Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if serious. Stefan reported that Applewhite was to be named OC, per multiple sources. How is this on him that he hasn’t been officially named yet? You want him to hold that info? I’d rather he’d keep the forum posted when multiple sources alert him to something, even if said info turns out to be wrong or delayed.

Thought of another way, what possible reason would Stefan have to simply throw crap at the wall in this instance? I think his sources may have jumped the gun, but that’s not on him and I’d rather he keep feeding us info.

Stefan said that he was HIRED. Stop making excuses for the guy. I like Stefan but he messed up...that is all.

Advertisement
Jeff Scott can supposedly recruit well. I'm not sure how much control he has of the offense, but beware. His father was Brad Scott...Florida State OC prior to Richt, and was HC at South Carolina. He might be more than a recruiter, but anytime I see a coach's son climb the ranks, it makes me wonder.

This worry of the link to FSU would also apply in some way to Manny Diaz, who is a FSU graduate. It should not prevent us from making good hires.

SIAP. Nice breakdown of Applewhite's offense from SOTU: https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/1/...hite-as-potential-miami-offensive-coordinator

16th in offensive S&P+ in 2018
37th in offensive S&P+ in 2017

This got me excited:
"I love going empty inside the red zone. Many teams cram up the box and play 5 yard football once they’re inside the red zone only to kick a field goal after a couple of runs up the middle and a sloppy fade route. Applewhite attacks the middle of the field which I love, too."

Or in Richt's case, play 5 yard football on every possession regardless of field position only to shank a punt after a couple of runs up the middle and an easily defended vertical route.

SIAP. Nice breakdown of Applewhite's offense from SOTU: https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/1/...hite-as-potential-miami-offensive-coordinator

This got me excited:
"I love going empty inside the red zone. Many teams cram up the box and play 5 yard football once they’re inside the red zone only to kick a field goal after a couple of runs up the middle and a sloppy fade route. Applewhite attacks the middle of the field which I love, too."

Or in Richt's case, play 5 yard football on every possession regardless of field position only to shank a punt after a couple of runs up the middle and an easily defended vertical route.

He literally just described how Richtity called the games

This got me excited:

What? You mean throwing fades to a 5'10" or shorter receiver is not standard?

Advertisement
Stefan still texting Unibrow and not getting a text back?!

This worry of the link to FSU would also apply in some way to Manny Diaz, who is a FSU graduate. It should not prevent us from making good hires.
Its not the fact it is FSU...it could be Oklahoma, UCLA, etc....its the "take care of my son" thing. I would be nervous to hire a coach whose quick climbing of the ranks MAY POSSIBLY be because his father made it happen...not because of his total merit. Jeff Scott may be a great coach.

Stefan said that he was HIRED. Stop making excuses for the guy. I like Stefan but he messed up...that is all.
Except for the fact that you’re wrong, I guess we are on the same page.

Advertisement
You are making stuff up. Stefan never said that he WAS hired. He said that he WILL be hired. Below is his exact quote.

"Major Applewhite WILL be the new offensive coordinator at Miami, multiple sources tell CanesInSight.com"

In the title of the **** thread, it also says "to be named," which implies that it WILL happen, not that it ALREADY happened. Then again, I guess by providing facts, I am just making up excuses for him as well.

Except for the fact that you’re wrong, I guess we are on the same page.

How am I wrong? Applewhite could still be hired.
BUT that was FAKE *** news from
Stefan via Unibrow YESTERDAY. Just putting guesses out there.

You are making stuff up. Stefan never said that he WAS hired. He said that he WILL be hired. Below is his exact quote.

"Major Applewhite WILL be the new offensive coordinator at Miami, multiple sources tell CanesInSight.com"

In the title of the **** thread, it also says "to be named," which implies that it WILL happen, not that it ALREADY happened. Then again, I guess by providing facts, I am just making up excuses for him as well.
Exactly. He said he will be hired . Not that he has been. Reading comprehension is important.

Advertisement
What? You mean throwing fades to a 5'10" or shorter receiver is not standard?
This has been an issue (one of many) with our offense for a while. I'll never forget Nix calling back to back fades to Sam Shields in the infamous Kirnobyl game. As bad as that game was, we were actually in position to win at the end of regulation before that unfortunate series of play calls.

See here is how I see it and why I had qualms about the Manny hire and why he needs to win out the gate. Richt for all his faults left us in a much better position than Coker Randy or Golden. Facilities have been upgraded and the talent level is much much better. Still holes in the roster but that soph class is crazy talented and supplemented with some great pieces from the 17 class plus the Shaq and Pinckney as senior leaders. It was imperative that from the beginning the 18 class would not be squandered. We needed someone to jump start their tenure by winning now and they have all the tools at their disposal to utterly rape and pillage the Coastal. There is no excuse for not winning 10+ next year, none. That’s why I was so frustrated when we hired Manny because he is green as a HC. In reality he does deserve time but he was thrown into a position where he can’t get time. That’s not Manny’s fault, it’s Miami’s fault for putting him in that position and I feel it was a bad decision. If we lose to UF, it will be a major hit in recruiting and perception, cause outside of the rah rah on Canes sites, just know the Manny hire didn’t scare anyone, on the contrary most were laughing.
Didn’t we lose to UF first game of the year 83?

Players better get some good REM sleep during the off-season... new everything... playbook... coverages and S & C. Got to hit the ground running on Aug. 31st.

Advertisement
Stefan still hasn’t commented saying something at least like it’ll be announced later today or something? Yikes

The longer Stefan goes silent, the longer I'm thinking the random *** wipe poster is right and he is wrong. The Great Circle of CIS

This has been an issue (one of many) with our offense for a while. I'll never forget Nix calling back to back fades to Sam Shields in the infamous Kirnobyl game. As bad as that game was, we were actually in position to win at the end of regulation before that unfortunate series of play calls.
Give me receivers that catch on a regular basis, and a defense that stops tight ends from running down the seam.

How am I wrong? Applewhite could still be hired.
BUT that was FAKE *** news from
Stefan via Unibrow YESTERDAY. Just putting guesses out there.
Do you understand how the hiring process works? Before it can be announced as official, there is HR type **** that needs to happen. Application with work history and personal information needs to be formally submitted into the internal system. Background checks need to happen. Maybe Applewhite is asking for something in his contract that has to be reviewed by lawyers and formally approved by the University, etc. That doesn't mean he won't be hired. It just means there are some boxes that need to be checked before they make a public announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back