LSU - UCF Fiesta Bowl

I never said bama was scared to play them...but go ahead and put words in my mouth. Simply pointing out that there are logistics to this. It's not as simple as you all make it seem. It's like everyone on here saying we just need an innovative OC to fix our problems. yes on the surface that's the answer, but there are things that come into play (like CMR signing off on it). Sure they can get all the big name schools to sign up, but it wouldn't be for several years anyways since schedules are made well in advance.

I'm just providing additional info, you have your opinion which is fine. At the end of the day neither of our opinions matter and will change anything.
I was just making a sarcastic joke, nuprin. I didn't mean to imply YOU had said that.

Advertisement
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-usf-gators-ucf-home-games-20180522-story.html

Seems UCF needs to decide what is more important to them: scheduling the games needed to have a realistic shot at making the playoffs even if it isn't always a home and away, or sticking to their guns on scheduling out of principle or for financial reasons and being right where they are no matter how many games in a row they win.

Not saying it's fair, but it is what it is. So everyone needs to stop with the "the current system does not allow a school like UCF to make the playoffs"-narrative. It was articulated very well earlier in this thread had challenging and unfair it is, but there is a way. And, no, marquee P5 teams aren't "scared" to play the Knights, they just have the ability to force it to be done on their own terms or not do it at all. Tough sh-it, UCF, life isn't fair. You want the respect you so eagerly crave? Then go do whatever the **** has to be done to make it happen. Period.

I'm with you on this one man...UCF should take a 2 for 1 with any marquee school. It would be better than a 1 game road trip since you at least get a return visit.

Why is it that a school like Houston managed to get OU on the schedule? Why is it that Toledo and Appy St. got Miami? UCF was pure garbage when this set of schedules were created. No one would have been scared of then then. No one is scared now, UCF knows that if they whine, simps will take up their cause. Why risk a loss when you can maybe whine your way in?

I agree with you...get the big game schedule, not matter what it takes. UCF has Stanford in Orlando next year, and have P5 games scheduled (yes they beat the Coastal champs easily), albeit not the big boys yet. They really got screwed by hurricanes the last 2 years as 2 P5 games were cancelled (not saying that those would've got them into the CFB either years). Point being is they are trying...but they need to try HARDER, at all costs.

I agree with you...get the big game schedule, not matter what it takes. UCF has Stanford in Orlando next year, and have P5 games scheduled (yes they beat the Coastal champs easily), albeit not the big boys yet. They really got screwed by hurricanes the last 2 years as 2 P5 games were cancelled (not saying that those would've got them into the CFB either years). Point being is they are trying...but they need to try HARDER, at all costs.

Bottom line is that they have an AD that gives a **** while we have a tranny train driver who is clueless...
...results will follow..

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-usf-gators-ucf-home-games-20180522-story.html

Seems UCF needs to decide what is more important to them: scheduling the games needed to have a realistic shot at making the playoffs even if it isn't always a home and away, or sticking to their guns on scheduling out of principle or for financial reasons and being right where they are no matter how many games in a row they win.

Not saying it's fair, but it is what it is. So everyone needs to stop with the "the current system does not allow a school like UCF to make the playoffs"-narrative. It was articulated very well earlier in this thread had challenging and unfair it is, but there is a way. And, no, marquee P5 teams aren't "scared" to play the Knights, they just have the ability to force it to be done on their own terms or not do it at all. Tough sh-it, UCF, life isn't fair. You want the respect you so eagerly crave? Then go do whatever the **** has to be done to make it happen. Period.

You missed the point. UCF doesn't get into the playoffs if they had UF on schedule this year and I gave an example as to why. The amount of **** needed for ANY G-5 school is ridiculous. It's not about life being fair, it's about having the system make sense.

UCF only played 11 games this year. If their 12th game was a win against UF, the committee wouldn't count that as much pull to get them into the CFP top 4. They need way too much **** to happen not accounting for winning their own **** games.

Scheduling for most season's are done 2-4, some times 5 years in advance. If UCF scheduled LSU and West Virginia right now, for the 2020-2021 season, both away games, and they go undefeated...whose to say that by 2021 LSU hasn't fallen to a 6 win SEC team on a down year with Ed Orgeron, while West Virginia ain't even respected because Dana Holgorsen bolted after a good 2019 season and they're a 4 win Big-12 team without him.

You're not just asking a G5 team to bite the bullet and play 7 away games in a year. You're also saying they need to predict the future and hope whoever they schedule is still a quality opponent. If you think I'm going overboard let me remind you that Nebraska under Bo Pelini came off consecutive 10 wins (2009 and 2010)when we scheduled them for a Home and Away. This was a quality Non-conference game. After 2014 Bo Pelini got fired and we ended up playing against Mike Riley in year 1, and when we beat them in Game 3 of the season it still seemed like a quality win...until they finished with 6 wins that year.

