Lucas Thompson S

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
Lucas Thompson talked about his senior season after seven games.

"We’re 4-3 right now, we’re playing alright but we have a lot to improve on," Thompson said. "I’m doing good, but I feel like I can always do something to get better."

Thompson, 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds, is one of the top defensive back prospects in the greater Orlando area and he talked about recruiting.

"East Carolina, South Carolina, Louisville, and Miami are the schools who have been calling me lately," he said. "They're the ones really recruiting me now."

Thompson said he's not in position to name a favorite, after calling the Hurricanes his top choice for awhile.

"Right now I’m pretty open and just trying to wait and see what happens. I don’t really have a favorite right now but I am going up to visit ECU this weekend, so then we’ll see what happens after that. I plan on visiting Miami and those other schools too."

Inside the classroom Thompson claims a 2.4 GPA.

Advertisement
Thompson is one of the bigger sleepers heading into the spring evaluation period out of the state of Florida. This guy has safety size and physicality with cornerback breaking quickness and anticipation skills. Tall, well-built with a high-cut frame that allows him to cover a lot of ground. Acceleration and makeup speed are very good and his underneath burst and explosion on the football are in an upper-tier category. Shows he can make plays in all three levels of the defense. Has experience at corner and shows good burst out of his pedal. Reads the quarterback soundly and does a great job timing his break. Displays good explosion jumping routes; closes the cushion fast. If he does not undercut the route he looks to separate the ball from the receiver with big collisions. This is a hitter who thrives on contact and can be an intimidating presence over the middle. Drives through as a tackler. Shows he can play with skill-set as well in coverage. Will press, reroute receivers and can stick to them out of their breaks. However, he is better driving on the pass in front of him than flipping his hips in transition. Could become cleaner with footwork. Shows a bit of hip tightness at times in his movements and could be smoother changing direction. Is a presence on run support when deployed near the box. Shows good pursuit speed and closes hard and fast. However, size and strength are needed to remain productive as a run supporter at the college level. Overall, Thompson is a well-rounded safety who will mix it up physically and is comfortable playing in the box. Expect recruiting to heat up this spring.

I'm a huge fan of his but I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever end up here. Seems like he's been on the verge of committing forever now but I have a feeling he's scared of the potential sanctions.

I'm a huge fan of his but I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever end up here. Seems like he's been on the verge of committing forever now but I have a feeling he's scared of the potential sanctions.
UM has not offered him yet

Advertisement
If he wants it, let him bust his *** in the classroom. Would be a perfect fit for our needs.

Advertisement
I have a friend who is coach that works in Ocoee and he says Thompson is not very good. He thinks he is not a BCS type kid!

Then he's the only one who thinks that because the general consensus is that he's a great prospect.

MikeBakas
John 3:16
36767 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Nominate | Report

Posted: 7/11/2011 10:46 PM
Re: Mike or anyone- Lucas Thompson ?
I think he's more of a UCF kid. I had him at one of my camps. Miami has offered him, though.
Reply | Quote

Advertisement
Yeah. Ive never seen more than a few minutes of video, but if AG offered, I'm good with it.

I've honestly come to realize that I'm more comfortable watching a kids video and making my own evaluation rather than listen to someone like Bakas or anyone associated with one of the big sites.

Advertisement
I've honestly come to realize that I'm more comfortable watching a kids video and making my own evaluation rather than listen to someone like Bakas or anyone associated with one of the big sites.

Well, I'll have to disagree...Bakas has been pretty on target when calling out guys who will just be JAG....so if that's what he thinks on Thompson, pass.

Well, I'll have to disagree...Bakas has been pretty on target when calling out guys who will just be JAG....so if that's what he thinks on Thompson, pass.

As opposed to Al Golden? Ok.

Sorry- I just do not believe we are offering Thompson. My guy coaches the kid and says he is not the goods. I will go with my source and btw he states the kid is not smart. My guys is a huge Cane but ECU sounds about right from his take.

As opposed to Al Golden? Ok.

Al gets the benefit of the doubt for now, but I won't shed a tear if Thompson isn't in this class

Advertisement
Back