Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone, I'm a reader for years now on this site. Love my Canes and following the football news I find here,Thank you. Would like to say one thing here then return to my safe reading space. I remember hearing someone mention last week that the OC hire was not going to be announced until the championship game is over. My insight to this information leads me believe our next OC works for Bama or Clemson, they dont want any distractions until after the game. Remember this is just something that was thinking about and could be a possibility. Have a great Sunday Everyone and Go Canes

Advertisement
Some interesting tidbits in that Applewhite contract.

http://footballscoop.com/news/major-applewhite-contract/

Applewhite gets a "deferred compensation" bonus each year, meant to essentially act as a retention bonus. It's $250,000 per year, that ends when he is let go, but is pro-rated. He needs to receive it within 30 days of his termination, but another provision in the agreement says a lump-sum of 60 days, so my guess is they actually have 60 days since he was terminated. Basically, he's getting a $250,000 lump sum payout soon.
Applewhite Contract 1.PNG

Applewhite had to notify his AD of interest from any other job and get written permission from his AD before he or his agent could discuss any job.
Applewhite Contract 2.PNG

Here is where it talks about the fact UH has 60 days- rather than 30- to pay the lump sum after termination without cause. The only benefit I was able to find the contract for coach to wait to announce is the duty to mitigate would reduce the amount UH pays him each month.
Applewhite Contract 3.PNG

Here is the duty to mitigate, which stipulates Applewhite must look for gainful work as a HC or assistant, and any monies paid while employed in that position would be reduced from the amount that UH is liable for.
Applewhite Contract 4.PNG

I've put a lot of work into writing something up on Applewhite's history and reviewing his contract, so I still hope and believe he will be the guy.

It could be someone on Clemson or Alabega or even a coach in the NFL playoffs. They might also still be negotiating staff hires, money etc who knows.

The delay very easily could be figuring out how the Houston buyout fits into the UM deal. They’d might be determining who owes what to whom contractually.
Not that I have a preference but you could say the same thing about Fedora, right?

What has Wright accomplished? What is his pedigree?

2018 offense- 30th
2017 offense- 16th
2016 offense- 30th

Coached Logan Woodside as he was the QB coach as well. Runs a spread utilizing space. Has Florida ties (was Interim HC for 4 games and went 4-0).

Advertisement

Applewhite gets a "deferred compensation" bonus each year, meant to essentially act as a retention bonus. It's $250,000 per year, that ends when he is let go, but is pro-rated. He needs to receive it within 30 days of his termination, but another provision in the agreement says a lump-sum of 60 days, so my guess is they actually have 60 days since he was terminated. Basically, he's getting a $250,000 lump sum payout soon.
View attachment 74907
Applewhite had to notify his AD of interest from any other job and get written permission from his AD before he or his agent could discuss any job.
View attachment 74908

Here is where it talks about the fact UH has 60 days- rather than 30- to pay the lump sum after termination without cause. The only benefit I was able to find the contract for coach to wait to announce is the duty to mitigate would reduce the amount UH pays him each month.
View attachment 74910

Here is the duty to mitigate, which stipulates Applewhite must look for gainful work as a HC or assistant, and any monies paid while employed in that position would be reduced from the amount that UH is liable for.
View attachment 74911

I've put a lot of work into writing something up on Applewhite's history and reviewing his contract, so I still hope and believe he will be the guy.

I truly hope he will not be the guy. He sucks!

Advertisement

View attachment 74907
View attachment 74908

View attachment 74910

View attachment 74911

My question for these coaches that were fired that are owed buyouts is this, it states that they must actively be looking for employment and that sum will be deducted from the money owed to the coach. What happens if they are offered a job and turn it down “fedora turned it down because he wants to be a head coach” and then they end up not getting hired elsewhere? Are they going to see a reduction in what they are owed? I’m sure they can’t just turn everyone down and make the school pay them all they are owed and not work. What are the consequences if they don’t get hired when jobs were offered and turned down?

I like Wright as well. Fedora was my first choice but I like Wright too. Young, hungry and innovative. Somebody who has something to prove at the P5 level.

It wouldnt be Scott from Clemson. A recent article stated he said he’s not leaving Clemson to go to another school for essentially the same position. He said even though it’s he’s a Co-Oc and doesn’t technically call plays, it’s not in title only. He’s heavily involved in game planning and plays that are called. He’s going to stay a Clemon until a HC offer pops up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My question for these coaches that were fired that are owed buyouts is this, it states that they must actively be looking for employment and that sum will be deducted from the money owed to the coach. What happens if they are offered a job and turn it down “fedora turned it down because he wants to be a head coach” and then they end up not getting hired elsewhere? Are they going to see a reduction in what they are owed? I’m sure they can’t just turn everyone down and make the school pay them all they are owed and not work. What are the consequences if they don’t get hired when jobs were offered and turned down?
Great questions and may be answered in another portion of the contract.

View attachment 74907
View attachment 74908

View attachment 74910

View attachment 74911

Great work as always @Lance Roffers! Those provisions in the contract could very well be reason/s for the apparent delay - IF it's Applewhite.

Great work as always @Lance Roffers! Those provisions in the contract could very well be reason/s for the apparent delay - IF it's Applewhite.

At this point to me personally, Applewhite is the right hire.

-Young for someone with his experience
-Worked under some good coaches
-Has a relationship with Diaz
-Ran good offenses under Herman
-Should have learned some from Briles
-His QB’s always over perform
-Runs a scheme that utilizes what we have at Miami.

Advertisement
At this point to me personally, Applewhite is the right hire.

-Young for someone with his experience
-Worked under some good coaches
-Has a relationship with Diaz
-Ran good offenses under Herman
-Should have learned some from Briles
-His QB’s always over perform
-Runs a scheme that utilizes what we have at Miami.
Certainly can't disagree. And from some of the articles I've read about him, he seems to have owned his mistakes (personal and professional) and learned from them both.

It wouldnt be Scott from Clemson. A recent article stated he said he’s not leaving Clemson to go to another school for essentially the same position. He said even though it’s he’s a Co-Oc and doesn’t technically call plays, it’s not in title only. He’s heavily involved in game planning and plays that are called. He’s going to stay a Clemon until a HC offer pops up.

I agree with this. Anyone that states this was just a deflection is naive. You don't get this specific and then leave for something less than like to be an OC. If he had said "I already have a terrific job and not interested in leaving anywhere right now" that would be different.

I agree with this. Anyone that states this was just a deflection is naive. You don't get this specific and then leave for something less than like to be an OC. If he had said "I already have a terrific job and not interested in leaving anywhere right now" that would be different.
It will be kind of unforced lateral move. People make lateral moves if there are a lot of financial incentives or a more prestigious job with more stability. Now, which is more prestigious and more stable? Working with a first time HC who still has to prove himself or a well established HC with a team competing for NC on a yearly basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back