Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's Scott then I'll be extatic. He would bring in elite talent to our offense. Him with Sieber would start to actually put the fence up. Applewhite might have more experience calling plays, but it's not like he's a proven offensive genious. Who's to say Scott can't be a better play caller to go along with his elite recruiting? He could help Manny molding our program into a Clemson or Bama type. If we want to stop getting embarrassed by these other teams in our back yard, then this is the hire we need.

Advertisement
“I don’t see myself leaving for another coordinator position,” Scott said.

I would take that to mean no to another OC position. Do you see any wiggle room in that statement? Now I guess he could mean it today and then change his mind on Tuesday, but that doesn't seem like coach speak to me.

I would take that to mean no to another OC position. Do you see any wiggle room in that statement? Now I guess he could mean it today and then change his mind on Tuesday, but that doesn't seem like coach speak to me.

“Coach speak would be " I am happy where I am at I have no interest in leaving right now" or something like that. ”

@Salt

Go read all of Scott’s statements. It’s really no different than what you said was coach speak.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I do find it peculiar that the only announced hire has been David Freeley from the university. Yet it is the Blake Baker has been reported on several media outlets.

Also adding in the fact that Canesfootball twitter is following all three (Applewhite, Baker, Freeley).

Advertisement
Meh, coach speak.

I drew a distinction between coach speak and lying. Coach speak is purposely vague and non-comittal. Then there is lying. Scott could be lying to detract attention, but that would burn a valuable bridge in his young career if things don't work out for him here. I don't think he is lying.

Anyone thinks some of the hires/decision have been made just not public yet ? I mean The canesfootball account is following 2 of the confirmed reported hires in Blake baker and the strength and conditioning coach and also Major Applewhite still so that’s interesting. I saw we announced the strength and conditioning coach yesterday but not Blake baker who is reported to have been hired days ago. His twitter by the way doesn’t have any mention of Miami or recent activity and it still says la tech. Maybe they are waiting to release it all at once? Whatever it is, stuff should be leaking out the next few days considering the dead period ends pretty soon

Anyone thinks some of the hires/decision have been made just not public yet ? I mean The canesfootball account is following 2 of the confirmed reported hires in Blake baker and the strength and conditioning coach and also Major Applewhite still so that’s interesting. I saw we announced the strength and conditioning coach yesterday but not Blake baker who is reported to have been hired days ago. His twitter by the way doesn’t have any mention of Miami or recent activity and it still says la tech. Maybe they are waiting to release it all at once? Whatever it is, stuff should be leaking out the next few days considering the dead period ends pretty soon
I think we will know by Tuesday. Diaz likely isn't going to risk an NFL hire, seeing as the playoffs and super bowl will extend past NSD. Plus, the new staff will have to hit the trail hard and build relationships fast

I drew a distinction between coach speak and lying. Coach speak is purposely vague and non-comittal. Then there is lying. Scott could be lying to detract attention, but that would burn a valuable bridge in his young career if things don't work out for him here. I don't think he is lying.

Sometimes you have to lie to those direct questions.
I hate Nick Saban for many reasons, but never really saw the big-deal about him lying to the
soFla press when asked if he was taking the Alabama job.
What was he supposed to have said?
I guess one can make a vague denial as we saw many times with folks like Butch Davis when he was
the UM HC, but all that did is fuel more speculation and questions, especially whenever there was a
press conference.
Basically, I don't think one owes it to the reporters to be honest at all times.
That's their problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back