Lu, analysis of defense vs FSU?

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
How do you grade Donofrios effort vs FSU? I'm not an x's and o's guy so your pregame analysis is somewhat over my pay grade. Did the situations you mentioned arise and did he react well?

Advertisement
How do you grade Donofrios effort vs FSU? I'm not an x's and o's guy so your pregame analysis is somewhat over my pay grade. Did the situations you mentioned arise and did he react well?

Best game of the year and it's not close, IMO. Better than the effort vs OSU and GTech. I'll give some detail when I finish up some work.

Best game of the year and it's not close, IMO. Better than the effort vs OSU and GTech. I'll give some detail when I finish up some work.

I agree, I'm interested to hear your thoughts. It seemed like he had the CB's playing closer to the WR's which helped and it was big game for our LB's.

Haven't re-watched the game yet, waiting on general anger and disappointment to did down, but clearly the D did enough for us to win.

Advertisement
Well, without getting into any video breakdown, let's just call out some facts:

- Miami held FSU to 259 total yards on 52 plays. That's a hair under 5 yards per play at 4.98. In their previous three games, FSU averaged 6.2 yards per play.

- Miami held FSU to 13 total first downs and 3 first downs in 1st half!

- On 29 rush attempts, Miami allowed 2.2 yards per carry.

- Miami held FSU to ONE offensive TD the entire game, and it was one of the strangest plays (a seeming surefire turnover) we'll see for a while.

The reason I'm more impressed with this defensive performance than the two other standout performances (OSU and Gtech) this season is because this was the only team of those three that could realistically hurt us through the air. In fact, if you read my pre-game stuff, I fully expected them to spread out our defense and pick up chunks of yardage in 3 specific ways: read-option (through the QB), seam routes in the middle of the field, and lack of Safety range.

FSU only took advantage of the Safety range - particularly on that Touchdown. However, it was a perfect defensive call, the defender was in almost flawless pre-snap position and, again, it was a very awkward result.

I feel hamstrung giving a breakdown of the game without any video support, but I can say I felt comfortable that Coach D mixed up coverages decently well. We saw some press. We saw 2 Safeties over the top. We saw some interesting games/stunts with Vernon as a DT in pass rush situations. The most impressive thing from the defense last Saturday was that they played team football. Solid angles and solid tackling. It goes to show you that the team doesn't *necessarily* need superstars to play solid defense against an opponent that was NOT one dimensional.

When the videos go up, I'll get into it more.

It goes to show you that the team doesn't *necessarily* need superstars to play solid defense against an opponent that was NOT one dimensional.

If you take nothing else from it, this is extremely encouraging. We played well with several guys starting at positions which should be markedly upgraded the next few years.

agree with you pregame takes, Lu. I too thought state would work the read option and hit the seam routes verse our cover three zone. Although Fisher didn't dial up as many bubble and tunnel perimeter screens as I thought he would his offense did click on the few that were called. In general, state's offense was unable to really get in sync. Coach D for the most part was able to dictate terms and tempo with the multiple fronts and coverages. We saw a lot of stuff being ran from odd fronts. Also, when you take breakdown film, take a look to see if we ran any double inverts. I thought I saw a few times where the safeties come down presnap as the corners started bailing. I might be wrong, but from my viewpoint I thought I saw that a few times

Advertisement
The part about taking good angles was interesting to note because R. Armstrong did not play and he takes quite possibly the worst angles ony S I have ever watched. I almost feel like this defense is better without him out there.

Hey take this to the football board fellas. Recruiting only on this board please. Mods lock this thread.

agree with you pregame takes, Lu. I too thought state would work the read option and hit the seam routes verse our cover three zone. Although Fisher didn't dial up as many bubble and tunnel perimeter screens as I thought he would his offense did click on the few that were called. In general, state's offense was unable to really get in sync. Coach D for the most part was able to dictate terms and tempo with the multiple fronts and coverages. We saw a lot of stuff being ran from odd fronts. Also, when you take breakdown film, take a look to see if we ran any double inverts. I thought I saw a few times where the safeties come down presnap as the corners started bailing. I might be wrong, but from my viewpoint I thought I saw that a few times

This the same Dynasty from back over on Grassy?

Yes.

Advertisement

Yes.

Good to see ya around here. Always enjoyed your takes on football but I stopped reading the football board over there at least 5 years ago, so wasn't sure if you were still around.

Advertisement
Back