LSU's Defense- a throwback to old JJ defenses/myth about S&C

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
That LSU defense reminds me of the old JJ defenses that had fast smaller players all over the field. With the exception of the DTs they are on the smallish side.

It's funny, for years people have griped about the S&C program under Swaysey and how much smaller UM was than the SEC defenses- with the LSU defense being mentioned the most given Moffits ties.

The fact is that LSU's defense is no where near the size of UMs. Their two DEs are 235 and 245. Their LBs are 212-227. They have two large DTs but other than that they are more reminiscent of the Canes defenses of the 80s.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This won't go over big with all the people who can tell how strong someone is by "looks". LSU has some pretty good football players who also happen to be good/great athletes.

There's more to "Strength & Conditioning", than how much a player weighs.

LSU's physicality/power/quickness/agility/fast-twitch muscles are off the charts compared to our guys.

JMO

That LSU defense reminds me of the old JJ defenses that had fast smaller players all over the field. With the exception of the DTs they are on the smallish side.

It's funny, for years people have griped about the S&C program under Swaysey and how much smaller UM was than the SEC defenses- with the LSU defense being mentioned the most given Moffits ties.

The fact is that LSU's defense is no where near the size of UMs. Their two DEs are 235 and 245. Their LBs are 212-227. They have two large DTs but other than that they are more reminiscent of the Canes defenses of the 80s.

What are the sizes of their DBs? They look like gargoyles.

Advertisement
The two corners are 177,180. Safeties are 195, 200. Significantly smaller than Kirkpatrick and co.

There's an interesting article about their S&C program in WSJ about Miles changed the program to get ready to play teams like Oregon. They wanted to get leaner and more explosive.

The two corners are 177,180. Safeties are 195, 200. Significantly smaller than Kirkpatrick and co.

There's an interesting article about their S&C program in WSJ about Miles changed the program to get ready to play teams like Oregon. They wanted to get leaner and more explosive.

I know Eric Reid is pretty slight still, but he's only a true Soph. I like the comparison because our guys used to "look" bigger simply because they were so explosive. These guys look like missiles. I saw a fairly lean Eric Reid fill an alley yesterday on an outside run. It was a sight to see.

Advertisement
Back