. There are a ton of young OC's who think their **** is the next greatest thing, but at a certain point the law of diminishing returns kicks in schematically and none of that matters if you can't field/evaluate the talent and know what to do with it.

While I won't use the word dominant, we have the clear talent advantage in the coastal division and it's not even close. He would feel right at home in that respect.

And ingenuity in what respect? This board has been clamoring over Clemson's offense for years now, particularly their use of motion and misdirection. Bringing in the guy that has been cooking up that scheme for 4 years now while going 54-4 is exactly the type of hire we need.

While I won't use the word dominant, we have the clear talent advantage in the coastal division and it's not even close. He would feel right at home in that respect.

And ingenuity in what respect? This board has been clamoring over Clemson's offense for years now, particularly their use of motion and misdirection. Bringing in the guy that has been cooking up that scheme for 4 years now while going 54-4 is exactly the type of hire we need.
Not to mention an ace recruiter that we desperately need

Advertisement

Definitely agree on having the advantage in the Coastal, but not on ppl clamoring for Clemson's offense. They run a simple spread rooted in mirrored concepts. What makes it click is the ridiculous OL they have. I'm not impressed from an X's and O's standpoint.

LOL...this is an asinine take.

Those WRs you speak of, who do you think recruited them and coaches them? It's Jeff Scott actually.

Jeff Scott is the best option of anybody that we've been talking about on here, and it's not even close.

Definitely agree on having the advantage in the Coastal, but not on ppl clamoring for Clemson's offense. They run a simple spread rooted in mirrored concepts. What makes it click is the ridiculous OL they have. I'm not impressed from an X's and O's standpoint.

They haven't had a ridiculous OL every year. They also don't recruit that well at the OL. They recruit mostly 3* at OL with a few 4* and 1 5* sprinkled in. FYI...their entire OL class for 2019 is from the state of Florida.

They haven't had a ridiculous OL every year. They also don't recruit that well at the OL. They recruit mostly 3* at OL with a few 4* and 1 5* sprinkled in. FYI...their entire OL class for 2019 is from the state of Florida.
I didn't mention one word about stars or recruiting rankings in regards to their OL. Not one. It's irrelevant to OL performance and dominance. What's key is evaluation and having a "program", something we clearly do not and will not have any time soon.

And in regards to your previous post about WR's, the point you're missing is CRAZY and CONTESTED as opposed to WIDE OPEN and UNCOVERED. I prefer the latter which is the result of innovative routes and motion.

Advertisement
There is a monumental gap between their OL, QB, WR's and RB's and ours. It's not even close and hasn't been for some time.
I agree at the oline position and qb because of Lawrence. But Miami isn’t chopping our chopped liver at the skill positions either, just was in a horrible system

I didn't mention one word about stars or recruiting rankings in regards to their OL. Not one. It's irrelevant to OL performance and dominance. What's key is evaluation and having a "program", something we clearly do not and will not have any time soon.

And in regards to your previous post about WR's, the point you're missing is CRAZY and CONTESTED as opposed to WIDE OPEN and UNCOVERED. I prefer the latter which is the result of innovative routes and motion.
Clemson receivers get wide open and they happen to have the ability to make crazy contested catches too

I agree at the oline position and qb because of Lawrence. But Miami isn’t chopping our chopped liver at the skill positions either, just was in a horrible system
Outside of Lingard, Hightower, Cam, and Payton, I don't see any skill position guy at the positions I mentioned getting any burn at Clemson.

We have the edge for certain at TE. I need that OC who gonna figure how to get Mallory and Jordan on the field at the same time and terrorize the middle of the field.

Advertisement
Outside of Lingard, Hightower, Cam, and Payton, I don't see any skill position guy at the positions I mentioned getting any burn at Clemson.

We have the edge for certain at TE. I need that OC who gonna figure how to get Mallory and Jordan on the field at the same time and terrorize the middle of the field.

From our offense alone
At receiver
-Mark Pope(he will be better in a better system for sure)
- Hightower
- Payton

Tight end
- brevin Jordan
-Mallory

Rbs
All 3 of them would play
Yes Travis Etienne is an animal and a top 3 back in the country or so but they don’t have much behind him. I mean let’s be real cam Davis, lingard and deejay Dallas is better than Adam choice or whoever they got behind etienne.

So that’s a good amount of skill talent who would at least be in their rotation, not saying all would start but they would play for sure

Not the biggest of X's and O's guy but I saw very little mirrored concepts in their game against ND. In fact the route trees from the receivers was extremely impressive to me. They would send guys to every part of the field every pass play. Sprinkle in their tendency to run the bubble screen periodically to keep the secondary peeking into the backfield and they could hit you from any direction.

And looking at your other post, I don't know how you can say that for the past 4 years Clemson hasn't been one of the better teams in CFB at using motion.

From our offense alone
At receiver
-Mark Pope(he will be better in a better system for sure)
- Hightower
- Payton

Tight end
- brevin Jordan
-Mallory

Rbs
All 3 of them would play
Yes Travis Etienne is an animal and a top 3 back in the country or so but they don’t have much behind him. I mean let’s be real cam Davis, lingard and deejay Dallas is better than Adam choice or whoever they got behind etienne.

So that’s a good amount of skill talent who would at least be in their rotation
Well I mentioned every guy you mentioned except for Pope (not optimistic about him) and Deejay (don't care for him at RB) and outside of TE, maybe only Hightower is a starter over there. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back