Advertisement
You missed the point. UCF doesn't get into the playoffs if they had UF on schedule this year and I gave an example as to why. The amount of **** needed for ANY G-5 school is ridiculous. It's not about life being fair, it's about having the system make sense.

UCF only played 11 games this year. If their 12th game was a win against UF, the committee wouldn't count that as much pull to get them into the CFP top 4. They need way too much **** to happen not accounting for winning their own **** games.

Scheduling for most season's are done 2-4, some times 5 years in advance. If UCF scheduled LSU and West Virginia right now, for the 2020-2021 season, both away games, and they go undefeated...whose to say that by 2021 LSU hasn't fallen to a 6 win SEC team on a down year with Ed Orgeron, while West Virginia ain't even respected because Dana Holgorsen bolted after a good 2019 season and they're a 4 win Big-12 team without him.

You're not just asking a G5 team to bite the bullet and play 7 away games in a year. You're also saying they need to predict the future and hope whoever they schedule is still a quality opponent. If you think I'm going overboard let me remind you that Nebraska under Bo Pelini came off consecutive 10 wins (2009 and 2010)when we scheduled them for a Home and Away. This was a quality Non-conference game. After 2014 Bo Pelini got fired and we ended up playing against Mike Riley in year 1, and when we beat them in Game 3 of the season it still seemed like a quality win...until they finished with 6 wins that year.
Good points. But I think I disagree with your first comment. If UCF had a win over a UF team that is top ten right now and headed to a NY6 bowl (I get that a loss to UCF may have knocked that down, but maybe not much) they **** well may have gotten in as an undefeated #4. At the very least they would have been in consideration; whereas, their current resume didn't even have them in the conversation.

Or let's look at last year... if they had beaten Auburn in the regular season, do you think they would have made it last year? I do.

But your points above (and I think you and I had this discussion earlier in this thread) are very valid. It is presently very difficult for a G5 team to get in; everything has to align perfectly. I just take issue with it being presented by many as "impossible". That doesn't mean I disagree the system should be changed though.

Last edited:
If cfu wins this one things could possibly change concerning non power 5 conference teams being in the playoffs.especially if the politicians in Washington make a case for it.

In the current format, they don't have to change anything. The only thing that can really be forced is virtually-automatic bids or something for undefeated top 10 teams with an 8 conference playoff.

1)....SEC power Auburn was ranked #7 last year when they beat them. LSU isin't even in the top 10 this year. What would change people's minds whose minds weren't changed this past offseason?

2) We have to keep in mind that they're trying to keep around what CFB is kinda built around to begin with,...which is exclusion (aside from 1 to two teams that had a chance at a MNC @ year's end).

The old-heads aren't going to give that dynamic up without a fight.

Good points. But I think I disagree with your first comment. If UCF had a win over a UF team that is top ten right now and headed to a NY6 bowl (I get that a loss to UCF may have knocked that down, but maybe not much) they **** well may have gotten in as an undefeated #4. At the very least they would have been in the consideration; whereas, their current resume didn't even have them in the conversation.

Or let's look at last year... if they had beaten Auburn in the regular season, do you think they would have made it last year? I do.

But your points above (and I think you and I had this discussion earlier in this thread) are very valid. It is presently very difficult for a G5 team to get in. I just take issue with it being presented by many as "impossible". That doesn't mean I disagree the system should be changed though.

I agree that would make things a lot more interesting than a win over UF this year. After checking both schedules, Auburn played Mercer on Sept. 16, while UCF had a canceled game against GT that day. They'd fit perfectly into that slot.

But actually getting that game scheduled? UCF would've had to be super ballsy and schedule Auburn coming off their NC game loss to FSU in 2013 to get that game though. If they scheduled it any other year, Auburn was 3-9 in 2012 (weak game to schedule and pound your chest about), and was an 8 win team at best in 2011, and 2014-2015 in terms of scheduling 2+ years prior.

In the current format, they don't have to change anything. The only thing that can really be forced is virtually-automatic bids or something for undefeated top 10 teams with an 8 conference playoff.

1)....SEC power Auburn was ranked #7 last year when they beat them. LSU isin't even in the top 10 this year. What would change people's minds whose minds weren't changed this past offseason?

2) We have to keep in mind that they're trying to keep around what CFB is kinda built around to begin with,...which is exclusion (aside from 1 to two teams that had a chance at a MNC @ year's end).

The old-heads aren't going to give that dynamic up without a fight.
Your not getting what I'm saying.the good old boys don't want to give it up.but they'll give in when the politicians in dc come around asking questions or are intent on changing the format to include non power 5 conferences.do you realize if they used today's format back in the 70s&80s schools like miami and byu would've never had the opportunity to win a championship.

Advertisement
I'm backing up the truck on lsu if that line stays that low. Lsu is better than auburn. They will run at will on ucf....and it isn't an aac defense they are going against. Ucf will be up for it and keep it close first half..but u expect a 2 score loss

S/O to UCF, they're a good up and coming program, but LSU will be too much.

LSU 24
UCF 10

Advertisement
Back